Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Deer

Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"risky" wrote in message
Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Dogs, wolves, puma.......these seem to keep deer out of the garden. Have yet
to hear of a spray or "trick" that really works. There's supposed to be
some water gun type sprinklers with motion sensors reported to work

Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" wrote in message

"risky" wrote in message
Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my
shrubs.

Dogs, wolves, puma.......these seem to keep deer out of the garden. Have
yet to hear of a spray or "trick" that really works. There's supposed to
be some water gun type sprinklers with motion sensors reported to work

Even shooting them is a temporary measure. More will arrive shortly. Fencing
is really the only way, and even then, many towns won't let you build a
fence over six feet high. Mature deer will laugh at a six foot fence.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

risky wrote:
Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Netting works. You can either install as a fence, lay over vegetation
or in front of vegetation.
Deer don't like to mess with it. Apparently laying in front of a
flower bed will keep them away as hooves could get them tangled up.
I'm trying over an ivy bed and bed seems to be prospering. Deer are
browsers, just walking around like yard is a salad bar. Winter is
toughest time as they run out of things to eat and may have to get at
plants where annoying netting is in place.
Frank

Old 03-10-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

risky wrote:
Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Andy writes:

I was plagued by a horde of squirrel.... I shot one and made a
little
gallows, and hung him prominiently from it in the middle of the
garden.

I am no longer plagued by squirrel. They don't even come near my
garden..

I think it might work for deer.... You will need a bigger gallows,
tho..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

ROTFLMAO!

--
anger? or outrage over the direction the USA has taken under bush!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNI5RPOlp4

"AndyS" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 03-10-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

I was plagued by a horde of squirrel.... I shot one and made a
little
gallows, and hung him prominiently from it in the middle of the
garden.

I am no longer plagued by squirrel. They don't even come near my
garden..

I think it might work for deer.... You will need a bigger gallows,
tho..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Andy, your post got me thinking. I've been wondering how a deer's
jawbone got under my chestnut tree:

http://www.dol.net/~frank.logullo/jawbone.jpg

This time of year, the deer, squirrels and I are in competition for my
chestnut crop and as chestnuts started to drop I found the jawbone. I
believe it might have come from a dead fawn that my neighbor, maybe 200
yards away, found in his yard a few months ago. He just dumped it in
the woods in back of his lot.

It is obvious to me now that the squirrels put it under my chestnut
tree to scare the deer.
Well it did not work - you can see what I posed the jawbone next too
under the chestnut tree

Frank

Old 04-10-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

risky wrote:
Any tricks, sprays, etc. other than shooting them or fencing them out. I
can't keep them out of my flower beds and stop them from eating my shrubs.

Hi Risky,

This may sound totally nuts but feed em! My next door neighbor actually
puts food out for the deer. His property is well groomed and has never
complained about the deer (usually 2 or three daily) vandelizing his
flowers. Also I found a really interesting website that has a few good
solutions: http://tinyurl.com/nofzv

Good luck!

Em

Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote: It is obvious to me now that the squirrels put it under
my chestnut
tree to scare the deer.
Well it did not work - you can see what I posed the jawbone next too
under the chestnut tree

Frank

Andy writes:

Well, Frank, if it is the jawbone of a female deer, you could be
mistaken. They don't stop moving until a very long time after the
animal dies, and it could have worked it's way onto your place....
If it was the jawbone of a buck, you are probly right...They
don't talk much......

:)))) Andy in
Eureka, Texas

Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Andy writes:

Well, Frank, if it is the jawbone of a female deer, you could be
mistaken. They don't stop moving until a very long time after the
animal dies, and it could have worked it's way onto your place....
If it was the jawbone of a buck, you are probly right...They
don't talk much......

:)))) Andy in
Eureka, Texas

Deer driving me nuts. Went after chestnuts about a half hour before
sunset last night and had to chase 5 of them away - 2 does and 3 fawns.
Wondering about my original comment in thread about netting. The
biggest doe just bounded through it. Maybe will stop them form eating
it.

I hunt deer and it does not surprise me to find bones scattered. Lost
a wounded buck during muzzleloader season and a month later during
shotgun season, was finding bones on way to my stand. Finally found
most of skelton about 400 yards from stand,

What is weird about this jawbone is that both bones were found
together. Had to be the squirrels.

Frank

Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

I feel your pain. They are a real pest. EAT THE BUGGERS! Roast them with
Yukon Gold potatoes.

Farmer John
45N,77W

[IMG] code is On

Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
Deer damage especially severe JohnF North Carolina 1 30-03-2003 02:08 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 01:35 AM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM