Old 13-08-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default sumac

we have a large wooden fence covering up a neighbors house, and i wish to
use plantings to cover the fence.
how does using sumac sound? is it incompatible with other plantings?

Old 13-08-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Do you hate your neighbors that much??LOL

Elaine in Ga (Trying to get boston ivy to grow up mine)

Old 13-08-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
we have a large wooden fence covering up a neighbors house, and i wish to
use plantings to cover the fence.
how does using sumac sound? is it incompatible with other plantings?

Sumac's a very cool plant, from a distance, especially if you have 17 acres
and it's at the edge where you don't care that it takes over an acre of its
own. Have you noticed that along highways, it becomes a sumac forest? :-)
I'd avoid it.

How about clematis? There are so many varieties, and it's easy to grow,
***IF*** you do a nice job of preparing the planting holes. I wouldn't buy
from this place because they tend to be overpriced, but go to
www.waysidegardens.com, search for "clematis", and check out the pictures.
You should be able to find a few varieties locally, and someone here can
probably recommend a mail order dealer or three.

How much sun does the area get?

Old 13-08-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
vio vio is offline

I grew a silver lace vine over my wood fence --- it certainly is
rampant! If you go for sumac --- I once made a wonderful, robust,
splendidly colourful jelly from the fruits.

Old 13-08-2006, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

sun most of the day.............
NO, i don't hate my neighbors, actually i like them very much.
BUT, i LOVE my privacy.

i will look into the clematis,,,,,,,,,,,,they just seem so slow to grow!

Old 13-08-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

readandpostrosie wrote:
sun most of the day.............
NO, i don't hate my neighbors, actually i like them very much.
BUT, i LOVE my privacy.

i will look into the clematis,,,,,,,,,,,,they just seem so slow to grow!

They don't grow fast, that's true. IIWY, I would go to a local
nursery (not a chain store with a gardening area) and give your
wants to someone who seems knowledgeable and see what they
suggest. Some things grow great and huge and fast in some areas
but not in others.

Tracey

Old 13-08-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Clematis might bloom just a little bit the first year, more the second year,
and the third year is rock & roll time. It never ends unless you kill it.
They look a little ratty after frost kills the leaves, but the wind blows a
lot of them off the vines. If not, you can usually brush them off by hand,
or with a whisk broom. Remember whisk brooms? :-)

Old 14-08-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Good! We should start a company to market whisk brooms as something totally
new to befuddle the current generation of 20-somethings. We'll call it a
spider de-webber, for cleaning off the rubber strip at the bottom of garage
doors. $119.95. Call NOW, and receive, absolutely free, a one year supply of
(insert idea here). Paper lunch bags? Bit waot! There's more!

Old 14-08-2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Know what you mean there. When you said sumac being in the South I naturally
think poison ivy
I did a google for non-poisonous and found a beautiful one called
Red Sumac. Lovely fall color.
http://www.dennisflood.com/photos/po...ridge-6218.jpg
Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 15-08-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hey that's the best kind...FREE! Go dig some up.
In the spring I always carry a shovel with me. If is it not protected and is
a native plant to your area that is. Also doesn't have a no-trespassing sign
around or happens to be a wildflower project!

Good luck
Elaine in GA
Zone 7b

Old 15-08-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Elaine wrote:

Hey that's the best kind...FREE! Go dig some up.
In the spring I always carry a shovel with me. If is it not protected and is
a native plant to your area that is. Also doesn't have a no-trespassing sign
around or happens to be a wildflower project!

I bet you can't transplant sumac easily, as it spreads mostly by spreading
runners, so is living off some other nearby plant system rather than by
its own roots.

Smooth Sumac is what I planted right next to the south wall of the house,
for shade in the summer and a pleasant shadow pattern. Being a lightweight
tree, it doesn't hurt the house.

On the other hand, it tends to break or have leaf die-offs rather easily,
leaving you with a sunny patch in your shade pattern for a year or so.

I planted bare-root sumaclettes from a mail order nursery. I don't know
where they get them.

Little offshoots are constantly trying to come up in the lawn, by the dozens.
They get scythed down regularly but remain undiscouraged. (I scythe the lawn
rather than mowing, just as a hobby. Mowing would work too.)

--
Ron Hardin

Old 15-08-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Humm, seems to me that sumac would be sumac whether bought mail order or dug
up
as long as it had enough of a root system to it to get established.

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b

Old 15-08-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ron Hardin wrote:

Elaine wrote:

Hey that's the best kind...FREE! Go dig some up.
In the spring I always carry a shovel with me. If is it not protected and is
a native plant to your area that is. Also doesn't have a no-trespassing sign
around or happens to be a wildflower project!

I bet you can't transplant sumac easily, as it spreads mostly by spreading
runners, so is living off some other nearby plant system rather than by
its own roots.

Here in TN they transplant easily. My first year here, before I realized
just how prolific they were, I transplanted one that was in the way.
It's doing fine, 15 years later.

Kate, who's also watered ragweed not knowing what it was...

[IMG] code is On

Killing Sumac tree roots - Help Rick United Kingdom 13 19-09-2004 09:15 PM
Mulch/Posion Sumac?? Shellie Cahill Gardening 2 09-06-2004 10:55 AM
[IBC] African Sumac Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 0 04-01-2004 07:34 PM
[IBC] African Sumac Iris Cohen Bonsai 2 04-01-2004 06:21 PM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM