Old 25-05-2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mac3

Default Bird Poop on my driveway - I'm going to cry

I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets loaded on
a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or is at a
fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

Old 25-05-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

"Mac3" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets loaded
on a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or is
at a fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

Just be glad that cows don't fly..........

Old 25-05-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Mac3" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets loaded
on a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or is
at a fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

Time to buy yourself a new high-tech gadget: A hose.

Old 25-05-2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

"Mac3" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets loaded

on
a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or is at

fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

First - Are they sitting on a perch above, or just dive bombing the
drive-way?

Old 26-05-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mac3

No overhangs for birds to sit on. Just two tall house and a couple of trees
to fly back and forth. Is it because birds are eating alot for feeding
their young right now?(Northern Ohio). I just don't remember it ever being
this bad.

"hob" wrote in message
. ..

Old 26-05-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Mac3" wrote in message
No overhangs for birds to sit on. Just two tall house and a couple of
trees to fly back and forth. Is it because birds are eating alot for
feeding their young right now?(Northern Ohio). I just don't remember it
ever being this bad.

I think you should ask other people about something they can't see (i.e.:
your property, your birds), rather than put your fat, lazy dumb ass in a
chair and OBSERVE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, you ignorant twit.

Old 26-05-2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Mac-
I don't know what kind of birds you have, but I might have a
suggestion. At Home Depot or other garden centers, you will often find
fake owls available for sale. They are provided to help run off most
birds.

My daughter had trouble with birds attacking her apricot tree just
before harvest. And, she was losing an awful lot of fruit to them.
She put out one of those owls, and voila' many of the birds went
elsewhere.

I've seen little sidewalk cafes that have these same owls in the
overhangs and on roofs, and it keeps their diners from being bombed.

There are also little devices you can purchase that make the sounds of
preditary birds, and runs off most other birds. But, they can be
pricey, and the sound can be annoying.

Hope this helps!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 26-05-2006, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Mac3 said:

I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets loaded
on a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or is at a
fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

Let me guess:
It is an asphalt driveway, and the birds are dropping fecal sacks produced
by nestlings.

This used to happen a lot to my driveway before it was repaved to concrete.
I theorized that the birds mistook the large, dark expanse for a body of
water that they could hide the evidence of their nestlings in. At that time
our road was unpaved. The nearest actual body of water is a few blocks
away.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-05-2006, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

"Mac3" wrote in message
I don't know if anyone can help out here. I've looked through google

and
have seen suggestions from hanging cd's to bb guns, etc. But my

driveway
has some many bird droppings on it, I just can't compete. It gets

loaded
on a daily basis. It's almost as if my driveway is attracting birds or

is
at a fly by intersection for birds. I don't get it.

Time to buy yourself a new high-tech gadget: A hose.

Don't listen to Doug the water -squanderer. Use an old toothbrush, and
some water in a tin can.

hoses are also very good for washing away dog poop in gardens.

rob

Old 26-05-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

sounds logical. Ingrid

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
Let me guess:
It is an asphalt driveway, and the birds are dropping fecal sacks produced
by nestlings.

This used to happen a lot to my driveway before it was repaved to concrete.
I theorized that the birds mistook the large, dark expanse for a body of
water that they could hide the evidence of their nestlings in. At that time
our road was unpaved. The nearest actual body of water is a few blocks
away.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 26-05-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
hob

Since there is no perch, it is likely that the birds are "playing" - they
have learned to "bomb" your driveway just for the fun of it.
Or it may be that there is a thermal there (e.g., black driveway next to
green grass - heat rises off the driveway in a column of rapidly rising
air), and they get an "elevator ride" as they fly into the thermal - lifting
them up without work, or if it is strong enough, giving them lift that gives
them a "jump" like a roller coaster ride when they fly into it - or maybe
they are just doing what they saw some bird do. Do. Birdy see, birdy do-do.
(sorry, had to :-) )

(Kind of like squirrels that sit by the road and sit there and wait for the
car to get close before they run across the street, or like birds that swoop
at your moving car so they can get a jump when they hit the air coming over
the car. Game playing.)

Not likely they are hunting food or just using a thermal, because they leave
droppings at the base of the dive. More likely they are in it for the rush.

It will be hard to break them of the "game" - you're going to need to break
the thermal if there is one, or get in their flight path.

With that as background, is there any obvious way to break up their game?
( I know ways to do it, but if I have guessed right, this is a site-specific
problem.)

fwiw

"Mac3" wrote in message
No overhangs for birds to sit on. Just two tall house and a couple of

trees
to fly back and forth. Is it because birds are eating alot for feeding
their young right now?(Northern Ohio). I just don't remember it ever

being
this bad.

"hob" wrote in message
. ..

Old 26-05-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-Lo

Ah you poor ****tards....bird shit on a ****ing driveay, get a god dam
life jerks.........ya all probably go postal when a dog shits on the
lawn or ****es on yur shrubs....

This post brought to courtesy of Carol Gulley aka Koi Lo the USENET
Ho'
Old 26-05-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-Lo

Me thinks those birds needs to drop a few slimey hot turds on your
poor freaking head............****ing and moanng because birds shit on
yur driveway.....get a ****ing life!

"Mac3" wrote in message
news:sZOdnU69BaeapOvZnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@adelphia .com...
No overhangs for birds to sit on. Just two tall house and a couple of
trees
to fly back and forth. Is it because birds are eating alot for feeding
their young right now?(Northern Ohio). I just don't remember it ever
being
this bad.

"hob" wrote in message
. ..

Old 26-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered User

Smile

sounds logical. Ingrid

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
Let me guess:
It is an asphalt driveway, and the birds are dropping fecal sacks produced
by nestlings.

This used to happen a lot to my driveway before it was repaved to concrete.
I theorized that the birds mistook the large, dark expanse for a body of
water that they could hide the evidence of their nestlings in. At that time
our road was unpaved. The nearest actual body of water is a few blocks
away.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed with this comment

I think you should ask other people about something they can't see (i.e.:
your property, your birds), rather than put your fat, lazy dumb ass in a
chair and OBSERVE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, you ignorant twit.

if the birds have young ones u will end up getting a lot more droppings because of the little ones still being in the nests.
hopefully it will let up once the young are gone. if not i would go with getting one of those fake owls (as was suggested) they have worked great for a couple of my friends. good luck. cyaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 26-05-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

I'll bet you $2.87 that this thread will continue until at least next
Tuesday, with maybe 50 more messages. :-)

"Mac3" wrote in message
news:sZOdnU69BaeapOvZnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@adelphi a.com...
No overhangs for birds to sit on. Just two tall house and a couple
of
trees
to fly back and forth. Is it because birds are eating alot for
feeding
their young right now?(Northern Ohio). I just don't remember it ever
being
this bad.

"hob" wrote in message
. ..