Old 28-03-2003, 01:56 AM
mags

Default toxic soil?

hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

happy gardening,
margie
Old 28-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Warren

mags wrote:
hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

Well, let's put it this way. In most jurisdictions, you can't even build
a garage on a former landfill, let alone the dump where they took the
incinerator ash. The idea of growing food there would be insanity.

If it's as bad as you're describing, you may need to clean it up before
any kind of occupation.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 28-03-2003, 03:44 AM
DGiunti

In article ,
(mags) writes:

hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

If you like flowers, and you don't want to eat them too(!) you are in good
shape. You could have tests done to see the extent of heavy metal
contamination, but if it's been used to burn trash for years, you have a lot
more of that than the occasional battery.

Treatments are to ignore the condition and only use the area for flowers, and
interesting plants, or you could get in and do it the EPA way and dig out and
replace the contaminated soil. There are too many good produce stores around
to make this last treatment economical. But then again, you might want to be
sure that you have a good ground cover growing on the area to keep the dust out
of any wind that may blow towards the house.

I universally advise my neighbors in San Francisco to avoid eating *anything*
grown in a city backyard, because people have been painting the fences in the
yards with Lead since 1860. And then there are the improvers who dumped all
the ashes from burned Sunday papers to help improve things more.

David Giunti email:
unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk

Old 28-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

If by battery, you mean automobile battery, I would not use the area because
the soil may contain lead. If the area was used a dump, the soil may have
all kinds of toxic chemicals in it.

Have the soil tested at your local extension service. Tell them to test for
lead and other heavy metals.

om...

Old 28-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:24:44 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

Don't read so damn fast.

My apologies....

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 28-03-2003, 03:32 PM
zhanataya

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:20:12 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:24:44 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

Don't read so damn fast.

My apologies....

Sswaright
Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 PM
mmarteen

I would definitely do some research on this and not rule out vegetable
gardening. There are lots of city gardens and community gardens that face
this problem. First get the soil tested, then when you know how bad a
problem you have, you will know what kind of remediation steps you need to
take. Sometimes just raised beds with fresh soil is the answer. You can
also line the bed with various types of barriers.

For info about lead in the soil read this:
http://www.greeninstitute.org/GSP/gartips/leadsoil.html

mm

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(mags) wrote:

hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

happy gardening,
margie

It's perfectly safe, you can even eat the plastic.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

[IMG] code is On

toxic soil? mags Edible Gardening 26 09-04-2003 04:56 AM
Barton Springs toxic Gloria Donatello Texas 21 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
Article of toxic levels of arsenic and other chems... J Kolenovsky Gardening 4 27-01-2003 05:41 PM