Old 28-07-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

Default Tetanus Shots - Important !

Greetings fellow URGLERs and RGers,
Have you been vaccinated against
Tetanus? I know, I know: You were - as babies and kids, but have you
been vaccinated recently? As in, the last ten years?

I cut my foot yesterday and having forgotten about it, scooted out
into the garden for some digging and mucking; It started to rain and i
continued till i noticed that my foot felt a wee bit sore - Alas! I
wear broken down shoes which leak water and mud. Well, when i examined
it, i found the cut and treated it with anti-septic. I also checked up
on when i had last taken my Tetanus shots. Alack! my license had
un-fortunately expired!

Today morning i woke up with a mildly sore neck from over-sleeping
and sore muscles ( probably from the sudden shock of actually working
*grin* ), however i decided to do the cautious thing and update my
tetanus vaccine. I also googled up on tetanus and though i'd share my
findings:

1. 5 Shots: 3 (as a wee lad)) + 1 + 1 (by 6 yrs)
2.A booster shot every 10 years.

I would also suggest wearing watertight and mud proof shoes, not that
you can't contract tetanus via a nick on your hand..

There is no need to err..panic..if you do expose yourself.. since the
tetanus bacteria has a incubation period of 3 days to 15 weeks (long
after the wound or pain from the wound has passed!), however you must
get the following done:
1. Wash wound in antiseptic.
2. Go to a doc and get a tetanus shot.
3. Get a tetanus immunoglobin injection (which is a anti-dote for the
tetanus toxin. It does not provide immunity in itself). Some ppl may
be allergic to this, so remind the doc about allergic reactions.
4. Wait patiently for a month and see if you survive *grin*.
You can garden in this period, but don't expose your wound to more
bacteria.

Here's a link to motivate lazy bum's:
http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes...es/s597774.htm
http://www.tetanus.org/

Info links:
http://www.acep.org/webportal/Patien...etanusShot.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tetanus.html
http://www.vaccinehaffkine.com/faqinfo7.htm
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ectionId=12476

Old 30-07-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

in the US there is a shortage of tetanus shots and only those with puncture wounds
are likely to be able to get one. need to get the tetanus within 72 hours of the
injury. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 30-07-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

2 years ago - broken shoulder, tetanus shot. 12 years ago broken collarbone,
tetanus shot. 8 years from now - who knows? Probably break an arm or leg
this time, and get another tetanus shot

Vivek.M wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 31-07-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

2 years ago - broken shoulder, tetanus shot. 12 years ago broken
collarbone, tetanus shot. 8 years from now - who knows? Probably break
an arm or leg this time, and get another tetanus shot

Just out of curiousity, why would a broken bone require a tet shot? Were
they compound fractures? Tet shots aren't routinely given for things that
do not break the skin, AFAIK.
Old 31-07-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Possibly because of microscopic cuts. People have died because of a
thorn pricking their skin - That's fairly invisible to the naked eye. I
guess it largely depends on the nature of the injury. Better safe than
sorry though..

Old 31-07-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

2 years ago - broken shoulder, tetanus shot. 12 years ago broken
collarbone, tetanus shot. 8 years from now - who knows? Probably break
an arm or leg this time, and get another tetanus shot

Just out of curiousity, why would a broken bone require a tet shot? Were
they compound fractures? Tet shots aren't routinely given for things that
do not break the skin, AFAIK.

Road rash. In both cases there was a bit of missing skin. I fell off my
bicycle (both times in my own parking lot, go figure) while moving slowly,
but hit hard enough to break the bone and take off a small patch of skin.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...s/DSCF1060.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...s/DSCF1078.jpg.

Old 31-07-2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

2 years ago - broken shoulder, tetanus shot. 12 years ago broken
collarbone, tetanus shot. 8 years from now - who knows? Probably
break an arm or leg this time, and get another tetanus shot

Just out of curiousity, why would a broken bone require a tet shot?
Were they compound fractures? Tet shots aren't routinely given for
things that do not break the skin, AFAIK.

Road rash. In both cases there was a bit of missing skin. I fell off
my bicycle (both times in my own parking lot, go figure) while moving
slowly, but hit hard enough to break the bone and take off a small
patch of skin.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...ulder/images/D
SCF1060.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2005%...ulder/images/D
SCF1078.jpg.

So the tet shot was for the skin injury, not the break. We don't want
anyone going around thinking they got inadequate care because they didn't
get a tet shot for a broken bone, right?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
[...]

You had me worried there -- when I broke both arms in a cycling
accident, I didn't get a tet shot, just the usual casts on both arms.
But no road rash in that accident, my gloves protected my hands and the
pavement wasn't bad enough to rip through my jersey as I rolled.

But I did get a tet update after finding an old garbage pit on my
property while planting the garden. Mixed broken glass, shards of
pottery, and old rusty cans.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Old 01-08-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardens

This has been interesting. Because the date of my last tetanus shot was
longer than 10 years ago, I got one yesterday at my physical. My MD
mentioned that there have been local cases in the past year and that the
word has gone out quietly to make sure everyone stays current.

Cheryl

Old 18-08-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Vivek.M wrote:

[...]

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and is
there anything he can do now about it.

Old 19-08-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Vivek.M wrote:

[...]

Not likeyy a bee is gonna transmit tetanus. Even if he had dirt on his
hands and somehow got tetanus in the bee sting wound, extreme muscle
crampimg/stiffness is the classic symptom of tetanus. Try reading about
both tetanus and bee stings at www.webmd.com

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 20-08-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and is
there anything he can do now about it.

Uneasy and tense, is he? Sounds like he's spending too much time worrying
about a little bee sting that happened two months ago. Tell him to chill.
Old 20-08-2006, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He did
not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling uneasy
and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with tetanus and

is
there anything he can do now about it.

The old name for tetanus was "Lockjaw" and it results in extreme
muscle stiffness (hence the locked jaw), muscle spasms and an extreme
sensitivty to any noise. It affects the central nervous system and
he'd probably have far more severe symptoms if he had it. He should
see a doctor if he hasn't had his shots.

Old 20-08-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these
words:

Someone I know got stung by a bee ( about 6 to 8 weeks back). He
did not get a tetanus shot. He constantly complains about feeling
uneasy and tense. Is it possible that he may be infected with
tetanus and is there anything he can do now about it.

Uneasy and tense, is he? Sounds like he's spending too much time
worrying about a little bee sting that happened two months ago. Tell
him to chill.

Although it won't be related to a bee sting two months ago, there
are medical conditions which can present as feeling uneasy and tense
(and should not be ignored). So he should consult his doctor, if only
to rule out other problems.

Janet.

According to my research almost every adult in the entire world reports
feeling "uneasy and tense" at some time. Those who constantly worry
about small events that are easily remedied without asking strangers on
Usenet have a higher incidence of these feelings.

Really. I have the documentation right here.

[IMG] code is On

OT Tetanus jabs Sacha United Kingdom 122 12-02-2007 04:09 PM
Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important! Vivek.M United Kingdom 82 10-08-2006 08:00 AM
[IBC] You should see the Taikanten 2003 shots at the IBC gallery Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 16-12-2003 03:12 PM
brown shiny shots and rotting seedling leaf? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 6 02-06-2003 12:32 AM
Keeping a Messy Garden - new shots dave weil Roses 3 27-04-2003 08:44 PM