Old 18-09-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Killing a tree stump?

Hi there,

I have recently removed two trees from my garden as they were becoming
too big and were blocking out too much sunlight in certain parts of the
garden. They are c8 inches in diameter and i have managed to chainsaw
my way through the stup so that only 4inches remains on the one and
about 10 inches on the other [due to its location it was difficult to
get any lower].

Is there anything i can do to stop them re-growing/spruting or is that
it?

I hope someone can advise.

Regards,
Anthony

Old 19-09-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Drill a few vertical holes in the stumps and very carefully
pour in some Roundup. One application should be enough.

Do not spray the stump.

Roundup is a systemic herbicide which is normally absorbed
through living green matter. Your stumps have no green
matter left, so you need to get a fair amount into the core
of the remainder of the tree. Spraying the stump is basically
a waste of Roundup.

=============

Anthony wrote

Old 19-09-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I have recently removed two trees from my garden as they were becoming
too big and were blocking out too much sunlight in certain parts of the
garden. They are c8 inches in diameter and i have managed to chainsaw
my way through the stup so that only 4inches remains on the one and
about 10 inches on the other [due to its location it was difficult to
get any lower].

Is there anything i can do to stop them re-growing/spruting or is that
it?

I hope someone can advise.

If your stumps are very close to your home then you may want to avoid
rotting the trunk as it'll attract termites.

--
Tara

Old 19-09-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is there anything i can do to stop them re-growing/spruting or is that
it?

A lot depends on the species of the trees. Aspens, for instance, are
notorious senders-upof new shoots. The easiest thing to do, imho,
is to start a year or two before... ring the bark on the tree down through
the cambium. The tree then uses the stored reserves in the roots to send
out this year's nee crop of leaves, and this year's photosynthate doesn't
get transferred to the roots. After a couple of years of all give and no
take to the root system, you can generally take the tree down with minimal
chances of resprouting.

In your case, however, I'd suggest just a weekly walk around with a sharp
hoe, looking for evidence of regrowth.

Kay

Old 20-09-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Salt is less expensive, but I prefer Roundup because
I don't want the sodium introduced into my soil. For
$1 worth of Roundup, I know that the stump will die
and that the Roundup which leeches into the soil will
be harmless. (I buy Roundup in the huge containers
and the price per ounce is very economical that way.)

For many stumps in an area in which I'm not concerned
about the sodium, I would go with the salt. And, of
course, inexpensive sodium nitrate provides a double
benefit: It helps perform a somewhat quick kill on the
stump (still not as fast as Roundup), and it provides the
first step in a very, very good method of burning a stump
and its root structure.

Interesting question for which I don't have an immediate
answer: Does the use of Roundup or sodium impede the
absorbtion and distribution of nitrates throughout the stump
and its root system? In other words, is the distribution of
the nitrate optimized by a still living stump and root system?

Gideon

=============

M.Paul wrote

Old 23-09-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi there,

I have recently removed two trees from my garden as they were becoming
too big and were blocking out too much sunlight in certain parts of the
garden. They are c8 inches in diameter and i have managed to chainsaw
my way through the stup so that only 4inches remains on the one and
about 10 inches on the other [due to its location it was difficult to
get any lower].

Is there anything i can do to stop them re-growing/spruting or is that
it?

I hope someone can advise.

Regards,
Anthony

If you are in a zone good for huckleberries, & would want lovely fruiting
shrubs where the trees were, carve the stumps centers out until there's a
wooden "pot" that will hold a lot of woodchips & soil such as red and oval
leaf huckleberries like best. The hucks will thrive for years as the
stumps rot away. Once there is nothing left of the stumps, the hucks will
likely fade away (or at least no longer produce harvestable amounts of
good sized berries), as they need a super high amount of beneficial fungus
that devours wood & which they get only by growing on stumps.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html

Old 24-09-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

You can also make a bird bath from the tree stump by placing a basin or
upside-down pot tray on top of the stump.

If saplings sprout up near the tree stump, pull them out with a weed
twister, the one with the coiled tines.

Reduce, re-use, recycle, ...

paghat wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Apple Tree Stump Remonal Pete United Kingdom 8 30-09-2008 03:17 AM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump Kumar Varadan Gardening 1 17-04-2003 06:08 PM