Old 18-06-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default weed and feed treated grass as a mulch?

A month ago my front lawn was treated with weed and feed (not that it did
any good, the weeds seemed to like it lol). Anyhow, one month, a bit of
rain, and 2 cuttings later, I would like to use the grass clippings as a
mulch in the garden.

Is it ok to use fresh cut grass as a mulch in a garden? And is there likely
to be any significant amounts of the herbicide from the weed and feed in the
grass?

Old 18-06-2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
A month ago my front lawn was treated with weed and feed (not that it did
any good, the weeds seemed to like it lol). Anyhow, one month, a bit of
rain, and 2 cuttings later, I would like to use the grass clippings as a
mulch in the garden.

Is it ok to use fresh cut grass as a mulch in a garden? And is there

likely
to be any significant amounts of the herbicide from the weed and feed in

the
grass?

Read the packet instructions. Most say not to use in garden for at least 6
months. If you want to use it hot compost it for 6 months or set it aside
somewhere in the garden and let it weather by itself. You may get away with
it doing no damage to your plants but that is a risk, especially if you
throw it on vege gardens.

rob

Old 18-06-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

I lost the packaging, it was a small container I used onetime on the front
lawn. Ouch. I wasn't sure if the herbicide would actually go into the grass
itself. I already put it on a small patch of corn - now we shall see

Old 19-06-2006, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Alan

Matthew Reed wrote:
A month ago my front lawn was treated with weed and feed (not that it did
any good, the weeds seemed to like it lol). Anyhow, one month, a bit of
rain, and 2 cuttings later, I would like to use the grass clippings as a
mulch in the garden.

Is it ok to use fresh cut grass as a mulch in a garden? And is there likely
to be any significant amounts of the herbicide from the weed and feed in the
grass?

If you have the time it is probably best to spread the cuttings thinly
on a compost heap and then use the rotted compost as a mulch.

Alan

Old 19-06-2006, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in message
I lost the packaging, it was a small container I used onetime on the front
lawn. Ouch. I wasn't sure if the herbicide would actually go into the

grass
itself. I already put it on a small patch of corn - now we shall see

the filth I used to pur on my lawn is a general purpose lawn weed killer
which gets rid of clover, dock, thistles, dandelion, chickweed etc. It
contains the general run of the mill turf clean chemicals - mecoprop,
dicambra and MCPA. The instructions say do not use treated grass as a mulch.
You can get stronger stuff still that kills hydrocotyle, oxalis and the
like. I can't remember what was in that and don't care to either. If your
weed n feed contained any of the chemicals listed above at least 6 months
compost is strongly recommended.

rob

Old 19-06-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

It should be made clear to the OP that if the chemicals dissipate during
composting, it's time and perhaps rain that are causing it, not the
bacterial action of the composting. If he uses a covered compost bin, which
would prevent rain from washing through the material, he may, in fact end up
with no reduction of chemicals at all. Without actually having the compost
tested, all he has to go on is how he and others here interpret what it says
on the chemical's label.

Old 19-06-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

It should be made clear to the OP that if the chemicals dissipate during
composting, it's time and perhaps rain that are causing it, not the
bacterial action of the composting. If he uses a covered compost bin,
which would prevent rain from washing through the material, he may, in
fact end up with no reduction of chemicals at all. Without actually having
the compost tested, all he has to go on is how he and others here
interpret what it says on the chemical's label.

This I understand IE that the chemicals may not break down but have to leach
out in time. What is unclear is how fast the chemicals break down, if they
break down, how fast they leach out, and how dangerous they really are, and
what happens if they are present in the crops at a level too low to kill the
crops, but high enough to hurt us if we eat them? Too many unknowns here. I
went to Scott's website, where they have a link to a lively forum,
gardenadvice.com, and I asked there. Haven't received an answer yet. I think
I'll play it safe and just spread the stuff over a compost pile slated to be
used next year. We get a lot of rain here, and I suspect they chemicals will
leach out in time.

Hmm...the ground water level here is about 9 feet deep (I have a 17 foot
well, standing water level is at 9 feet. My basement floods if we get a lot
of rain), what are the dangers of this stuff leaching into the ground water?

Old 19-06-2006, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

[...]

1) If you had money to burn on professional laboratory testing, and endless
curiosity, you could find out how fast they break down and how fast they
leach out. However, the only way to know if any ingested chemical is safe is
to test it on humans. This is why nobody can tell you if they're safe. It's
up to you to guess, just like the companies which sell them. I appreciate
humor, so if you get a response from Scott's, I'd love to see it posted
here.

2) About your basement: The chances of the chemicals entering with the flood
water are exactly the same as for ANY substance contained in the water.