Old 29-09-2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with ID of large green leaf tree ?

Hi,

I have been trying to identify this tree which is growing in a cramped
area in the back of my yard in Massachusetts. I tried a few online
sites, but couldn't find any leafs like this one.

http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscworc/IMG_1017.jpg

The leaves are ~ 12" long. We've only noticed this type of tree once
before in the area (in the Providence zoo).

Any help is appreciated. We are trying to figure out what type of tree
to plant for shade, and find this one very interesting (and think it
might provide good shade, while still keeping an open feel).

Thanks,

Chris

Old 29-09-2006, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

chris_290 wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to identify this tree which is growing in a cramped
area in the back of my yard in Massachusetts. I tried a few online
sites, but couldn't find any leafs like this one.

http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscworc/IMG_1017.jpg

The leaves are ~ 12" long. We've only noticed this type of tree once
before in the area (in the Providence zoo).

Any help is appreciated. We are trying to figure out what type of tree
to plant for shade, and find this one very interesting (and think it
might provide good shade, while still keeping an open feel).

Thanks,

Chris

Maybe Big Leaf Magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla?
Here's a link: http://www.gwf.org/bigleaf.htm

I saw one in bloom at a local display garden. It was magnificent, with
flowers about 12" across. The leaves aren't like other magnolias, being
a lot thinner, a lighter shade of green and they aren't at all waxy
looking.

Alana Gibson

Old 29-09-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Alana Gibson wrote:
chris_290 wrote:
[...]

If you identification is correct, here is what Sunset says:
deciduous
slow growing to 30 ft
spreads to 20 ft
blooms when 12-15 years old
fragrant white flowers as much as 16 inches across
in late spring or early summer (after leafing out)

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/

Old 02-10-2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks everyone for the help ! I now know what type of tree we are
hoping to get (or to move from the corner of the backyard) - though I
will have to be careful it won't be in too sunny a spot.

I couldn't get closer pictures of the tree I posted the initial photo
of, but I did get some closer up shots of the one in my yard. They are
slightly different - but probably closely related.

I don't need any feedback on these, just wanted to put these out there
as you've all been helpful, and seem to enjoy this

Chris

(The first two are the tree from the providence zoo, 3, 4 and 5 are
from the one in my backyard (kind of the same)

http://home.earthlink.net/~chriscworc/Desktop.html

wrote:
It's Magnolia tripetala.