Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered User

Default Soooo much junk in a garden

Hi all

I popped in a while ago for advice re clearing a section of garden, about
90sq yards.

I have been stunned how much rubbish came out of a mound of mud....

1 caravan chassis
2 wheelbarrow loads of broken glass (builders wheel barrow)
6 wheelbarrow loads of bricks and general rubble
1 wheelbarrow load of smashed floor tiles
3 caravan wheels
2 beds and mattresses, rotted so the springs had burst out.
1 caravan roof
assorted old tools

I have (below) some before photos and some shots of how far I have got,
The oak/chestnut furniture I made at the weekend ready for when I have finished the great garden clearout.

At the back right of the garden thre are a few sheets of roof material, 3ft out of the ground and 5ft buried in the ground, I am tempted to leave them there and put pland of fencing in front of them.

Sorry, cant't post photos?
so a link to a gallery instead

Mark Baigent Photography | New Gallery

Mark
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baigent View Post
At the back right of the garden thre are a few sheets of roof material, 3ft out of the ground and 5ft buried in the ground, I am tempted to leave them there and put pland of fencing in front of them.
What is the roofing material? Check it's not asbestos.

You can't post pics because you're not actually posting to gardenbanter, you're posting to a newsgroup, uk.rec.gardening.
__________________
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Baigent" wrote in message

Hi all

I popped in a while ago for advice re clearing a section of garden,
about
90sq yards.

I have been stunned how much rubbish came out of a mound of mud....

1 caravan chassis
2 wheelbarrow loads of broken glass (builders wheel barrow)
6 wheelbarrow loads of bricks and general rubble
1 wheelbarrow load of smashed floor tiles
3 caravan wheels
2 beds and mattresses, rotted so the springs had burst out.
1 caravan roof
assorted old tools

whew - well done you. how did it all get there - please excuse no upper
case, i have a broken shoulder so can only use one hand to type atm.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Our garden is a little bigger than that, say about 3/4 of an acre. We worked it out that we have removed over 30 tons of assorted rubbish from the land over the last 15 years. AND we are still finding stuff. For instance today I found a mole hill, on top of the soil was part of a toy gun, some broken glass and a Shipham's Salmon paste jar.
Keep up the work and be sure to keep taking pictures of your progress. We did not have a camera when we began and regret it a lot that we have no real record of what we did.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Hiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
What is the roofing material? Check it's not asbestos.
I think the roofing is the concrete asbestos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
You can't post pics because you're not actually posting to gardenbanter, you're posting to a newsgroup, uk.rec.gardening.
Ah, t

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Hiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"
whew - well done you. how did it all get there - please excuse no upper
case, i have a broken shoulder so can only use one hand to type atm.
Bummer about the shoulder :-(

We are not sure how it all got there, the house is a hundred years old so I suspect generations of owners used the back of the long garden (150ft) as a dump, sadly. Still we are nearly there :-)

Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Hiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
Our garden is a little bigger than that, say about 3/4 of an acre. We worked it out that we have removed over 30 tons of assorted rubbish from the land over the last 15 years. AND we are still finding stuff. For instance today I found a mole hill, on top of the soil was part of a toy gun, some broken glass and a Shipham's Salmon paste jar.
Keep up the work and be sure to keep taking pictures of your progress. We did not have a camera when we began and regret it a lot that we have no real record of what we did.
30 tons!!! blimey, our garden is 150ft long which is probably why the far end had been misused for so long. Oh and it was hidden by shrubs so easy to ignore.

Salmon paste.... yummy

Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baigent View Post
Hiya

30 tons!!! blimey, our garden is 150ft long which is probably why the far end had been misused for so long. Oh and it was hidden by shrubs so easy to ignore.

Salmon paste.... yummy

Mark
The Concrete asbestos should be bagged (usually double bagged) and taken to your nearest recycling yard. Not sure about all of them, but ours here has a dedicated skip for such material.
The worst form of rubbish we have had to contend with is the batteries. There were (still are) hundreds of them from pre-war accumulator types to modern torch batteries. The heavy metals contained in them do not bear thinking about. We had to put our Veg patch in the only part of the garden where there were none.
When we dug the Lily pond I went down over a metre and still did not find the original soil level. There was an old pushchair in it, upright (sans enfant) to give you some idea of the depth.
There was no refuse collection here until quite recently so all rubbish was burned and the residue buried in the garden. You can imagine how much there is when you discover that the earliest house here was in the early 1600's and then 1804 and finally ours from 1900. Oh and of course the Army Field hospital from the First World War in the fields behind us.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 07 May 2011 15:58:28 +0000, Mark Baigent wrote:

At the back right of the garden thre are a few sheets of roof material,
3ft out of the ground and 5ft buried in the ground, I am tempted to
leave them there and put pland of fencing in front of them.

Looks like asbestos. If so then check for its breaking down. If it's
sound then leave it alone. If it's breaking down then you have a
potentially expensive toxic-waste removal job. Generally speaking
asbestos is harmless until you do something to create dust (e.g. sawing,
drilling, breaking).
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:39:17 +0000, Owdboggy
wrote:

Mark Baigent;920362 Wrote:
Hiya

[...]

A pity it's such a superhumanly big job: a more manageable size would
make it a wonderful DIY Time Team. Sacha's bottles should encourage
you, though.

--
Mike.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-05-08 17:40:13 +0100, Mike Lyle said:

On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:39:17 +0000, Owdboggy
wrote:

[...]
You can imagine how
much there is when you discover that the earliest house here was in the
early 1600's and then 1804 and finally ours from 1900. Oh and of course
the Army Field hospital from the First World War in the fields behind
us.

A pity it's such a superhumanly big job: a more manageable size would
make it a wonderful DIY Time Team. Sacha's bottles should encourage
you, though.

Ahem - could have phrased that last sentence better - am I now
officially Old Soak? ;-))

Oh dear! No, not even Old Spice for many years yet: but you've got
lots of bottle.

--
Mike.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Owdboggy wrote:

from pre-war
accumulator types to modern torch batteries.

My Dad used to breed tropical fish in accumulator jars! I believe they're
quite sought after now!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Owdboggy wrote:

from pre-war
accumulator types to modern torch batteries.

My Dad used to breed tropical fish in accumulator jars! I believe they're
quite sought after now!

I can remember taking the Accumulator down to the local Radio shop each
Saturday to have it charged up. Years later when I was in the Royal Navy, I
learnt what it was for. Does anyone else know? ;-))

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Owdboggy wrote:

from pre-war
accumulator types to modern torch batteries.

My Dad used to breed tropical fish in accumulator jars! I believe they're
quite sought after now!

The accumulator jars or the fish?

Alan

Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

from pre-war
accumulator types to modern torch batteries.

My Dad used to breed tropical fish in accumulator jars! I believe
they're quite sought after now!

The accumulator jars or the fish?

Alan

Both! 1960's guppies would blow the socks off the current drab little
things!