Old 14-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Apropos

Default Bougainvillea - what fertilizer to use?

How do you fertilize bougainvillea bushes? I notice that some new plants around
my house are nice and green but they're not full and blooming like others around
here. Is it just because they're young? What is the BEST fertilzer to use for
these?

In Orlando, FL in sandy soil.

Old 14-03-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Apropos wrote:
How do you fertilize bougainvillea bushes? I notice that some new plants around
my house are nice and green but they're not full and blooming like others around
here. Is it just because they're young? What is the BEST fertilzer to use for
these?

In Orlando, FL in sandy soil.

The ones we grew when we lived in the Middle East (mostly sand) were
fertilized twice annually with 13-13-13 and hit at least three times a
year with Super Bloom, which encouraged multiple bloomings. This in an
area with about 20% humidity and about 75F average temps. Should be
somewhat similiar to Orlando IIRC. HTH

Incidentally, these "bushes" grew to about 30 feet tall, climbing the
side of a two and a half story house. Don't bank on them always being
bushes.

George

Old 15-03-2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Apropos" wrote in message
How do you fertilize bougainvillea bushes? I notice that some new plants

around
my house are nice and green but they're not full and blooming like others

around
here. Is it just because they're young? What is the BEST fertilzer to

use for
these?

In Orlando, FL in sandy soil.

They like hot positions facing the sun. Once you give them that it's just a
matter of keeping the water and food up to them. They will flower when very
young so check the position first as you may be wasting time going for heavy
growth if they are not in full hot sun. I would use a balanced fertiliser
as too much nitrogen will give masses of leaf growth (which only needs to be
pruned).

David

Old 22-04-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
gardenlen

g'day apropos,

over here in aaus' they thrive on neglect, the porer the soil and the
drier the better the blooms (yes i know they are bracts), it's that
simple if gardeners pamper them with feeding and watering all you get
is growth and green leaves. they do realy well in full on sun.

len

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len