Old 18-09-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Somewhat Off Topic

Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only
other seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth.
Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed
for popping?

just curious

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 18-09-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
t...
Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only other
seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth.
Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed for
popping?

just curious

Carl

I was curious too so I did a bit of Googling.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...ing-Grains.asp

I also read a few blogs and it seems the results across the board aren't
that great. Everyone I read said that about 75% of it burned before any of
it actually popped and the it's very teeny tiny puffs. Could be kind of
cool for miniature popcorn strings for the doll house Christmas tree

Val

Old 18-09-2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...ryingStirFryin
g-Grains.asp

I also read a few blogs and it seems the results across the board aren't
that great. Everyone I read said that about 75% of it burned before any of
it actually popped and the it's very teeny tiny puffs. Could be kind of
cool for miniature popcorn strings for the doll house Christmas tree

Val

Carl,

Try your request over on some of the food groups. Also try any of the
health/organic food stores around you. I've had a cooked amaranth dish -
sort of a pilaf; I liked it a lot.

Cheryl

Old 18-09-2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
t...

Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only other
seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth.
Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed for
popping?

just curious

Carl

I was curious too so I did a bit of Googling.

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...ing-Grains.asp

I also read a few blogs and it seems the results across the board aren't
that great. Everyone I read said that about 75% of it burned before any of
it actually popped and the it's very teeny tiny puffs. Could be kind of
cool for miniature popcorn strings for the doll house Christmas tree

Val

thanx for the link. I had tried searching a long time ago and came up
empty.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 18-09-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only
other seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth.
Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed
for popping?

just curious

Carl

I'm not sure all amaranth seeds are appropriate for popping. You might
find the info you're looking for at nativeseeds.org. They carry seeds
for a variety of amaranth: http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/cat.php?catID=13

Old 18-09-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
nonnymoose wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only
other seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth.
Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed
for popping?

just curious

Carl

I'm not sure all amaranth seeds are appropriate for popping. You might
find the info you're looking for at nativeseeds.org. They carry seeds
for a variety of amaranth: http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/cat.php?catID=13

I have dealt with these folks.

http://www.nuworldfoods.com/

I do not pop it.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 20-09-2006, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping: Annonymoose

The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 20-09-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jan Flora wrote:
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and
fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(
Old 20-09-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping: Jan Flora

"nonnymoose" wrote in message
Jan Flora wrote:
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and
fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

I have some in my camera case I collected 3 years ago and just found,
wrapped in cellophane. Think I have a shot at gettting them to grow after
all this time? Got them in Hatchers Pass.

Betsy

Old 21-09-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jan Flora wrote:
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and
fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

I have some in my camera case I collected 3 years ago and just found,
wrapped in cellophane. Think I have a shot at gettting them to grow after
all this time? Got them in Hatchers Pass.

Betsy

Put the seed in the freezer for awhile, then try it. I'll bet it's
viable : )

I'll collect a little bit of seed, in case yours doesn't grow.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 21-09-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
nonnymoose wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and
fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

Gee, you're bouncing around the west?

Which desert? I love the Sonoran desert around Tucson and love
all of northern Nevada -- the Great Basin?

It's fall up here. Berry picking time...

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 21-09-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

Jan Flora wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jan, I will pop it in now and break it out in the Spring and start
them inside. I will let you know.

Betsy

Old 22-09-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
nonnymoose wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending
seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan
59N., 151W.

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and
fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

Gee, you're bouncing around the west?

Which desert? I love the Sonoran desert around Tucson and love
all of northern Nevada -- the Great Basin?

It's fall up here. Berry picking time...

Jan

I'm on the edge of the Mohave/Sonora deserts, but on the Mohave side -
in the hills above the third hottest place in the country. *groan*
Predominant vegetation is creosote and teddy bear cholla. It's been real
difficult trying to grow anything because of the summer heat, and what
does grow is quickly wiped out by voracious rabbits, burros and
tortoises so even cactus needs to be surrounded by wire fencing. We're
in a real ghost town, NW AZ, population 7. It's a different lifestyle,
for sure.
Karen