Old 26-01-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Worm Composting

DWW wrote:

That's strange, MOST of the sources I've seen say that optimum worm
composting occurs at 65-80 and the worms stop composting at around 40,
including this reference from wormdigest.org:

Best Temperature & OK Temperatures
A worm bin will eat up the most food waste when the bedding is 70°F-80°F.
All the bacteria are happy, and worms are most comfortable. Down at 45°F,
the bin slows down, and at 30° worms can freeze.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be (box,
plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying. You *KNOW*
somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not wet. Damp.

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping them
cool.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty
cold, and the worms are perfectly happy.

65degF AIR will 'feel' slightly cool to a human, 65deg water, stone or
soil, will likely feel very cold as it sucks the heat right out of you.
Worms are not mammals and are not generating heat. I'd expect 65-70 degs
to be a decent comfort zone for them, a little higher and their
metabolism probably speeds up but their lifespan may shorten. A typical
refrigerator probably extends their lifespan and slows their metabolism.

Most anywhere on earth, 12 feet down is about 65degs or so.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 27-01-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:04:06 -0500, Cheryl Isaak

I have been worm composting for over 10 years. I invested in a Can o
Worms and it has been an easy "hobby". I feed them coffee grounds and
veggie scraps (pre-cooked. The recycling benefits outwheigh the plant
nutrition benefits.

It is a good lesson for your child on diverting food waste from
landfills/garbage disposal. The science of worms is also fascinating.

Good Luck.
Old 27-01-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:21:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

As far as the real worms, keep them cool. The warmest spot in the
refrigerator is good, or the coolest spot in your basement. I prefer the
refrigerator, though, since that usually means the top shelf, toward the
front. Every time he opens the fridge...hello worms.

Don't put the worms in the fridge! The colder it gets, the slower
they work. In the winter, I cut back on the volume of food I feed
them. They like it dark and warm. No light. In fact, think of where
you find worms in nature - under leaves etc. I cover my worms with a
layer (6 sheets) of damp newspaper laid flat. When I can get shredded
newsprint I use that.

To prevent fruit flies (which are found mostly in banana peel skins)
freeze the scraps first. A fruit fly infestation is a nuisance.
Old 27-01-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:59:17 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be (box,
plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying. You *KNOW*
somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not wet. Damp.

True. My bin is plastic so there is no mosture loss

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping them
cool.

Been doing it for ten years and never heard of putting them in the
fridge. I agree that over 80d is too warm (but won't harm them). Over
the long term, worms in an enclosed environment will adjust their
population to the environment and food volume.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty cold,
and the worms are perfectly happy.

I've been asking my womr bin fellas for years how happy they are and
they will not tell me!

Old 27-01-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Mine are unionized worms. Our written agreement specifies that they
communicate, to avoid disagreements. Their health plan's a bitch, though.

Old 27-01-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

As far as the real worms, keep them cool. The warmest spot in the
refrigerator is good, or the coolest spot in your basement. I prefer the
refrigerator, though, since that usually means the top shelf, toward the
front. Every time he opens the fridge...hello worms.

Don't put the worms in the fridge! The colder it gets, the slower
they work. In the winter, I cut back on the volume of food I feed
them. They like it dark and warm. No light. In fact, think of where
you find worms in nature - under leaves etc. I cover my worms with a
layer (6 sheets) of damp newspaper laid flat. When I can get shredded
newsprint I use that.

Yeah....I realized I should not have posted that. Refrigeration is for worms
used for fishing, and it works. But they do get lethargic. I hereby retract
my statement.

Old 27-01-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

As far as the real worms, keep them cool. The warmest spot in the
refrigerator is good, or the coolest spot in your basement. I prefer the
refrigerator, though, since that usually means the top shelf, toward the
front. Every time he opens the fridge...hello worms.

Don't put the worms in the fridge! The colder it gets, the slower
they work. In the winter, I cut back on the volume of food I feed
them. They like it dark and warm. No light. In fact, think of where
you find worms in nature - under leaves etc. I cover my worms with a
layer (6 sheets) of damp newspaper laid flat. When I can get shredded
newsprint I use that.

Yeah....I realized I should not have posted that. Refrigeration is for worms
used for fishing, and it works. But they do get lethargic. I hereby retract
my statement.

You must be punished! 99% gold and 1 % dross for all your posts.

Bill who is more like 10% gold and 90% dross and half of my gold is
silver. But me and my dad used to go out to the the local school yard
after a heavy rain and drive in two copper rods about ten feet apart
and hook them to a car battery. Drove the night crawlers up.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 27-01-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I think that violates the Geneva Convention. :-)

Old 27-01-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:54:08 -0500, William Wagner wrote:

Bill who is more like 10% gold and 90% dross and half of my gold is
silver. But me and my dad used to go out to the the local school yard
after a heavy rain and drive in two copper rods about ten feet apart and
hook them to a car battery. Drove the night crawlers up.

30 years ago I knew a girl that did something similar only the ones she
used were shorter and plugged into a wall socket. 110 Volts. They had
bicycle grips as handles and you just pushed them into the damp ground. It
was actually kind of cool to put your hand on the ground in between the
spikes. You got a tickle. Not sure I'd want to try that today but I was
young...........

Steve
Old 28-01-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
news
"William Wagner" wrote in message

rnews.net...

wrote:

[...]

I think you mean the Wormeva Convention.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak View Post
Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

[IMG] code is On

Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg Wylie Wilde Gardening 8 08-03-2011 08:21 PM
Do Worm castings contain worm eggs? Wylie Wilde Australia 11 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
Worm Composting System on a budget Graham Dixon United Kingdom 3 23-11-2003 06:03 PM
Worm composting Hinzy Gardening 2 17-09-2003 12:42 AM
Worm Composting Graham Dixon United Kingdom 0 29-08-2003 06:22 PM