Old 20-02-2003, 02:27 AM
jammer

Default I am SOOOO ready for SPRING!/Long

Yes, so i suppose there will be a million of these posts in the next 6
weeks, but i have to spill some of this glee! My friends don't garden.

The last 2 days i cleared all weeds from my tomato garden plot. I
added manure and a little topsoil, mixed it all up, and am waiting for
the rains to come. I made a new "melon patch" behind the tomatoes.
Today i bought and started indoors, large beef hybrid tomato seeds,
catalope seeds, and watermelon seeds that grow 3 1/2 foot vines only.
(2 fruit per vine), and cantalope seed. You can almost watch cantalope
grow. I weeded my rose beds and pruned them down to about a foot and
cut off the dead stalks. They have new growth all over them in 2 days.
I have tulips up and i have 2 hyacinths in bloom. I still have about
an hour of weeding to do in the front. One is my iris bed on the side
of the house, and the other is where i will be putting some pretty
bushes and flowering trellis vines. (zone 7, done lots of research,
still not sure what i want) Along with seeds, i bought 8 caladium
bulbs for 4.88 at Walmart. If you go to walmart and look at the plants
and bulbs they have, you cannot walk out without something! I wanted
more, but spent all but 1.25 that i had on me. I am going to plant
them along the back of my pond with the elephant ear i have mulched
over, behind them in the corner. The bag says to plant jan/feb by
thier little color coded map. Online it says to plant in MAY! I don't
think i can live waiting that long!!! (Camille sighs as she lays the
back of her arm on her forehead and falls onto the bed in dispair)
I have 4 pond plants inside i am dieing to get into the pond. The
other pond plants are thriving in the pond winter or not. Then the
last thing will be the house plants, some desperate to go outside.
Actually there is one more thing....I have to come up with 2 "small
trees" or "large/tall thin bushes" to go on either side of the house
but close enough i don't want to endanger the foundation with roots.
Any ideas on that? I will keep looking as i have been. Another idea is
to drive around and if i see something i like, go ask them what they
are. I think i will do that.

I know there are a lot of people pumped/waiting for spring. I am
certainly one of them.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 20-02-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:34:14 GMT, Tracey wrote:

I know there are a lot of people pumped/waiting for
spring.

Yeah, me, for one. These nighttime temps of low 60's
has just *got* to go. beg

Tracey

What can't you plant with temps like that?

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 20-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Erin & Steve

I haven't seen grass since mid-December.

The dog disappeared from sight momentarily today after jumping into a drift
of snow.

I haven't not had socks on (outside the shower) for more than a moment in
several months.

I would start some seeds in my cellar if I wasn't at the risk of frostbite
by standing down there for more than ten minutes.

Am I ready for spring? uh, yeah.

Erin, z.6a, outside Boston

Old 20-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Tracey

What can't you plant with temps like that?

Nothing really. I was just being a smartass.

Actually, the one thing I've found I'm missing
is the bulbs. I liked seeing the crocuses and
tulips and irises come up, but the whole deal of
planting and then digging up and storing in a re-
frigerator for however many weeks is too much for
me.

Tracey

Old 20-02-2003, 04:39 AM
jammer

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:17:16 GMT, Tracey wrote:

What can't you plant with temps like that?

Nothing really. I was just being a smartass.

Oh!!

Actually, the one thing I've found I'm missing
is the bulbs. I liked seeing the crocuses and
tulips and irises come up, but the whole deal of
planting and then digging up and storing in a re-
frigerator for however many weeks is too much for
me.

Tracey

Well I am in 7A and i never dig up my bulbs. I leave them where they
are and mulch them. They always come back up. I want about 100 more.
Maybe next year.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 20-02-2003, 06:03 AM
Tracey

Well I am in 7A and i never dig up my bulbs.

I was told the first time I was here that spring
bulbs don't come back. Hawaii just doesn't seem
the place to plant tulips.

Tracey

Old 20-02-2003, 07:39 AM
jammer

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:47:51 GMT, Tracey wrote:

Well I am in 7A and i never dig up my bulbs.

I was told the first time I was here that spring
bulbs don't come back. Hawaii just doesn't seem
the place to plant tulips.

Tracey

Oh! Yes, guess they might need the cold.
Well in that case:

Ha ha haha ha, i haaave tuuulips and youooo doonnnt.

(j/k)

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 20-02-2003, 08:51 AM
gregpresley

Gee, Tracey, how tragic. I suppose you'll just have to content yourself with
sad second-rate bulbs such as amaryllis, callas, scilla peruviana,
gladiolus, ixia, freesia, gloriosa lily and the like.....Pitiful,
really.......

Old 20-02-2003, 02:39 PM
animaux

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:46:46 -0600, jammer wrote:

What can't you plant with temps like that?

I have the same or similar temps and the best time to do spring planting of
trees and shrubs is right now. Actually the ideal time is in the fall, but for
moving things, this is the window.

I never thought I'd like living where there is no snow, not much of a leave
change show, no lasting freezes...but I LOVE it now. Couldn't get me to move
one mile north of where I am unless it's to the PNW.
Old 20-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Pam

animaux wrote:

I never thought I'd like living where there is no snow, not much of a leave
change show, no lasting freezes...but I LOVE it now. Couldn't get me to move
one mile north of where I am unless it's to the PNW.

So when are ya coming? We are having a pretty great early spring right now - things
are popping out all over the place. My flowering currant is blooming, all the
hellebores are in full and amazing bloom along with the early bulbs like snowdrops,
fritillaries, crocus and iris reticulata. My 'Apple Blossom' clematis is just about
ready to unfurl its sweetly scented flowers and the camellias are just starting to
open. The nurseries are filling up fast with all the new stuff and of course I am
dragging plants home as fast as they appear on the tables :-)) It's a terrible
affliction! I'm off to the Northwest Flower and Garden show today for my annual
fix. Always a lot of great specialty vendors offering the newest and most exotic
stuff - I'll let you know what new treasures I find.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-02-2003, 09:27 PM
animaux

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:38:45 GMT, Pam wrote:

So when are ya coming? We are having a pretty great early spring right now - things
are popping out all over the place. My flowering currant is blooming, all the
hellebores are in full and amazing bloom along with the early bulbs like snowdrops,
fritillaries, crocus and iris reticulata. My 'Apple Blossom' clematis is just about
ready to unfurl its sweetly scented flowers and the camellias are just starting to
open. The nurseries are filling up fast with all the new stuff and of course I am
dragging plants home as fast as they appear on the tables :-)) It's a terrible
affliction! I'm off to the Northwest Flower and Garden show today for my annual
fix. Always a lot of great specialty vendors offering the newest and most exotic
stuff - I'll let you know what new treasures I find.

pam - gardengal

Well, it will not be for some years! We kinda love it here for now. IF we
leave, it will be PNW, fur sure.

Right now in our gardens the loropetalum (always spell it wrong), scabiosa,
redbuds, iris, all the perennial spring flowering bulbs, and tons and tons of
bluebonnets are up, along with poppies native and exotic.

There is one seed I cannot find in the GCenters. That's Mina lobata. I
actually want the yellow and white flowered M.lobata, but would take any at this
point. I hate to send away for ONE seed packet. So, if you happen to carry
either of these seeds, let me know.

I thought they'd have re-seeded last spring from the year before, but they
didn't. We did have a late frost in April. Just long enough to harm certain of
the more tender seedlings.

I'm really looking forward to this spring when I can really garden again. Being
cured of a disease will do that!

V-have a well deserved great time at the show. Our shows here are what I call
"The Hot Tub and Window Show." If you get my drift!