Old 23-12-2005, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

Default growing a walnut tree

Sitting here munching away on a bowl of walnuts got me thinking i would like
my own tree. Anyone know if they will grow in a zone 5 (Canada)?
--
Lynn

Old 24-12-2005, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Lynn wrote:
Sitting here munching away on a bowl of walnuts got me thinking i would like
my own tree. Anyone know if they will grow in a zone 5 (Canada)?

Yes, but you will wait quite a while before they produce. Go see your
local nursery/garden center in the spring.

Good luck!
Old 24-12-2005, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Lynn" wrote:

Sitting here munching away on a bowl of walnuts got me thinking i would like
my own tree. Anyone know if they will grow in a zone 5 (Canada)?

The ones you are eating are English Walnuts. You can't grow them. They
are not that hardy. There is an hardy (zone 5) edible walnut called
Carpathian Walnut. I have never tried it, but your local garden centers
may know where to get them.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 24-12-2005, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Honeybee

Black Walnut, Juglans nigra, grows in zone 5. It is a beautiful but messy
tree. It also attracts squirrels by the thousands. Not suitable for small,
urban yards.

Old 24-12-2005, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Honeybee" wrote:

Black Walnut, Juglans nigra, grows in zone 5. It is a beautiful but messy
tree. It also attracts squirrels by the thousands. Not suitable for small,
urban yards.

Not the best for eating either. The English and Carpathian are the best
eating and cooking walnuts.

Old 24-12-2005, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karl Warner

"Stephen Henning" wrote in messageowadays
Not the best for eating either. The English and Carpathian are the best
eating and cooking walnuts.

I agree yet I found that first sentence jarring ... cannot let it pass.
Perhaps the word "eating" needs clarification. I grew up in a farming
community in the central US. As a child I earned pocket money by hulling,
cracking and picking black walnuts. Very labor intensive but, hey, it was
darn good money in those days. I doubt if they are available now, but to
me, no other walnut compares. Comparable would be hickory nuts. (I supplied
them also.)
--- Karl Warner

Old 24-12-2005, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

I have 2 English walnuts (northern Delaware), about 20 years old, and
never get nuts. They fall before mature and squirrels eat when
immature. I've tried spraying and wrapping with squirrel deterents to
no avail. Squirrels will jump maybe 10 ft between trees. Sorry I grew
them.
Frank

Old 24-12-2005, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

great! I don't waiting, the winter time is a great time to make a wish list
for the spring
--
Lynn

.. .

Old 24-12-2005, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

I live in a rural area so no problem there ticking off the neighbors with a
messy tree.
--
Lynn

.. .

Old 25-12-2005, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

Well there are some inaccuracies in your statements. Carpathian walnuts are
the same species as English walnuts, just a hardier variety of the same
species found growing in Eastern Europe. Black Walnuts are great for eating
and rich in oils - but have a very hard shell and outer hull - some people
have found they do best by driving their cars over the outer hulls to
separate out the walnuts.

Old 25-12-2005, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"Karl Warner" wrote in message

to me, no other walnut compares. Comparable would be hickory nuts.

I agree with you, black walnuts are the best tasting of all but the
hardest to shell out. I also agree that hickory nuts are just as good,
but even harder to shell out. After eating these all my life, I just
don't like the walnuts that come from the retail store at all - like
eating cardboard in comparison!! This year was a bumper crop of both
black walnuts and hickory nuts in North Georgia.

Tom J

Old 25-12-2005, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"presley" wrote:

Well there are some inaccuracies in your statements. Carpathian walnuts are
the same species as English walnuts, just a hardier variety of the same
species found growing in Eastern Europe. Black Walnuts are great for eating
and rich in oils - but have a very hard shell and outer hull - some people
have found they do best by driving their cars over the outer hulls to
separate out the walnuts.

Most commercial walnuts are not species but hybrids. In California they
use 30 different hybrids of English Walnut (Juglan regina). In addition
to these commercial varieties, there are also different strains of
Juglan regina including the German, Italian or Carpathian which are
hardier and do well in colder climates. The original (English)
variation of the species planted in England came from Persia or Iran and
is much more tender. Hardier strains were collected from high in the
Carpathian Mountains, which extend from Slovakia and southern Poland
southeast through the Western Ukraine to northeast Romania.

The Persian/English strains will grow in the northeastern US where I
live but nut production is very poor or non existent. Harsh winters
leave a lot of dead branches. However, the Carpathian strains will do
quite well. They are usually grafted on English walnut or black walnut
rootstocks.

For a nice read on this visit:

http://www.songonline.ca/nuts/persian_walnut.htm

A parallel situation exists with Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii)
Christmas trees which are grown from seed collected in many different
states at many different elevations from Canada to Texas and from sea
level to over 6,000 ft. They are all the same species, but they are
quite different. By knowing latitude and altitude of where the seed was
collected, you can predict where it will do well.

The taxonomic handling of such variation is often handled by forming
subspecies or groups. The difference is not enough to form different
species, but quite significant when looking for source material for
different areas.

Old 25-12-2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

As kids we arrived at 2nd grade dyed up as savages with black walnut
hulls.
No doubt today they would expel you and attempt to imprison your
parents for such non PC behavior.

Old 25-12-2005, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karl Warner

"Tom J" wrote

to me, no other walnut compares. Comparable would be hickory nuts.

I agree with you, black walnuts are the best tasting of all but the
hardest to shell out. I also agree that hickory nuts are just as good, but
even harder to shell out. After eating these all my life, I just don't
like the walnuts that come from the retail store at all - like eating
cardboard in comparison!! This year was a bumper crop of both black
walnuts and hickory nuts in North Georgia.

Ahh, delightful... glad to hear that some still exist. It has been over 70
years since I wandered south of the Ohio River. Apparently not all your
woodlots have been converted to asphalt or soybeans. Do youngsters still go
to school in the Fall with brown stained hands? Forgive me for running this
off-thread. It is a lonely Christmas morning and I am wallowing in
nostalgia. One last question: Do you know if anyone even attempts to
harvest and market black walnuts? -- Karl