Old 19-03-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Rat deterrent

Thornhill wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Thornhill" wrote in message
groups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Thornhill" wrote in message
legroups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Thornhill" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...

enigma wrote:

"Thornhill" wrote in
news:1142558404.296451.202530@v46g2000cwv. googlegroups.com:

Anyone have suggestions on ways to deter rats in addition
to traps and poison, such spraying the ground near my
garden with some kind of chemical or growing a certain kind
of plant. Thanks.

get a cat or terrier-type dog. clean up any trash. secure any
garbage can lids (& use only metal garbage cans). pick up &
dispose of fruit & nut drops in metal containers. make sure
you don't have a leaky hose or any standing water source. make
sure no bird seed or petfood is left outside.
and make sure any neighbors within a half-mile do the same...
lee
--

I should mention that this a community garden, located next to a
river

How close can you get to them? For $100, you can get quite a nice
pellet
rifle that's quiet, and accurate. Check your local ordinances blah
blah
blah, or just be discreet. There are also handguns that use pellets,
but
you
have to get closer unless you're very good with a handgun.

Not only would I probably receive a citation from the police, but I
don't have enough free time to sit out at the garden shooting rats. I
need something to keep the rats away without my presence being needed.

You already see the rats while you're out there, right?

The rats come out in the mornings, and I almost always garden in the
afternoons.

Well, then how do you know they're there, if you're not outside to see them?

The few times I come out in the early morning I've seen them, but more
obvious, are the bite marks they leave in vegetables.

maybe one of those motion sensing water sprinklers would be sensitive
enough to trigger from a rat sized animal? Or perhaps some type of fox
or weasel urine-type stuff? Or spray the perimeter veggies with bitter
apple?

I dunno

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)