Old 26-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Apartment Container gardening

Hello,
I am a resident of South India and I live in an apartment with two balconies, one facing the east and the other facing the west. I have quite a number of plants in my two small balconies. I use plastic containers and water daily in our humid region. I apply organic fertilizer every other week. But my plants rarely produce flowers. Some just wilt and die. Others have large leaves but no flowers. Some have smaller than normal leaves or yellow leaves. I have found that there are numerous tiny snails in the soil. Can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

YH
Old 27-04-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apartment Container gardening

Try taking the plants indoor to see if that helps, it may be the
environment rain water ?

Find the plants you have and find their individual care needs. It might
help to group them to similar care. Each plant has different care
needs. Some need to be watered weekly while others need less. Some
plants need drainage and too much water will make fungus grow and
attract parasites.

Go to http://plantcare.com/ and find your plants.
There are great tips at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

Old 03-05-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

Hi,

Sounds like you are overwatering most of your plants. Like the
previous responder said different types of plants require different
watering schedules. Also, different types of pots tend to dry out
quicker or slower. Plastic pots tend to hold moisture in longer and
your watering every day is causing an overly wet root environment.
This would be fine if you were growing something like taro or papyrus.
Also different plants require different fertilizer.

One of the common mistakes of beginning gardeners is killing the
plants with too much love by overwatering and over fertilizing and by
lumping all the plants together in regards to care.

Layne

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:44:06 +0000, yellowhat
wrote:

Hello,
I am a resident of South India and I live in an apartment with two
balconies, one facing the east and the other facing the west. I have
quite a number of plants in my two small balconies. I use plastic
containers and water daily in our humid region. I apply organic
fertilizer every other week. But my plants rarely produce flowers. Some
just wilt and die. Others have large leaves but no flowers. Some have
smaller than normal leaves or yellow leaves. I have found that there
are numerous tiny snails in the soil. Can anyone please tell me what i
am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

YH

[IMG] code is On

Apartment and Bonsai Mike Bonsai 2 28-04-2005 12:29 AM
Composting at an Apartment ohberg Texas 9 07-10-2003 02:28 AM
Squirrels on apartment balcony Christiane Gardening 5 19-06-2003 01:44 AM
Apartment Gardening Jimmy Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Apartment Gardening Dora Smith Texas 0 15-02-2003 08:07 PM