Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default Mimosa trees in Texas

I'm building a house in the Dallas area and have a 5 foot extra long drive
way which I'm going to put
Mimosa trees 3 on each side so they can grow and touch each other over the
drive way and I'll trim them to create a tunnel effect so when I drive my
car into my garage I'll be driving through a tunnel of flowery

Mimosa trees. Sounds pretty nice. What's the downside?

Richard

Old 03-04-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

They are very invasive. They put up shoots in your yard 30 to 50 ft from
the tree. This is usually overcome by mowing regularly, but I just didnt
like them that much.

Dwayne

Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

How about some nice vase-shaped crepe myrtles? I assume that they are
perfectly hardy in Dallas, and with fewer unpleasant side effects than
mimosas. There are many varieties - you'd be looking for one of the taller
"tree-form" types, and you'd want to prune it to allow the outer
trunks/suckers to grow. They might not exactly meet overhead, but they'd
cast shade and make a nice flowering entrance to your home for several
months each summer.
Another flowering option would be kohlreutia golden raintree, although the
pods might be messy and the bloom period shorter. Still another would be
redbud. It has a graceful form - although, again, the bloom period is
relatively brief.
"Richard Miller" wrote in message
I'm building a house in the Dallas area and have a 5 foot extra long drive
way which I'm going to put
Mimosa trees 3 on each side so they can grow and touch each other over the
drive way and I'll trim them to create a tunnel effect so when I drive my
car into my garage I'll be driving through a tunnel of flowery

Mimosa trees. Sounds pretty nice. What's the downside?

Richard

[IMG] code is On

Mimosa Tree Joyce Gardening 7 11-10-2011 12:43 PM
I am guilty of mimosa killing rosymosa United Kingdom 4 05-10-2011 12:07 PM
Mimosa Tree Peter Donovan Bonsai 1 13-09-2003 08:12 AM
Mimosa The Devil's Advocate United Kingdom 4 13-04-2003 09:20 PM
mimosa Derek Turner United Kingdom 0 29-10-2002 05:35 PM