Old 16-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Smile

Elaine Humm, seems to me that sumac would be sumac whether bought mail order or dug
up
as long as it had enough of a root system to it to get established.

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Elaine wrote:

Hey that's the best kind...FREE! Go dig some up.
In the spring I always carry a shovel with me. If is it not protected and
is
a native plant to your area that is. Also doesn't have a no-trespassing
sign
around or happens to be a wildflower project!

I bet you can't transplant sumac easily, as it spreads mostly by spreading
runners, so is living off some other nearby plant system rather than by
its own roots.

Smooth Sumac is what I planted right next to the south wall of the house,
for shade in the summer and a pleasant shadow pattern. Being a
lightweight
tree, it doesn't hurt the house.

On the other hand, it tends to break or have leaf die-offs rather easily,
leaving you with a sunny patch in your shade pattern for a year or so.

I planted bare-root sumaclettes from a mail order nursery. I don't know
where they get them.

Little offshoots are constantly trying to come up in the lawn, by the
dozens.
They get scythed down regularly but remain undiscouraged. (I scythe the
lawn
rather than mowing, just as a hobby. Mowing would work too.)

--
Ron Hardin

if u want something that grows really quickly and still looks nice then a silverlace vine would be the way to go they look pretty and yet grow very quickly.
i have both the clematis and silverlace and love them both . good luck, sockiescat.

[IMG] code is On

Killing Sumac tree roots - Help Rick United Kingdom 13 19-09-2004 09:15 PM
Mulch/Posion Sumac?? Shellie Cahill Gardening 2 09-06-2004 10:55 AM
[IBC] African Sumac Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 0 04-01-2004 07:34 PM
[IBC] African Sumac Iris Cohen Bonsai 2 04-01-2004 06:21 PM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM