Old 08-11-2005, 01:57 AM
FDR

Default Old gasoline

I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I
suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be
"revived" somehow or used instead?

Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 AM
rider89

if the container was tight and there's no 2 cycle oil in it, the gas may be
in better condition than you might think.
as long as it's clean (no water, etc in the bottom) you can probably use it.
test a little of it in a lawnmower or whatever, and i think you'll find that
it is usable.

bill

.. .

Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 AM

Cant be revived. Its gone bad. If anything you can mix it with fresh
gas and run it on lawnmowers snowblowers etc. (would put it into a
car, might damage things)

Might not run the best but sometimes it better than dumping.

Otherwise you can use it to kill weeds grass etc along the fence.

Tom

Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Toller

I put a gallon at a time in my car's nearly full tank. Hasn't hurt it yet.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Don Young

I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe
valve sticking. I recently talked to someone removing heads from an air
cooled VW who had done the same thing. It is highly variable, you may very
well be able to mix it with fresh fuel and burn it without trouble.
Don Young

.. .

Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 AM
George E. Cawthon

FDR wrote:
I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I
suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be
"revived" somehow or used instead?

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly
because of varying conditions but often due to
blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a
problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old
means be really careful and the best advice is to
dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it
wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for
the entire period the gas will be in much better
condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at
higher temperatures.

If it really is about 1 year old just added a
gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of
gas in any vehicle.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Jim

Retired Navy guy here. When we went on those 6 or more extended tours on a
ship, I put my car in storage. I learned the hard way, the gas don't keep
that long.
2 things happen. Water forms in the tank from hot/cold cycles from the
weather, and the gas breaks down at the chemical level.
The car may or may not start upon my arrival home from a 6 or more month
tour. If it did run, it ran roughly. Putting "dry gas" additive in the
tank helps before storing gasoline that long, but its not perfect still at
the end of the time period. Filling the tank reduces the air in the tank,
and any corresponding water intrusion as a result. Gas stations that don't
do much business should be avoided as these are most likely to have water in
their storage tanks. Gasoline will, after stored extensively, turn into a
very sloppy, very loose gelatenous mass that no internal combustion engine
should ever see, diluted in "good" gas or not.

Other than killing weeds on the fenceline, there's another garden use. If
your tomatoes/potato crop location has that contagion that requires at least
two years of non-growth to allow the contagion to run its course, then pour
the gas in the area. 2 years later, and alls good irregardless.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
.. .

Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Joseph Meehan

George E. Cawthon wrote:
FDR wrote:
I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year
old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering
of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly
because of varying conditions but often due to
blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a
problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old
means be really careful and the best advice is to
dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it
wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for
the entire period the gas will be in much better
condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at
higher temperatures.

If it really is about 1 year old just added a
gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of
gas in any vehicle.

George has it right. My suggestion is to add a little at a time to your
car's gas tank. Only do this with a nearly full tank in the car. No more
than a gallon at a time, I would use less. Diluted like this will be safe
for your car.

Today's gas is better than that of years ago so it will last longer
before going bad, which it does just a little at a time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Bob

"Jim" wrote in message
Other than killing weeds on the fenceline, there's another

garden use. If
your tomatoes/potato crop location has that contagion that

requires at least
two years of non-growth to allow the contagion to run its

course, then pour
the gas in the area. 2 years later, and alls good

irregardless.

If you'd eat vegetables grown where gasoline was dumped,
MBTE and all, you are a far more "trusting" man than I.

Bob

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Don Young" wrote in message
I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe
valve sticking. Don Young

Interesting - we've had Farmall Cubs in the family for years and I've thrown
all kinds of gas in them in the past. But as I've gotten older and less
inclined to drain tanks & clean carburetors I've been more careful recently.
Just had to drain water out of mine (condensation) from being outside
covered with a tarp. I have a Massey Pony with a "sticky valve" and it's
power is greatly reduced. The only time I've had a Cub with power reduced
that much is when a plug was fouled.

.. .

Old 09-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Tom Miller

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:57:59 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

| I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I
| suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be
| "revived" somehow or used instead?

Only two gallons of just one year old gas? Dump it into your car's gas
tank and get new gas for the mower. The gas is not that old in the
first place and there's not enough of it to cause a problem to your
auto in the second place. Please don't dump it on the ground or use it
for weed killer, as this is environmentally damaging. In my state,
it's illegal. People get caught and fined for doing it.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Steveo

"Don Young" wrote:
I found that adding old gasoline to my Farmall Cub tractor caused severe
valve sticking.

Add it to your truck next time.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Joe Canuck

FDR wrote:

I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a year old. I
suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering of it could be
"revived" somehow or used instead?

One year old isn't a problem, but what could make it an issue is how the
gasoline was stored.