Old 05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Don and Marcy

Default Sticky Webs in our Hedges

Hi,

We have hedges in our yard which are infested with something which produces webs on the undersides of the leaves. There are lots of other bugs at the roots too. The stems in the center of the hedge are nearly bare of leaves but are still green with sap when trimmed down.

We are thinking to cut these hedges back and treat them aggressively with something to slow down the infestation. We are thinking about dilute boric acid but do not know if that will kill the plants or the suppress the infestation.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Don

--
Don Krieger

Old 05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
told2b

Don and Marcy wrote:
We are thinking to cut these hedges back and treat them aggressively with something to slow down the infestation. We are thinking about dilute boric acid but do not know if that will kill the plants or the suppress the infestation.

Will likely kill the plants. Boron is toxic to most plants.
Trace amounts are OK.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:17 PM
paghat

In article .com,
"told2b" wrote:

Don and Marcy wrote:
We are thinking to cut these hedges back and treat them aggressively

with something to slow down the infestation. We are thinking about dilute
boric acid but do not know if that will kill the plants or the suppress
the infestation.

Will likely kill the plants. Boron is toxic to most plants.
Trace amounts are OK.

Plus boron doesn't wash through soil but bonds & lingers. Two applications
can be enough to render an area of soil permanently unable to sustain
plant life. The number of people following some dumbass Hint from Heloise
style advise, who discover they destroyed their yard attempting to harrass
ants or get rid of creeping charlie, is truly pitiful.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Hal

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:30:35 GMT, "Don and Marcy"
wrote:

We have hedges in our yard which are infested with something which produces webs on the undersides of the leaves. There are lots of other bugs at the roots too. The stems in the center of the hedge are nearly bare of leaves but are still green with sap when trimmed down.

Where are you?
What kind of hedge plants?
What kind of bugs?

You might want to look in the manual and find the closest focusing
distance on your digital camera and post pictures on a binary group
and leave a message here.

Regards,

Hal

[IMG] code is On

Extra strong spiders webs this year? mogga United Kingdom 19 14-10-2011 07:59 AM
webs on rosemary Anony moose Gardening 3 09-06-2006 02:48 AM
Tiny red mites creating webs on my leaves scs0 Ponds 9 23-08-2003 11:02 PM
Walking into spider webs ruth Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:35 AM