Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Persephone

Default African violet won't bloom

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

--

Persephone

Old 09-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Persephone wrote:
Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

--

Persephone

They do need a fair amount of light, as well as regular light feeding.
Also, you need to groom it from to time. Google on "African Violet
care", and sort out the hits. You'll find lots of useful info - too much
probably. Your local library will certainly have a houseplant book or
two that deals with African violets. Books are nice -- you can take them
with you anywhere, and you don't have to plug them in to read them. :-)

Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Tom Randy

On 2005-10-08 19:24:51 -0400, Persephone said:

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

MORE light and are you fertilizing it?

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old 09-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Persephone

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:24:44 GMT, Tom Randy

On 2005-10-08 19:24:51 -0400, Persephone said:

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

MORE light and are you fertilizing it?

Not MORE light, it is getting the max right where it
is -- Western light. fertilizing, I put in some of
those "spikes" but they haven't done much good, bloom-wise.

Anybody have experience w/African violets that can
suggest optimum type of fertilizer?

This site:

http://www.african-violets.com/tips.htm

has some interesting advice, including NOT
a clay pot!

Your reactions to that site, and your recommendations
for fertilizer would be appreciated. Personal experience is so
valuable!

Tx.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Powerless Agronomist

Persephone wrote in message

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

--

Persephone

They don't like too much space in a pot, all of mine are in a small pots and
all are blooming, standard fertiliser, window on north.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Travis

On 2005-10-08 19:24:51 -0400, Persephone said:

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

MORE light and are you fertilizing it?

Not MORE light, it is getting the max right where it
is -- Western light. fertilizing, I put in some of
those "spikes" but they haven't done much good, bloom-wise.

Anybody have experience w/African violets that can
suggest optimum type of fertilizer?

This site:

http://www.african-violets.com/tips.htm

has some interesting advice, including NOT
a clay pot!

Your reactions to that site, and your recommendations
for fertilizer would be appreciated. Personal experience is so
valuable!

Tx.

I purchase "African Violet" fertilizer, most recently at Home
Depot.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 AM
B & J

On 2005-10-08 19:24:51 -0400, Persephone said:

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

Use Schultz's Bloom (5-30-5) at half recommended strength every two weeks
when you water or something similar that has a low nitrogen number. Keep it
in an east or north window during the summer and a west window during the
winter. African violets do well under a grow light that is left on for
sixteen hours. Small grow lights are available that are especially adapted
for dark corners. Keep it evenly moist but never sopping wet and never keep
it in a cold area. Water it from the bottom to prevent leaf spotting.

John

John

Old 12-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Persephone

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:24:51 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon.
I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light,
fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

Thanks to all for excellent suggestions. Appreciate
your help. I'll post an announcement if/when
the Sleeper Awakes g

--
Persephone