Old 29-12-2006, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedges

I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I was
looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but if
left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

Old 29-12-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

James wrote:

I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I was
looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but if
left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

maybe some Hollys? Crepe Myrtles? Tough, most plants WANT to grow. Can
the hedge EVER be pruned - even on alternate years or something? Just
because a plant CAN reach 40' doesn't mean you must allow it.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 29-12-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
James wrote:

I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I
was looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but
if left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

maybe some Hollys? Crepe Myrtles? Tough, most plants WANT to grow. Can the
hedge EVER be pruned - even on alternate years or something? Just because
a plant CAN reach 40' doesn't mean you must allow it.

Carl

All plants seem to have a natural height whereby they don't grow taller or
at least not much. I'm looking for something evergreen that seems to max out
around 10 feet after it reaches that. Yes, some trimming would be in order
from time to time but I don't want a runaway reaching for the sky.

Old 30-12-2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

James wrote:
I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I was
looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but if
left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

Given those requirements: not too tall, evergreen and fairly cold hardy
limits the selection to a few.
Holly is a good plant that might work:
ilex glabra, Inkberry
Ilex verticillata, winterberry
or Ilex crenata, Japanese holly
Also Mahonia, Oregon grape, or
Taxus, Yew. There are Taxus x media hybrids such as
Hicksii or Hatfieldii, these are in the 8-12 foot range I think.
Taxus is not a rapid grower, however.
and there is Japanese Privet, Ligustrum japonicum. ( I would never
suggest it for the west, it is an agressive invader here)
But it serves the purpose in colder areas.

What you might consider rather than a 100 ft. hedge of one species
is mixing several kinds of plants into a "hedgerow". You could even
include some deciduous varieties with the evergreens. If some
noxious pest/disease appears, you will not be as likely to lose all
the plants as you could with a monoculture hedge.

Good luck with your project.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Take a look at : Strawberry tree Arbutus unendo

"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...

James wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 06:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM