Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Jenny

Default Finally lost my rose last night!

My dianthus, miniature rose and snapdragons finally bought it in last
night's hard frost. They were flowering along merrily until then.

This is pretty bizarre. I'm on a hill near the NH/VT/MA border. I have
never before had flowers alive anywhere near this late before. Usually
they're gone by the second week of October.

--Jenny
Old 13-11-2005, 07:26 PM

Jenny wrote:
My dianthus, miniature rose and snapdragons finally bought it in last
night's hard frost. They were flowering along merrily until then.

This is pretty bizarre. I'm on a hill near the NH/VT/MA border. I have
never before had flowers alive anywhere near this late before. Usually
they're gone by the second week of October.

--Jenny

Hi Jenny, why don't you send this as an email to the Environmental
Wackos who are telling us of Global Warming, when scientifically..it's
baloney!

Michael

Old 14-11-2005, 08:23 AM
presley

Would these "environmental wackos" include Harvard Professor James McCarthy?
Perhaps, Michael (caseri9), you need to enroll in:

Global Warming 101

"Building on earlier climate science work by William Herschel, John Tyndall
and Joseph Fourier, investigations regarding humans' role in global warming
began in 1896, when Nobel Prize-winning physicist Svante Arrhenius examined
contributions of carbon dioxide emissions to increases in atmospheric
temperature. In the 1930s, meteorologist G.S. Callendar gathered temperature
records from more than 200 weather stations around the world and attributed
temperature increases to greenhouse gas emissions from industry.

In the 1950s, Gilbert Plass' research on atmospheric CO2 and infrared
radiation absorption added to a growing scientific consensus that humans
contribute to global warming. In 1956, Plass announced that human activities
were raising the average global temperature.

Also, beginning in 1958, Charles David Keeling began to document atmospheric
carbon dioxide levels from Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii. His findings of a
dramatic increase in CO2-referred to as the "Keeling Curve"-are considered
some of the most important long-term data relating to humans' role in global
warming. Additionally, 1966 and 1977 United States National Academy of
Sciences reports made clear links between human activities and global
warming.

NASA scientist James Hansen's 1988 testimony to the U.S. Congress marked
solidified scientific concern for human-caused global warming. He said he
was "99 percent certain" that warmer temperatures were caused by the burning
of fossil fuels and not solely a result of natural variation and that "it is
time to stop waffling so much and say that the evidence is pretty strong
that the greenhouse effect is here."

Since the formation of the IPCC in 1988 by the United Nations Environment
Program and the World Meteorological Organization, a steady flow of IPCC
reports have continued to support the notion that humans are contributing to
global warming. For example, in 1990 at the World Climate Conference in
Geneva, over 700 scientists from around the world gathered to review the
IPCC First Scientific Assessment Report in order to set the stage for the
crafting of the 1992 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
(UNFCCC). After their review, they released the Scientists' Declaration,
which focused on human-caused global warming, and read, "A clear scientific
consensus has emerged on estimates of the range of global warming that can
be expected during the 21st century.... Countries are urged to take
immediate actions to control the risks of climate change." Another salient
assertion regarding human contributions to warming manifested in the Second
Scientific Assessment Report, released in 1995. The consensus statement
strongly asserted that there has been "a discernible human influence" on the
global climate."
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1978

Old 14-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Jenny

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I still have an allium and a mum still in bloom! I think one aster is still
going, I have to take a walk to that side of the yard. It has been mild here
in southern NH as well.

Cheryl

Turns out I spoke too soon! Though there was a thick white frost on my
lawn the day I posted the original message, I went out today to find
that the rose, snapdragons, and most of the dianthus are still alive and
have flowers. I did lose some blue salvia I'd forgotten to mention.

The rose is blooming against a rock outcropping which probably holds
heat. The other stuff must just be tougher than nails as it is on an
exposed hillside.
--Jenny

http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info