Old 23-01-2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Worm Composting

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having

fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

tell him he is taking up fishing as a hobby. In a few months you will buy
him the rod.

rob

Old 23-01-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

Corn Meal

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 23-01-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having
fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

Has your husband ever seen the worms & dirt snack that some kids think is so
cool? If he objects to the worms, make him that snack as a form of shock
therapy. Chocolate pudding, with oreo cookies (minus the cream) crumbled on
top, like dirt. Stick gummy worms into some holes in the pudding, as if
they're crawling out.

As far as the real worms, keep them cool. The warmest spot in the
refrigerator is good, or the coolest spot in your basement. I prefer the
refrigerator, though, since that usually means the top shelf, toward the
front. Every time he opens the fridge...hello worms.

Old 24-01-2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/23/07 7:20 AM, in article , "George.com"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having

fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

tell him he is taking up fishing as a hobby. In a few months you will buy
him the rod.

rob

That would work, NOT!

Old 24-01-2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Well, this will be interesting. My daughter joined the "Apprentice
Gardeners" program (for third graders) at her school and has been having

fun
all year. The "lesson" this week is worm composting. She is now the
proud
owner of a shoe box with 40 red wigglers and some damp shredded
newspaper
and the complete instructions for their care and feeding. We'll see how
it
goes.

Wish me luck explaining this one to my husband.

Cheryl

tell him he is taking up fishing as a hobby. In a few months you will buy
him the rod.

rob

That would work, NOT!

Substitute "boat" for "rod". Tell him your daughter wants to enter the
Bassmaster tournament, which she will win because kids *always* catch more
fish. It seems to be a law of nature.

Old 24-01-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

It still wouldn't work. New sports car might, but I can seem to find a way
to tie to worms....

Old 24-01-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yikes! That seems cold. Why do you put them intot the frig.?

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in ...

Old 24-01-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be (box,
plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying. You *KNOW*
somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not wet. Damp.

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping them
cool.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty cold,
and the worms are perfectly happy.

oups.com...

Old 25-01-2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

tell him hes getting one of these http://www.aquada.co.nz/

may sell it to him.

rob

Old 25-01-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be
(box, plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying.
You *KNOW* somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not
wet. Damp.

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping
them cool.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty
cold, and the worms are perfectly happy.

Aren't they also dormant when they are cool? How much composting gets done
when the worms aren't doing anything?
Old 25-01-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

Three reasons:

1) If they're not in the fridge, their "home", whatever it may be
(box, plant tray) will be exposed to house heat, which means drying.
You *KNOW* somebody's gonna forget to keep the worm bedding damp. Not
wet. Damp.

2) Because *all* sources of worm-raising information suggest keeping
them cool.

3) Stick your hand 6" down into the outdoor soil in April. It's pretty
cold, and the worms are perfectly happy.

Aren't they also dormant when they are cool? How much composting gets
done
when the worms aren't doing anything?

At some temperature, yes. I don't know where the cutoff point is. But,
they're still quite active during cooler times of year when the soil's
chilly enough to be uncomfortable to work with bare hands.

Old 25-01-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
DWW DWW is offline

That's strange, MOST of the sources I've seen say that optimum worm
composting occurs at 65-80 and the worms stop composting at around 40,
including this reference from wormdigest.org:

Best Temperature & OK Temperatures
A worm bin will eat up the most food waste when the bedding is 70°F-80°F.
All the bacteria are happy, and worms are most comfortable. Down at 45°F,
the bin slows down, and at 30° worms can freeze.

Old 25-01-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"DWW" wrote:

[...]

My Dad made a box out of brick and mortar. Placed it in our basement ~
about 60 F. 4 feet long 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Worked. Grew
tired of it about 5 years latter. 50 years ago. Now I just look at my
wood chip piles for crawlers and transplant them to areas in my garden
that need work. They all do )

Bill

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

[IMG] code is On

Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg Wylie Wilde Gardening 8 08-03-2011 08:21 PM
Do Worm castings contain worm eggs? Wylie Wilde Australia 11 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
Worm Composting System on a budget Graham Dixon United Kingdom 3 23-11-2003 06:03 PM
Worm composting Hinzy Gardening 2 17-09-2003 12:42 AM
Worm Composting Graham Dixon United Kingdom 0 29-08-2003 06:22 PM