Old 20-08-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tetanus Shots - Important !

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these
words:

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains
these words:

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back).
He did not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about
feeling uneasy and tense. Is it possible that he may be
infected with tetanus and is there anything he can do now about
it.

Uneasy and tense, is he? Sounds like he's spending too much time
worrying about a little bee sting that happened two months ago.
Tell him to chill.

Although it won't be related to a bee sting two months ago,
there
are medical conditions which can present as feeling uneasy and
tense (and should not be ignored). So he should consult his
doctor, if only to rule out other problems.

Janet.

According to my research almost every adult in the entire world
reports feeling "uneasy and tense" at some time.

Of course; but not usually constantly over months. We don't know
if
he's speaking of emotional feelings or physical sensations. There are
biochemical and hormonal imbalances which may produce those physical
sensations. Someone who has constant psychological tension and
feelings of unease,r (has maybe spent a couple of months in a state
of
irrational anxiety which is completely unlike their usual self, with
no
obvious life stress to account for it it) may also, still be in need
of medical consultation.

Janet.

Or he may be a big ol' troll.
Old 21-08-2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

wrote:

Vivek.M wrote:

Greetings fellow URGLERs and RGers,
Have you been vaccinated against
Tetanus? I know, I know: You were - as babies and kids, but have you
been vaccinated recently? As in, the last ten years?

I cut my foot yesterday and having forgotten about it, scooted out
into the garden for some digging and mucking; It started to rain and i
continued till i noticed that my foot felt a wee bit sore - Alas! I
wear broken down shoes which leak water and mud. Well, when i examined
it, i found the cut and treated it with anti-septic. I also checked up
on when i had last taken my Tetanus shots. Alack! my license had
un-fortunately expired!

Today morning i woke up with a mildly sore neck from over-sleeping
and sore muscles ( probably from the sudden shock of actually working
*grin* ), however i decided to do the cautious thing and update my
tetanus vaccine. I also googled up on tetanus and though i'd share my
findings:

1. 5 Shots: 3 (as a wee lad)) + 1 + 1 (by 6 yrs)
2.A booster shot every 10 years.

I would also suggest wearing watertight and mud proof shoes, not that
you can't contract tetanus via a nick on your hand..

There is no need to err..panic..if you do expose yourself.. since the
tetanus bacteria has a incubation period of 3 days to 15 weeks (long
after the wound or pain from the wound has passed!), however you must
get the following done:

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and is
there anything he can do now about it.

1. Wash wound in antiseptic.
2. Go to a doc and get a tetanus shot.
3. Get a tetanus immunoglobin injection (which is a anti-dote for the
tetanus toxin. It does not provide immunity in itself). Some ppl may
be allergic to this, so remind the doc about allergic reactions.
4. Wait patiently for a month and see if you survive *grin*.
You can garden in this period, but don't expose your wound to more
bacteria.

Here's a link to motivate lazy bum's:
http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes...es/s597774.htm
http://www.tetanus.org/

Info links:
http://www.acep.org/webportal/Patien...etanusShot.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tetanus.html
http://www.vaccinehaffkine.com/faqinfo7.htm
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ectionId=12476

Not likeyy a bee is gonna transmit tetanus. Even if he had dirt on his
hands and somehow got tetanus in the bee sting wound, extreme muscle
crampimg/stiffness is the classic symptom of tetanus. Try reading about
both tetanus and bee stings at www.webmd.com

Thanks. I'll tell him.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old 21-08-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these words:

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and is
there anything he can do now about it.

Uneasy and tense, is he? Sounds like he's spending too much time worrying
about a little bee sting that happened two months ago. Tell him to chill.

Although it won't be related to a bee sting two months ago, there
are medical conditions which can present as feeling uneasy and tense
(and should not be ignored). So he should consult his doctor, if only
to rule out other problems.

I told him to consult his doctor. His doctor tells him that its too
late now to take a tetanus shot and not to worry. This person does
suffer from mild hyperthyroidism. So he does get tense in any event.
Its just that he feels that after this bee sting episode his overall
tenseness in his body has gone up much more. Is there any way to rule
out any problem by a blood test. BTW this episode is in India and
therefore, not all doctors here have an idea of the latest tests that
could be carried out. Therefore, is there a way to put his mind at rest
by taking a complete blood test or would it just be a waste of time and
money. (Insurance over here will not cover his test).

Janet.

Old 21-08-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

wrote in message

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and

is
there anything he can do now about it.

The old name for tetanus was "Lockjaw" and it results in extreme
muscle stiffness (hence the locked jaw), muscle spasms and an extreme
sensitivty to any noise. It affects the central nervous system and
he'd probably have far more severe symptoms if he had it. He should
see a doctor if he hasn't had his shots.

Yes, I have told him to consult his doctor. BTW this episode is in
India. Over here we don't have the tetanus booster shots every 5 or 10
years. They have something which only gives protection upto 6 months.
Is there any blood test or any other way he could be tested to see if
has the tetanus germs in his body.

[IMG] code is On

OT Tetanus jabs Sacha United Kingdom 122 12-02-2007 04:09 PM
Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important! Vivek.M United Kingdom 82 10-08-2006 08:00 AM
[IBC] You should see the Taikanten 2003 shots at the IBC gallery Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 16-12-2003 03:12 PM
brown shiny shots and rotting seedling leaf? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 6 02-06-2003 12:32 AM
Keeping a Messy Garden - new shots dave weil Roses 3 27-04-2003 08:44 PM