Old 17-08-2005, 03:17 AM
gardengal

Default Weeds as tall as I am!

I have a large (really large, like 50 feet by 50 feet) shade garden in
my backyard, but it is being completely overrun by weeds. I am trying
to come up with a way to get rid of the weeds (and keep them from
coming back!) without killing off the beautiful trees, ferns, hostas
and other perennials growing throughout. I have used thick layers of
newspaper covered with mulch in smaller areas with a great deal of
success, but this is such a large area (and the weeds are soo tall!),
I'm looking for other suggestions. Any thoughts?

Old 17-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Toni

"gardengal" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a large (really large, like 50 feet by 50 feet) shade garden in
my backyard, but it is being completely overrun by weeds. I am trying
to come up with a way to get rid of the weeds (and keep them from
coming back!) without killing off the beautiful trees, ferns, hostas
and other perennials growing throughout. I have used thick layers of
newspaper covered with mulch in smaller areas with a great deal of
success, but this is such a large area (and the weeds are soo tall!),
I'm looking for other suggestions. Any thoughts?

I spend something like six hours a week pulling weeds- let me know when you
find the elixir!

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 17-08-2005, 01:48 PM
madgardener

"gardengal" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a large (really large, like 50 feet by 50 feet) shade garden in
my backyard, but it is being completely overrun by weeds. I am trying
to come up with a way to get rid of the weeds (and keep them from
coming back!) without killing off the beautiful trees, ferns, hostas
and other perennials growing throughout. I have used thick layers of
newspaper covered with mulch in smaller areas with a great deal of
success, but this is such a large area (and the weeds are soo tall!),
I'm looking for other suggestions. Any thoughts?

welcome back Pam!!!!!!!

I have some sort of grassy weed myself that is ONLY above my
knees.........................I would suggest you invest in a machete, and
whack the weeds back by half with the blade. Stop and drink some iced tea,
whack away at some more. Rest and do this a little at a time depending on
what your weather is like right now. If you do chunks of this, you'll be
surprised at how quickly you will get the weeds down to managable size, and
then honestly, I'd weed whack the rest of them. As badly as the weeds are,
I'd almost say cut all the perennials down to the ground that are through
blooming, their strong roots will give you display next spring.

Once you have the weeds whacked down to managable height, you can seek out
local neighborhood teenagers willing to be paid for a couple of hours work.
A twenty sounds piddling, but that would be $10 an hour................You
could also provide soda pop and pizza and make it a weeding
party.........that way you could watch the plants you want to try and save
from their efforts.

Keep us posted. GREAT that you're back!!

madgardener up on the weedy, grassy overgrown ridge, back in Fairy Holler,
where the foundation of my house is collapsing after rains we received last
week, overlooking a hazy and humid English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee,
zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 17-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Ben

Just keep pulling the bloody things, sooner or later you'll get ahead
of them. That's what we all do and we love it! Right gang? LOL.

Old 17-08-2005, 08:00 PM
raycruzer

There are also a number of long-handled weed pullers that could make
your labor less stressful. A good list of these weed tools can be seen
at the World of Weeds at www.ergonica.com/Garden_Tools.htm.

High speed weeding can also be a good calorie burner and aerobic
exercise. For more info on high speed weeding visit
www.ergonica.com/grooming.htm.

_________
WEEDING: Enjoy the work!
www.ergonica.com

Old 18-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Salty Thumb

"gardengal" wrote in news:1124245032.174061.137820
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I have a large (really large, like 50 feet by 50 feet) shade garden in
my backyard, but it is being completely overrun by weeds. I am trying
to come up with a way to get rid of the weeds (and keep them from
coming back!) without killing off the beautiful trees, ferns, hostas
and other perennials growing throughout. I have used thick layers of
newspaper covered with mulch in smaller areas with a great deal of
success, but this is such a large area (and the weeds are soo tall!),
I'm looking for other suggestions. Any thoughts?

1-800-RENT-A-BUFFALO ?
Old 18-08-2005, 08:08 AM
presley

You could also use a long-handled lopper, cut all the weeds down to near
soil level, and then use newspaper and mulch. Some of the thicker stemmed
weeds would probably poke through, but you could keep after them more
easily.
"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
t...
How about hiring some neighbor kids to pull them out for you?

oups.com...