Old 21-04-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default 120 foot lawn sprinkler system

My back yard is 120 across but I don't want any more sprinklers in the
center of my yard then necessary because of my dog tripping on one of them.
Anyway I want to take sprinklers on both sides of my fence and shot them as
far into the yard as I can. Does anyone know how far I can get a sprinkler
to shoot water? I will need one (I hope) sprinkler in the center of the
yard, which will be a 360 degress sprinkler to make up for the distance that
the sprinklers on both sides will lack. Does anyone have any thought on
this?

Thanks
Richard

Old 21-04-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Richard Miller wrote:
My back yard is 120 across but I don't want any more sprinklers in the
center of my yard then necessary because of my dog tripping on one of them.
Anyway I want to take sprinklers on both sides of my fence and shot them as
far into the yard as I can. Does anyone know how far I can get a sprinkler
to shoot water? I will need one (I hope) sprinkler in the center of the
yard, which will be a 360 degress sprinkler to make up for the distance that
the sprinklers on both sides will lack. Does anyone have any thought on
this?

What kind of "sprinkler" are you using? It is possible to get impact
heads that connect to free-standing risers that connect to your garden
hose. These might be a solution to your problem.

http://www.rainbird.com/diy/products/impacts/index.htm

(I don't necessarily endorse Rainbird over other products. It was just
the first site that came up.)

You can buy these things at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Sometimes you can
get them at K Mart.
Old 21-04-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Richard Miller wrote:

My back yard is 120 across but I don't want any more sprinklers in the
center of my yard then necessary because of my dog tripping on one of them.
Anyway I want to take sprinklers on both sides of my fence and shot them as
far into the yard as I can. Does anyone know how far I can get a sprinkler
to shoot water? I will need one (I hope) sprinkler in the center of the
yard, which will be a 360 degress sprinkler to make up for the distance that
the sprinklers on both sides will lack. Does anyone have any thought on
this?

Thanks
Richard

Depending on your water pressure, impact sprinklers should do the job. I
haven't measured the ones I've used - but I'd say they shoot 30 feet
plus. So one in the center doing 360degrees is 60 feet plus the 2 in the
corners = 120 feet. There are likely 'agricultural' or 'commercial'
sprinklers that may shoot farther, plus there are some mounted on
elevated pipes that may get you another few feet. You could perhaps use
a 'pressure washer' pump to increase the water pressure(slightly!) -
though plumbing would need to be very secure at any increased pressure
of course. Have you considered 'leaky pipe'? That stuff is completely
underground and is water consrving too because there is no wind/evap loss.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 21-04-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

You can use pop-up heads and not have to worry about anyone tripping on
them.

You don't say how deep the yard is, but if the depth is consistent with
the width you probably have too much area for a one-zone system,
assuming you have normal water pressure and volume.

Your first step should be to visit some manufacturers' web sites and
read their tutorials. Find out how to measure your water pressure and
volume, measure it, then use their tutorials to design your system.

If you're not comfortable doing all the planning and design, hire an
installer. They have the specialized equipment and knowledge to make it
work, and they have a better grade of valves, heads, and controllers
than you will find at a home center.

Old 21-04-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
My back yard is 120 across but I don't want any more sprinklers in the
center of my yard then necessary because of my dog tripping on one of
them. Anyway I want to take sprinklers on both sides of my fence and shot
them as far into the yard as I can. Does anyone know how far I can get a
sprinkler to shoot water? I will need one (I hope) sprinkler in the center
of the yard, which will be a 360 degress sprinkler to make up for the
distance that the sprinklers on both sides will lack. Does anyone have any
thought on this?

You can commercial impact sprinklers, the kind they use on golf courses and
in agriculture. If you have a business, or know someone that does, you can
buy them from www.grainger.com for $17/head. I saw similar sprinklers at a
commercial landscape shop for $30/head.

They have about a 50' throw radius, you didn't say how deep the lawn is,
perhaps you can just put them on the perimeter.

Good luck
-S

Old 21-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:11:13 -0700, Richard Miller wrote:
My back yard is 120 across but I don't want any more sprinklers in the
center of my yard then necessary because of my dog tripping on one of them.
Anyway I want to take sprinklers on both sides of my fence and shot them as
far into the yard as I can. Does anyone know how far I can get a sprinkler

Starter books for you:
Reliable Rain: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561582026
Sprinklers and Watering Systems: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0696221497
All About Sprinklers and Drip Systems:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0897214137

Short answer is, yes, you can do it all with well chosen ag sprinklers
from the corners of your lot. It'll be expensive and not so pretty --
one of the main issues will be high enough water pressure -- they often need
40 psi at the nozzle, and up. There are more suitable systems for homes.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan

A sprinkler or two will give you 100% overlap which is what you want
from your systems. And they install flush with the lawn and are not a
tripping hazard.

Derryl Killan
Horticulturists
Calgary