Old 28-01-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grass in rose bushes

My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

Old 28-01-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

Water deeply or wait for a serious rain. Wait a day. Pull grass by hand.

Old 28-01-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 28, 9:27 am, " wrote:
My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

Sorry, I should have mentioned that when I tried pulling and digging
we had recently had lots of rain. Still won't come out and almost
impossible to get my hands in among the stems without tearing gloves.
Might mention to anyone else, that we live in Atlanta area where
ground even when very moist is still like clay. Thanks Liz

Old 28-01-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 28, 9:27 am, " wrote:
My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

Sorry, I should have mentioned that when I tried pulling and digging
we had recently had lots of rain. Still won't come out and almost
impossible to get my hands in among the stems without tearing gloves.
Might mention to anyone else, that we live in Atlanta area where
ground even when very moist is still like clay. Thanks Liz

If you insist on using some sort of chemical, I'd get a recommendation from
a local garden center. Definition of local garden center:

- Not Home Depot
- Not Lowe's
- Not Wal Mart
- Real garden center, but if you speak to a teenage clerk who accompanies
you to the chemical shelf and reads the fine print on the labels, walk away
fast. You want someone who knows what to use without having to standing
there looking at the labels.

Why local? If they say "It won't harm the rose bushes", and it does harm
them, you want to be able to get your hands around a real person's neck. Or,
get free rose bushes.

Old 28-01-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Can't you just smother it out with that stuff they put down to block weeds
from growing up into garden beds?

Old 28-01-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have grass growing in my spreading juniper groundcover and I've
decided to just start over. It's all coming out after 20+ years. I
have been able to carefully roundup the grass, but it just keeps
coming.

Old 29-01-2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 28 Jan 2007 06:27:18 -0800, "
wrote:

My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

For best results and better roses the soil around roses should be rich
and loose. After removing the grass (I recommend pulling it out by
hand) spread a layer of gypsum over the area and work it into the
soil. Then spread a 1" layer of composted cow manure over the area.
I use "Black Kow" which works well. This will help loosen the soil
and feed your roses.
Old 29-01-2007, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 28 Jan 2007 06:27:18 -0800, "
wrote:

My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

Cover the ground area with several layers of newspaper and weigh it
down with dirt clumps or rocks. The grass should be dead in 4-8
weeks.
Old 29-01-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
GOW GOW is offline

Hi,

Here in Aus we can buy at least a couple of weedkillers that kill grass only
so they can be sprayed around most garden plants without harming them. One
is called Fusilade and the other is Sertain, both are fairly expensive but
well worth the price.
I have been using Fusilade for years to kill couch and other weed grasses
withut ever harming a wanted plant. Google is your friend.

Cheers
Col

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 30-01-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Given the constraints, I'd probably use a wiped application of glyphosate
(Roundup or similar). Wrap each rosebush in newspaper, or drop a cardboard
box over it. Apply glyphosate according to label instructions to just the
plants you want to kill -- it works best when your weeds are actively growing,
so water or wait for enough heat to start growth if you have to. When the
glyphosate is dry, remove the protection from the roses.

If you get glyphosate on a plant you want to keep, apply a slurry of soil and
water. Remember that glyphosate is applied to green tissues, not to the soil
or roots.

After you've gotten the current crop of weeds, use mulch to suppress the growth
of more weeds, or vow to hoe weekly.

Remember, read and follow label directions precisely... too strong a
concentration, applying at the wrong time of growth, at the wrong temp, or
just before a rain will probably result in poor control. Because you're
using a wiped application, it's necessary to wear proper protective gear,
including gloves.

Old 18-02-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 28 Jan 2007 06:27:18 -0800, "
wrote:

My "Nearly Wild" rose bushes are filled with grass growing
in between the stems.A lot of grass---
Admittedly, I should have attacked it last season, and didn't
Last week I tried digging it out and did not have much
success. It looks terrible. I read the label on the Ortho grass
killer and it states don't spray near plants, etc. so I assume
I can't use the Ortho. Is there anything I can put on the grass?
Or, other methods? Thanks Liz Zone 7

I wouldn't put that ******* on anything! Glad you didn't.

My recommendation would be to soak the area well, so the
grass will pull out easier. Long sleeves, thorn-proof gloves,
and a lot of patience. There is a tool with a split tip that
can be used to lever out grass that won't come out
even from soaked ground. Don't know its name, but
it's useful.

I am going through the same thing in an area that is tangled with Cape
Jasmine roots and running stems.

Persephone

Old 18-02-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:09:33 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Can't you just smother it out with that stuff they put down to block weeds
from growing up into garden beds?

I put that cloth down in one of my rose paths, even though my gardener
said it doesn't work. He was right. In a few months, the weeds were
back full force. They just grow on top of the cloth, in the dirt that
is deposited thereon in the natural course of things. Had it pulled
up. Never again.