Old 28-05-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
John

Default Daffodils From Seed?

Yesterday I collected quite a lot of daffodil seeds. As I have always
understood that daffodils are propagated from bulbs, are the seeds
sterile? If not, when should I plant them (now, or next Spring)?

The bulbs that I planted several years ago all came from the Home Depot
(the white and yellow varieties). They've been flowering and multiplying
quite well ever since. This is the first time I've noticed the seeds,
however, because I've been giving thought to digging up the bulbs after
the stalks turn yellow to redistribute the bulbs throughout the garden.

Thanks,

J.
Old 28-05-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

John wrote:

Yesterday I collected quite a lot of daffodil seeds. As I have always
understood that daffodils are propagated from bulbs, are the seeds
sterile? If not, when should I plant them (now, or next Spring)?

The bulbs that I planted several years ago all came from the Home Depot
(the white and yellow varieties). They've been flowering and multiplying
quite well ever since. This is the first time I've noticed the seeds,
however, because I've been giving thought to digging up the bulbs after
the stalks turn yellow to redistribute the bulbs throughout the garden.

Thanks,

J.

John,

It is much better to remove the daffodil flowers after they bloom. That
way the seed pods will not develop and the foliage will help the bulb
develop (and multiply). Letting seed pods develop takes a lot of
strength away from the bulb and you will likely have far less flowers
the next season.

And to answer your question about the seeds: If the flower was
pollinated the seeds will be fertile BUT each seed can produce a
different plant (bloom) from what you saw this year. It takes about 5
years for the seeds to produce a blooming plant. This FAQ has some good
information about daffodils: http://www.daffodilusa.com/daffodils/faq.html
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 29-05-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

The real issue here is whether propagating your daffodils from seed will
result in the same plants you already have. I'm not 100% certain, but I
think that daffs can be cross pollinated, which means that you're likely to
get an entirely different daff. If that is the case, there's no point in
letting the flowers go to seed, as it just takes some of the plant's energy
that would be better used to send back to the bulb for next year's
flowering. If daffs do indeed cross pollinate, propagation from the "baby"
bulbs will result in the same plants as the adult, tho it may take a few
years for the plants to mature and flower.

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 29-05-2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
John

My goodness, I had no idea that daffodils had such an ardent following.

I think I'll plant a patch with the seeds that I collected anyway, just
to see what happens. The daffodils have been successful in my yard
without any input from me (beyond their original planting), so what the
heck. Unless the results are butt ugly, I'll keep them and call it
"variety." I'll report back in 5 or 6 years.

Thanks!

J.

Old 30-05-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Bill R wrote:
John wrote:

Yesterday I collected quite a lot of daffodil seeds. As I have always
understood that daffodils are propagated from bulbs, are the seeds
sterile? If not, when should I plant them (now, or next Spring)?

The bulbs that I planted several years ago all came from the Home Depot
(the white and yellow varieties). They've been flowering and multiplying
quite well ever since. This is the first time I've noticed the seeds,
however, because I've been giving thought to digging up the bulbs after
the stalks turn yellow to redistribute the bulbs throughout the garden.

I dug up some daffodil bulbs, in that we are having some shrubs removed
and wanted to save the bulbs and replant them in the back yard.
Perhaps this is a silly question ~ but will I find seeds within the
bulb?

Truly, I did not know one could plant daffodils from seeds.
Also when I do replant them, should it be in the fall? I have my bulbs
in a paper bag where it is dark. They are cut close allowing the root
to be inserted in the ground.
Thanks.
Bette

Old 30-05-2006, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
John

At last, a question that a novice gardener like me can answer!

The seeds are not in the bulbs, they're what's left of the flowers a few
weeks after the petals drop off. There should be a nut-sized husk at the
end of the stem where the flower once was. When it dries of its own
accord it will open and there will be a bunch of shiny black seeds
inside. The web sites I've seen all concur that it takes 5-6 years for
the seeded plants to flower, and that the resulting plants will not
always be identical to the original parent plant. So you're in for a
surprise.

J.

Old 30-05-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

John wrote:
At last, a question that a novice gardener like me can answer!

The seeds are not in the bulbs, they're what's left of the flowers a few
weeks after the petals drop off. There should be a nut-sized husk at the
end of the stem where the flower once was. When it dries of its own
accord it will open and there will be a bunch of shiny black seeds
inside. The web sites I've seen all concur that it takes 5-6 years for
the seeded plants to flower, and that the resulting plants will not
always be identical to the original parent plant. So you're in for a
surprise.

J.

*smiling* Well I'm glad you're so pleased. Thanks for the info.
Bette

Old 30-05-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Bill R wrote:
Your best bet is to plant the bulbs now where you want them to bloom
next spring. Storing bulbs is not a good idea unless you have perfect
conditions to store them in (and most people don't).
--
Bill R.

My husband was right. He recalls his older sister digging up the
bulbs and planting them in another spot soon after. Thanks Bill, you
truly are a walking encyclopedia.
Bette

Old 30-05-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
nblomgren

On Mon, 29 May 2006 07:10:20 -0400, John wrote:

My goodness, I had no idea that daffodils had such an ardent following.

I think I'll plant a patch with the seeds that I collected anyway, just
to see what happens. The daffodils have been successful in my yard
without any input from me (beyond their original planting), so what the
heck. Unless the results are butt ugly, I'll keep them and call it
"variety." I'll report back in 5 or 6 years.

Thanks!

J.

Be careful where you plant them. They're almost impossible to get rid
of. We have a patch next to the sidewalk, and they create a mess every
spring when they're done blooming. I dug out five pounds of bulbs,
gave them away, and the next spring
THEY WERE BACK!

So I then excavated everything -- bulbs and dirt.

They came back again!

I've been told that the new bulbs that are generated are the size of a
grain of sand, and because of that escape almost all efforts to
physically remove them.

I love daffodils. But I'd prefer they were somewhere else.

--nb

[IMG] code is On

Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Daffodils drooping Mceezee Gardening 2 02-04-2003 01:32 AM
Daffodils Mceezee Gardening 4 19-03-2003 09:08 AM
Wimpy Daffodils :-( Bippy North Carolina 0 15-03-2003 08:44 PM
Daffodils Beachcomber United Kingdom 8 01-01-2003 04:30 AM