Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ideas to support gladiolus

Looking for ideas on how to support glads.
I've thought of suspending some concrete reinforcing wire above the bed
but I'm afraid the rusty wires might saw thru the flower stems.
Maybe not.
If you've had success with this method or have other successes please
share them. The glads will soon be blooming in Kentucky!

Thanks!
Dan D.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Green bamboo stakes is what I use also. . .I've never found them at
that great price you have though. Guess I need to check out Big Lots.

Thanks!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Guess I need to check out Big Lots.

Me too!!! thanks Bill and Myrl.
I hate to stake them but if I must, I will.
They are too pretty to let them sprawl.

Peace! Dan D.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for ideas on how to support glads.
I've thought of suspending some concrete reinforcing wire above the bed
but I'm afraid the rusty wires might saw thru the flower stems.
Maybe not.
If you've had success with this method or have other successes please
share them. The glads will soon be blooming in Kentucky!

Thanks!
Dan D.

Take a look at the material I used to make these tomato cages:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...atoCage_04.jpg
A roll of that fence wire is $50.00 at Home Depot. I use the 5' high size,
but there's a 4' size that a bit cheaper. It lasts for many years, and is
easy to bend into a myriad of shapes for the garden. At the end of the
season, you can flatten the structures you build and hang them from a hook
in the garage.

Now, imagine a piece of that material held horizontally, with your glads
growing up through the holes. This concept is similar to various plant
support accessories you can buy. Look at this first link:
http://www.gardeners.com/Deluxe-Grow...ts.136 94.cpd

and another:
http://www.gardeners.com/Flower-Supp...rts.35-100.cpd

However you design them, you can use cheap 1x1 inch sticks to support them.
Use garden twine or plastic wire wraps to fasten the wire to the posts. The
sticks will gradually weather to a gray color that's not obvious among the
plants. I get 3-4 seasons out of these sticks before they begin to rot. (In
my photo, the tomato cages use metal stakes because tomatoes require much
stronger support).

Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for ideas on how to support glads.
I've thought of suspending some concrete reinforcing wire above the bed
but I'm afraid the rusty wires might saw thru the flower stems.
Maybe not.
If you've had success with this method or have other successes please
share them. The glads will soon be blooming in Kentucky!

Thanks!
Dan D.

PS: In the first picture in my other message, notice that there is a beer on
the ground. Although the manufacturer of the fence material doesn't mention
this, the fence wire will not work correctly unless there is a beer nearby
during the design phase of your support project. Beware.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

For most plants that need support, I have a method of staking that is
inexpensive and usually works. Push bamboo stakes in the ground around the
plant (or group of plants) about 8-10 inches apart. Then use the twist tie
that comes on a roll or thick twine and loop it around each stake,
connecting them to each other.

Suzy O, Wisconsin, zone 5

oups.com...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hey Joe, thanks for the warning about the beer. I can see how it might
make the project move along better!

I thought about galvanized fence wire or vinyl coated fence wire. They
are
smoother and wouldn't be as likely to cause stem damage.
I already have some concrete wire but as I mentioned it's rusty and I'm
not
going to use it for my glads.

I did go by my local Big Lots and was surprised to actually find some
of these
3 ft long bamboo sticks!! 25 sticks in a pack for a buck!
I'm arguing with my wife to grow some bamboo.
I know it's invasive but we have a large back yard and could easily mow
around
it to keep it in check-- I think.
I actually had one nursery man to recommend digging a moat and filling
it with concrete to contain bamboo!!! Yikes!

Maybe I'll just buy mine at the store......
Maybe I should go back to Big Lots and snag all the bamboo they have in
stock!

Thanks everyone!
Dan D.