Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

Default A wonderful day just tooling around.................................

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

madgardener wrote:

(snip)

I'm very hard on myself, but over the years, after being sizzled by
internet strangers, I still feel the sting of criticisms. I just don't
let
them sting me as badly, is all.

The story of many on usenet I think. Rhino skin I call it ;o) And if
you don't mind, I took you to lunch today, in a steamed up tiny curry
cafe in central Manchester, and your text ended up with a bit of my
parsee dish and some drops from the sag prawn juice on it.

hmmmmmmm, that sounds interesting........I am thrilled that you took time to
print me out.......and since going to a tiny curry cafe in central
Manchester on printed paper might the only way I'll ever do it......then I
am thrilled that you considered me worthy enough to share me!

Tonight,
you're being shared with Kath, my horticulture teacher. She's from
Buffalo Minesota, left home for England around 30 years ago and like
you she says dawgs, and I just love it when she says bugs. I think
she'll appreaciate a bit of compatriot's warmth.

I hope so. If she's from Buffalo, Minnesota (two n's.....g) are you sure
Buffalo, Minnesota and not Buffalo, New York:?? gbseg then my zonal
musings must sound like tales from Florida. Her growing zone was more like
zone 4 with massive winters and beautiful lakes abounding everywhere, and
topsoil I've heard tales of that is FEET THICK!!!!!!!! I just love the
magic of internet that allows me to share a piece of myself........one day,
as I've repeated myself saying, I will find that one gardener who has
quietly read my stuff and for whatever reason, saved it in a little file of
text labled madgardener or whatever they've labled it and they'll come outa
the corner and tell me for postal fee's and paper or cd replacement (since
burning cd's is far easier than a floppy disk and I don't have a floppy
reader, anyway) they'll send me everything I've ever written since
discovering the magic and wonder of these garden newsgroups and the internet
and getting my computer. Before this, I wrote to my friends with a manual
Royal 440 typewriter!! PAGES!! Yes, my friend, Dian, out in Denver used to
get "Marilyn novella's" in the mail along with seeds, roots, tubers,
rhizomes and whatever else I packaged along at random times, regardless of
the season or time..

if that dream ever happens, THIS TIME (last time my mother board fried and I
lost a sweet lady's efforts to send me all my writings up to that time, it's
been a few years since, and I've tried to save my stuff better since then,
but even now I haven't saved everything onto disk like I should........) I
will make sure Squire saves every piece onto disk (I almost bet all my stuff
from all the years on wreck.gardens would fit onto two cd's.......) so that
I can print it out onto paper and put it somewhere until I can find a
publisher......(I say this while Maggie, my little 'Xena' female kitten is
settling into her favorite spot I've allowed her to make in front of my
monitor and behind my ergonomic keyboard....) off to wax on some thoughts
before going off to bed, hafta take Squire to his semi-truck tomorrow in the
wee hours of butt crack o'dark thirty to get him on his merry way towards
Illinois............
maddie

Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

madgardener writes

seriously, I'm sorry you have to go to such extremes because I forgot once
to cut out a post.

I didn't realise it was you! I just saw Bev's name quickly as I spaced
down. If I'd realised it was you I wouldn't have posted, since I know
you are aware of the need to snip and wouldn't deliberately not snip.
Sorry!

And I also realize that it's not just me, it's others
who forget

Absolutely - there were three repostings of that one piece!

I was under the assumption that as sophisticated as the internet and
wireless capabilities, satellite and providers and browsers had gotten, it
didn't matter like it did seven years ago.

There are some urglers who are still on dial-up, and pay according to
the length of the call, so it does still matter for some.

However, it's not bandwidth from my point of view (I'm on broadband) -
it's wear and tear on my wrists. Mousework gives me RSI, so instead of
clicking on posts I want to read, or clicking on the 'next unread'
button, I simply hit the space bar, which takes me, in sequence, to the
next screen of that post, the next unread post in the thread, the next
unread post in the next thread, the next newsgroup ... I think several
other urglers do this too.

So it is awfully annoying to have to hit the spacebar 12 times just
because someone has added one line!

I wondered about whether it was fair to ask others to snip just to save
my wrists, but in Turnpike it's not necessary - you can just highlight a
small fragment and 'quote selected' - in other words, in Turnpike at
least, I'm not asking people to go down 12 screens selecting and
deleting. I don't know if OE and all the various access routes have the
same facility. And, I suppose, the bottom line is that that in-line
quoting and snipping is the convention in this group, so it's not
unreasonable to ask newcomers to do that.

--
Kay
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
La Puce

madgardener wrote:
hmmmmmmm, that sounds interesting........I am thrilled that you took timeto
print me out.......and since going to a tiny curry cafe in central
Manchester on printed paper might the only way I'll ever do it......then I
am thrilled that you considered me worthy enough to share me!

Good dog yes! Just finished a fantastic book and cannot find anything
to follow such a superb story. So go girl, get writing will ya ...!!

I hope so. If she's from Buffalo, Minnesota (two n's.....g) are you sure
Buffalo, Minnesota and not Buffalo, New York:?? gbseg then my zonal
musings must sound like tales from Florida.

(snipette)

Off course you're right!!! New York it is. I've no idea why I said
minesota. She tells tales of lake Eery when she was a girl she couldn't
see the bottom of it until they started realising how polluted it was.
Now she says she can see the bottom of the lake which is only a couple
of metres deep!! She now lives in Radcliffe ... quite a strange place
to be from Buffalo, but there it is )

I just love the
magic of internet that allows me to share a piece of myself........

(snipette)

I like to archive - a habit I picked up from work I suppose - but also
I like visiting people I've met on the net. Last year we visited a
writter who I had met virtually, he was larger than what I imagined him
to be on usenet. It was a fantastic time and it turned out that he has
lots of novels in our book shops! So I got a couple signed and very
much enjoyed his swimming pool too, so did the kids ;o)

(snip)

Ergonomic keyboard hey, and a lil' kitten nearby. Well there's some
coincidence indeed! My young pub, Beulah, has just returned from a long
walk and is atm eyeing me. What she's waiting for is a robust rub with
her bath towel. Even when it doesn't rain, she asks for it.

Where does the name Sméagol comes from?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote

I just love the
magic of internet that allows me to share a piece of myself........

(snipette)

I like to archive - a habit I picked up from work I suppose - but also
I like visiting people I've met on the net.

(snip)

Ummmmmm. I've met a couple of people in RL that I'd 'met' on the
net..........and it's not always been a pleasure !

It's funny how some people write really well and then turn out to be pretentious
or boring in the flesh!

No names mentioned just in case they come across this post in googles archives
:~))

Jenny

Old 12-02-2006, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Ummmmmm. I've met a couple of people in RL that I'd 'met' on the
net..........and it's not always been a pleasure !
It's funny how some people write really well and then turn out to be pretentious
or boring in the flesh!
No names mentioned just in case they come across this post in googles archives
:~))

I've found that it's within the first posts that I know who I'd like to
meet in RL. You quickly get the age of the person, what they like etc.
and if you're going to like them. I've taken part in a few 'meet'. The
first time I was surprised how many bearded men there was! Once I met
someone, a lovely woman, with whom we started off on usenet by talking
about how hard it was to get clothes that fitted us. I didn't know she
was a big girl, nor did she know I was minute. We both assumed the
opposite and when we saw each other for the first time, it was so funny
as we kept saying 'is that *really* you?!' and we got on even more. We
still write to each others )

Old 13-02-2006, 02:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

madgardener wrote:
hmmmmmmm, that sounds interesting........I am thrilled that you took time
print me out.......and since going to a tiny curry cafe in central
Manchester on printed paper might the only way I'll ever do it......then I
am thrilled that you considered me worthy enough to share me!

Good dog yes! Just finished a fantastic book and cannot find anything
to follow such a superb story. So go girl, get writing will ya ...!!

I have some words bouncing around in me head as I sit here........g and I
ain't snipping this response, so if Kay doesn't like it, she won't see it!
LOL apparently she's blocked me........sigh......

I hope so. If she's from Buffalo, Minnesota (two n's.....g) are you
sure
Buffalo, Minnesota and not Buffalo, New York:?? gbseg then my zonal
musings must sound like tales from Florida.

(snipette)

Off course you're right!!! New York it is. I've no idea why I said
minesota. She tells tales of lake Erie when she was a girl she couldn't
see the bottom of it until they started realising how polluted it was.
Oh yeah, older, first settled area and glad they cleaned it up. My best
friend and her husband grew up in Buffalo, her mom was Russian immigrant, I
forget she's first generation here. she corrected me years ago about "when
you speak of the Civil war, you must remember my people were being chased by
the Czar when yours were dodging bullets of different kinds". Her husband
and partner in life and father of her four children has family that is
actually part of the Cornwallis family, but they changed how they spelled
it.................hmmmmmm.

My own current and LAST husband (28 years, but not my first hubby) grew up
nearer the other huge Great Lakes, he knew and loved Lake Michigan a huge
portion of his life. I met him in Denver, where I also met the life friend
from Buffalo who remains my friend still despite the miles. (and now she
resides in Oregon, and is twice as far and we still are great friends)

Now she says she can see the bottom of the lake which is only a couple
of metres deep!! She now lives in Radcliffe ... quite a strange place
to be from Buffalo, but there it is )

I just love the
magic of internet that allows me to share a piece of myself........

(snipette)

I like to archive - a habit I picked up from work I suppose - but also
I like visiting people I've met on the net. Last year we visited a
writter who I had met virtually, he was larger than what I imagined him
to be on usenet. It was a fantastic time and it turned out that he has
lots of novels in our book shops! So I got a couple signed and very
much enjoyed his swimming pool too, so did the kids ;o)

that's so neat! So far I've met a few gardening friends from rec.gardens.
I know Pen from down under is always threatening to come up and kick my arse
for being unable still to get my Clivia to bloom. (she has even sent me a
seedling baby of a yellow from one of many she hybridizes and sends to
nurseries around the world) through a nursery somewhere up in Michigan.
It's struggling along. One day I hope to honor her and get my silly plants
to bud for me, including the yellow. (you should see the picture of the one
she named for her daughter.....a soft peach/yellow/salmon/soft sherbet
orange one that leaves me drooling)
(snip)

Ergonomic keyboard hey, and a lil' kitten nearby. Well there's some
coincidence indeed! My young pub, Beulah, has just returned from a long
walk and is atm eyeing me. What she's waiting for is a robust rub with
her bath towel. Even when it doesn't rain, she asks for it.
Maggie is the newest feline addition. (there are four curmudgeon males of
neutered characters. All wonderous and individual. I had a great Aunt
Beulah, one of my dad's sisters...she worked the cotton mill until she was
released from having lung problems....from working the cotton mills....being
Southern, the women who didn't pick up the bad habit of smoking (no lady was
seen smoking, although they did, but those women were considered
tramps.....) the others did something more refined, but by my standards,
horrible.........Beula dipped snuff. She'd put a pinch of ground tobacco
between her lip and gums and would upon occaison need to spit. My
grandmammy also dipped, as did my grandpap........I can still hear my Great
Aunt Beula talking with that tight lipped drawl....g nothing like having
to locate the coffee can that served as the "spit cup" as a
child.................LOL

Where does the name Sméagol comes from?

that was Golum's true name before the ring of power from the Dark Lord in
Lord of the Rings changed him when he stole it from his brother, Dweegol
several hundred years before the quest. Gandolf brought to Frodo's
attention that once Sméagol had been a hobbit not quite unlike him, but the
ring had changed him over centuries. The puppy grumbled and ate voraciously
when we first got him, and since we were in the middle of the second movie
when we got him, we just decided to name him thusly. He still grumbles in
his throat. A vocal dawg......the hound is obvious at times of duress.
Sugar Dawg is Border Collie and Black Lab, but she and Sméagol are medium
sized dawgs.

thanks for hollering back at me! I am about to embark on a few thoughts.
maddie

Old 13-02-2006, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

"K" wrote in message

I didn't realise it was you! I just saw Bev's name quickly as I spaced
down. If I'd realised it was you I wouldn't have posted, since I know you
are aware of the need to snip and wouldn't deliberately not snip. Sorry!

I apologize too for my unwittingness. but I was teasing you in my last
appalled or horrified at things, and I just want to lighten up and smile
about it and move forwards. As tired as I was and it was strange to be
reading and checking rec.gardens from somewhere else. And the older style
mouse was a bit clumsy for me. That's the main reason I didn't scroll down
and erase the excess post before replying. Beverly was one of the original
posters in the newsgroup, back with Victoria who is quiet lately but I know
is still there. Pam (grdngal) is busy with her life too, and a few have
been lost due to AOL dropping newsgroups like "the other Marilyn" from Ohio,
I see Paghat upon occaison, a rare siting of Zennie, I wonder sometimes how
Toni down in Louisiana is doing since the devistation from the hurricane's.

And I also realize that it's not just me, it's others
who forget

Absolutely - there were three repostings of that one piece!

I saw that!

[...]

and you're right. the newbies need educating like I was once educated, and
occaisonally forget. I'm doing better, though.....I haven't lost that flamed
ass look for posting the jpg on the newsgroup for someone who innocently
asked me and like some idjet, I said "SURE!" and as soon as I hit send, I
realized I should have marked it OT. I got flamed and rightly so. I now
only send jpg's (reduced of course, since I don't have a website and am
still learning about photobucket) to those who want them and can download
without problems and post a few on the pictures binaries newsgroup. I don't
go there often though. sorry about the snafu.
madgardener

Old 13-02-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
La Puce

madgardener wrote:

(grand snipage)

thanks for hollering back at me! I am about to embark on a few thoughts.

We're all waiting ;o)

Old 13-02-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

madgardener writes

and I ain't snipping this response, so if Kay doesn't like it, she
won't see it! LOL apparently she's blocked me.

You're going to have to try better than that if you want to talk about
me behind my back! ;-)

I haven't blocked *you* specifically - I've blocked long posts.
--
Kay
Old 13-02-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Sacha

On 13/2/06 19:17, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 13/2/06 17:37, in article
, "K"
wrote:

madgardener writes

and I ain't snipping this response, so if Kay doesn't like it, she
won't see it! LOL apparently she's blocked me.

You're going to have to try better than that if you want to talk about
me behind my back! ;-)

I haven't blocked *you* specifically - I've blocked long posts.

Maddie's posts are long but I really do hope you don't miss them. Have you
been getting them because I think they're right up your street?

Yeah, I have been getting them, but I've been getting fed up of getting
reposts of very long posts from people just adding a line or two, so
have decided just to block long posts. I think I'm getting too old for
the internet.

Not you! Never. Hell's teeth, Kay! If that's the case, not only am I older
than you but - well, never mind! It's not THAT big an issue, is it? Really?
Irritating, I'll grant you but not life-changing. IME, American groups
don't snip as much as UK groups do because of the different phone line
charges thang. It's not malicious or selfish or unkind - it's just
different. So - to our visitors in rec.gardens from YOUR visitors in
uk.rec.gardening, may we Brits request that you snip when crossposting to
urg because to some of us, time is money, truly. Thanks.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-02-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Sacha writes

Yeah, I have been getting them, but I've been getting fed up of getting
reposts of very long posts from people just adding a line or two, so
have decided just to block long posts. I think I'm getting too old for
the internet.

Not you! Never. Hell's teeth, Kay! If that's the case, not only am I older
than you

You're as old as you feel ;-)

but - well, never mind! It's not THAT big an issue, is it? Really?

No, it's not. I'm just losing my tolerance. Which is why i reckon I'm
getting too old. I should just go and hang out on my own, occasionally
emerging to mutter and wave my stick at passers-by.

--
Kay
Old 14-02-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Sacha writes
And MY stick is ebony and silver topped, so shoogle over.

But *mine* was hand carved by a friend as a gift. So nyer!! ;-)
--
Kay