Old 18-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Donald Gares

Default Another "whatisit" :-)

Ok everyone, point your browsers to http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm
and take a look. We just noticed this vine around a trellis that also
has a Clematis on it. Although it is possible that it was there before,
we have never noticed it and sure would like to know what it is.

Please note the seed pods.....it is not a Clematis, is it?

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Old 18-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Vox Humana

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
Ok everyone, point your browsers to http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm
and take a look. We just noticed this vine around a trellis that also
has a Clematis on it. Although it is possible that it was there before,
we have never noticed it and sure would like to know what it is.

Please note the seed pods.....it is not a Clematis, is it?

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Definitely hyacinth bean. Collect the pods after they turn brown and dry on
the vine and plant in the late spring outside or start inside in late
winter. I remove the beans from the dry pods and soak in warm water over
night before planting. They like the heat. The pods on mine are starting
to dry now.

Old 18-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Donald Gares

Vox Humana wrote:
"Donald Gares" wrote in message

Ok everyone, point your browsers to http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm
and take a look. We just noticed this vine around a trellis that also
has a Clematis on it. Although it is possible that it was there before,
we have never noticed it and sure would like to know what it is.

Please note the seed pods.....it is not a Clematis, is it?

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Definitely hyacinth bean. Collect the pods after they turn brown and dry on
the vine and plant in the late spring outside or start inside in late
winter. I remove the beans from the dry pods and soak in warm water over
night before planting. They like the heat. The pods on mine are starting
to dry now.

Hey, thanks to both of you.

What we don't understand is when we look them up it states that they are
grown as a perennial in zones 8-9 and as an annual in zones lower than
that. Well, we are in zone 5 (southeast IA) and we sure didn't plant
them so how did they get in our flower garden? Might they have managed
to winter over this far north?

Don & Rhonda

Old 18-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Vox Humana

Vox Humana wrote:
[...]

Most likely the seed found its way to your garden. I may have come along
with a plant or an animal may have deposited it. The seeds seem to be able
to over winter and then sprout the next year. I got my seeds from a local
nursery that grew them on a fence (yes, I asked before taking the seeds.)
This year they didn't plant the vine, but I noticed a few volunteers. I am
in zone 6. I collected a large number of pods last year from the few plants
that I grew. I started some myself, and gave away some seed and I still had
way too many. I looks like I will repeat the cycle this year.

Old 18-10-2005, 08:36 PM
told2b

A gift from some bird; a seed in applied mulch; a volunteer in some
plant
brought home from the garden center; unearthed from below the frost
line
when the soil was worked? Who knows?
Collect the pods, let then dry, store the seeds in a cold place and
plant
them around May 15 next year. See how long you can keep this freebie
going.

Old 19-10-2005, 11:21 AM
madgardener

have any extra seeds, Vox??
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler needing some of those
awesome black and white seeds to try and establish next
spring.....................g
.. .

Old 19-10-2005, 11:24 AM
madgardener

oo, oo, oo, if youse has extras this year.........e-mail me and I'll gladly
take a few dozen of em'!! (I might be able to snarf up some swamp sunflower
seed from the sparce plants the fairies bequeathed me this year, I expected
a field of them and the joke was on me, I got five plants. Looks like
coreopsis gone haywire. I LOVE it!!! So this time I'm deliberately
gathering up seeds and dispersing them......before the finches strip the
seeds I have.......
madgardener
.. .

Old 19-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Cheryl Cato

The drought here made my crop this year non-existent - but if you're
willingto give some one year old seed a shot I have plenty to share.

"madgardener" wrote:
have any extra seeds, Vox??
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler needing some of those
awesome black and white seeds to try and establish next
. ..

Old 20-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Donald Gares

Hey, everyone who requested seeds......

If you actually want some AND we have some extras we will certainly
share them. Just e-mail " (one of our domains) and IF
we have them available we will send you some.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda