Old 21-03-2003, 03:20 AM
jammer

Default Young tomato plants

Do they dislike greenhouse situations and need moving air by chance?
My 12 are about 5 inches high with lots of leaves. They have been in
the mini greenhouse with the melons, clematis, and water iris. The
tomatoes do not need water but the leaves are curling. Today was a
crappy day (cold and windy and cloudy) but i will be able to give them
fresh air every day until they get put in the ground now. Just not
nights. Oh yeah, and they are still in the plastic packs they came in,
should i transplant to bigger pots? I have over a week til i can
plant.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Trish K.

oooops, greenhouses have moving air, if you are keeping them in a
little glass box, i suppose that could work against you

Old 21-03-2003, 04:56 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 04:06:29 GMT, Trish K. wrote:

oooops, greenhouses have moving air, if you are keeping them in a
little glass box, i suppose that could work against you

well, oops, this one doesnt, nor is it a little glass box.
Nevermind

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Pam

If you are in zone 7a (from a previous post), you've got longer than a
week before you can safely put tomatoes outside. Is your greenhouse
heated? They may even be too cold in that . I can't imagine too many parts
of the country outside of the extreme southwest that can plant tomatoes
out in March..........I'm in zone 8 and we don't even consider it until
Mother's Day..........

pam - gardengal

Old 21-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:26:38 GMT, Pam wrote:

I can't imagine too many parts
of the country outside of the extreme southwest that can plant tomatoes
out in March..

and even there many of the most successful tomato gardeners wait
until April. I've managed to get plants to survive planting in Feb.
but with NO increase in production.

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:26:38 GMT, Pam wrote:

If you are in zone 7a (from a previous post), you've got longer than a
week before you can safely put tomatoes outside. Is your greenhouse
heated? They may even be too cold in that . I can't imagine too many parts
of the country outside of the extreme southwest that can plant tomatoes
out in March..........I'm in zone 8 and we don't even consider it until
Mother's Day..........

pam - gardengal

I know, i know, i have been trying to jump the gun for a month. Thanks
for putting me in my place. Yes, i have a week or more, you are
correct. This "greenhouse" is a small shelf unit with a zippered
plastic cover. Everything but the tomatoes like it. My cantalopes are
vining and my clematis is going to be all tangled if i don't do
something.

I have a week and you have til Mother's Day. Something is wrong with
that.

I took my tomato plants out and potted in individual pots. I had a
weak extra and palnted it in the flower bed just for giggles. I gave
them 2 hrs of sun, watered well, and they look fine now. I will take
them out every day (not in the greenhouse) until i can plant in the
ground. I think they really like fresh air. Live and learn i always
say!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:23:24 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

and even there many of the most successful tomato gardeners wait
until April. I've managed to get plants to survive planting in Feb.
but with NO increase in production.

That's just it. I have planted in February. You just never know about
this crazy place's weather!!!!!

zone 7a

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 22-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

If they aren't too big you can cut the bottom off of a 2 liter coke bottle
and cover them if a frost is expected. If they are too big for that, use a
bucket, or a piece of plastic held over them with a frame of something
suitable. Take the plastic off the next day again when it warms up.

Dwayne

Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Dwayne wrote:

If they aren't too big you can cut the bottom off of a 2 liter coke bottle
and cover them if a frost is expected. If they are too big for that, use a
bucket, or a piece of plastic held over them with a frame of something
suitable. Take the plastic off the next day again when it warms up.

Or use Wall-O-Water towers.
Old 22-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

jammer wrote:

Do they dislike greenhouse situations and need moving air by chance?
My 12 are about 5 inches high with lots of leaves. They have been in
the mini greenhouse with the melons, clematis, and water iris. The
tomatoes do not need water but the leaves are curling. Today was a
crappy day (cold and windy and cloudy) but i will be able to give them
fresh air every day until they get put in the ground now. Just not
nights. Oh yeah, and they are still in the plastic packs they came in,
should i transplant to bigger pots? I have over a week til i can
plant.

For now, repot them in milk cartons. Deep, up to their last set of leaves.
They'll develop a nice set of feeder roots along the stems, which by
now must look quite leggy.

Old 22-03-2003, 12:08 PM
volts500

"Pam" wrote in message
If you are in zone 7a (from a previous post), you've got longer than a
week before you can safely put tomatoes outside. Is your greenhouse
heated? They may even be too cold in that . I can't imagine too many parts
of the country outside of the extreme southwest that can plant tomatoes
out in March..........I'm in zone 8 and we don't even consider it until
Mother's Day..........

pam - gardengal

I'm in zone 9b....Central Florida. We planted 9 tomato seedlings on Feb.
24th. So far they are growing well and flowering.....2 ft. tall x 2 ft.
wide. 2 years ago I waited until just before Mothers day to set out
seedlings and the tomato plants and fruit later suffered from too much heat
exposure..........so I though I'd try to plant as early as possible this
year.

Old 22-03-2003, 04:20 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Pam writes:

of the country outside of the extreme southwest that can plant tomatoes
out in March..........I'm in zone 8 and we don't even consider it until
Mother's Day..........

pam - gardengal

I am in zone 8 in the Central Valley of California. I have planted
tomatoes as early as March 15. Sometimes the late date is
April 15. This year will probably be around April 1st. I just
check the night temps; they're in the 50s now. When they
stabilize some, then out will go the toms. The ground is
warming up nicely.
A good coverup for cold nights is an inverted 5 gallon pot.
Covers most size plants and has "air vent holes" for those
sunny mornings so the plants don't "cook"

Emilie
Norcal Central Valley
zone 8
Old 22-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Anna Merchant

That would be an interesting concept... Fresh, cooked on the vine, tomatoes
!

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?