Old 13-02-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gasoline Storage Question?

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.
Old 13-02-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/13/07 1:13 PM, in article
, "Dwight"
wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

How much are you trying to store? A gallon is rather small amount.....

Cheryl

Old 13-02-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article t,
says...
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

http://www.rei.com/category/40000752.htm

I wouldn't use any plastic container unless it's certified of fuel
use. Gasoline is a solvent.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 13-02-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dwight wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

If you are in the USA it is against federal law to store gasoline in
anything other than an approved plastic or metal can. The one gallon
plastic is what I use for my small motors. There is a product called
Stabile that keeps the gas from going stale and gumming up your
carburetors, I use it in all my small motors. I wouldn't use a plastic
container that originally contained anything else because some plastics
melt on contact with gasoline.

George

Old 13-02-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dwight wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Only use approved containers. It may void you home owners insurance if
you do something that is illegal. The UL Laboratories is an agency of
insurance companies. Their rules are for your safety.

Here are some approved small containers called "fuel bottles":

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shoppin...-detail&id=415

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...I_SEARCH&query
=%22fuel+bottle%22&x=0&y=0

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...arch/main.jsp?
command=text&ip_text=backpack+%22fuel+bottle%22&im age.x=0&image.y=0

They are used by Boy Scouts and campers to take fuel on back pack trips.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net
Old 13-02-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
Dwight wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Only use approved containers. It may void you home owners insurance if
you do something that is illegal. The UL Laboratories is an agency of
insurance companies. Their rules are for your safety.

Here are some approved small containers called "fuel bottles":

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shoppin...-detail&id=415

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...I_SEARCH&query
=%22fuel+bottle%22&x=0&y=0

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...arch/main.jsp?
command=text&ip_text=backpack+%22fuel+bottle%22&im age.x=0&image.y=0

They are used by Boy Scouts and campers to take fuel on back pack trips.

Good suggestions. But, here's a cool tip I learned recently: For long web
links, type a left arrow then paste or type the web link and then another
right arrow It keeps the link from falling apart. Slick.

Old 13-02-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dwight wrote:

[...]

Perhaps JoeSpareBedroom can understand this.

Much cooler .

http://tinyurl.com/

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 13-02-2007, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message

Dwight wrote:

[...]

Don't those links expire?

Old 13-02-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message

et...

news Dwight wrote:

[...]

Every thing expires. You can go the the site and book it then again it
my fail tomorrow. Much like annuals ))

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 13-02-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

news Dwight wrote:

[...]

Whatever. Yawn. My comments didn't bother you at all. They were presented
politely.

Old 15-02-2007, 10:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:13:03 GMT, Dwight
wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

No.

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Perhaps.

Have you other suggestions?

Use only containers approved for gasoline storage. Store the
containers away form the house/garage. Your local FD will give you
safety suggestions for free.

Old 15-02-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dwight" wrote in message
k.net...
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

The item shown in the URL below would eliminate storing oil/gasoline
mixtures.

Just mix up one quart and use it in your equipment right away.

http://www.shop.com/op/~Oil_to_Gas_M...304?sourceid=3

Old 16-02-2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 13, 1:13 pm, Dwight wrote:
I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

I cannot think of any common plastic disposable containers that are
soluble in gasoline but you would be making a serious mistake to store
gasoline in them.
For example, I've had old PE bottles with just water in them break and
leak in the garage. Light and air degrade plastics. Heat and solvents
accelerate.

Better to use a metal container such as an empty paint thinner can.

Frank

Old 16-02-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 13, 1:13 pm, Dwight wrote:
[...]

I have a small can of kerosene in my garage. I also have a small metal can
of airplane fuel (mostly methanol with some nirtomethane) that is fairly
flammable. Small metal cans like that are made for storing volatile
organics, and would work very well for gasoline. Make sure they are in good
shape and not damaged or leaking or rusty. Using anything not specifically
made for that purpose would be extremely dangerous. Using a Clorox bottle is
a house fire looking for a place to happen.

[IMG] code is On

riding mower leaking gasoline Ether Jones Gardening 8 06-09-2006 11:07 PM
Gasoline powered power washers ? Hilltop Cycle ATV Lawns 7 29-06-2006 03:31 AM
Old gasoline FDR Lawns 52 13-11-2005 11:48 PM
Storing gasoline/oil mixture question TOM KAN PA Gardening 10 04-07-2003 11:44 PM
Gasoline Varnish Removal virgin4ever Lawns 1 13-05-2003 02:20 PM