Old 19-03-2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default bineweed

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Old 19-03-2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"lyngiven" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Yes. All sorts of weird chemicals, but you probably won't want to put your
hands in the soil after using them.

Old 19-03-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 Mar 2007 05:37:58 -0700, "lyngiven"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a
week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out
of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not
every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does
at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not
bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.
Old 19-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

-Lyn

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a
week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out
of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not
every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does
at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not
bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

This is an example of the world catering to bad spellers. I found references
to both names, sharing the same Latin designation - the convulvulus whatever
it is relative of morning glory. I guess scientists have surrendered to mass
culture. :-(

Old 19-03-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Local folklore suggests that bindweed exists as a remedy for poison ivy
which may exist in proximity. Does here. I prefer soap and water for
possible contact with ivy. The bindweed was to be used as a lotion
after the fact.

What the hell is convulvulus o learned one?

I guess you meant Convolvulus.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 19-03-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Right. I misspelled it. You win. Go have a fruit rollup to celebrate.

Old 19-03-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:52:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Bindweed because it literally binds anything in its path. Oh, and,
uh...convulvulous? Hahahaha, you're a riot.
Old 19-03-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:52:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I already got burned for that.

Here's something that stinks of heresy: When lawns start choking from heat
and drought in the middle of summer, bindweed stays green and feels cool to
the feet. In other words, in my previous home, I surrendered. A guy from the
NY Department of Environmental Conservation said "Yeah, there's a chemical
you can use to get rid of it, but it's sorta like agent orange. Got kids?
Want them to live more than a week?"

Old 20-03-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"lyngiven" wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

When you pull bindweed out, each root fragment grows into a new plant.
The only way is to kill the plants and roots. I have used two methods,
smothering under a barrier and Roundup. Roundup kills the plants roots
and all. Smothering is slow but eventually again.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/weeds/w802w.htm

Regarding the plant that is used as a treatment for poison ivy, it is
jewelweed.

PRO: http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/jewelwed.htm

CON:
http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/...issn=0953-9859
&volume=002&issue=03&page=0178

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net
Old 20-03-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:52:54 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Here's something that stinks of heresy: When lawns start choking from heat
and drought in the middle of summer, bindweed stays green and feels cool to
the feet. In other words, in my previous home, I surrendered. A guy from the
NY Department of Environmental Conservation said "Yeah, there's a chemical
you can use to get rid of it, but it's sorta like agent orange. Got kids?
Want them to live more than a week?"

I am not suggesting anyone use "sorta like agent orange!" But there
are those out there who still hanker for Kelthane. Go figure.

Old 20-03-2007, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Stephen Henning wrote:

"lyngiven" wrote:

Can anyone suggest how I can stop bineweed creeping under the fence
that divides my garden from the adjoining playing fields. I spend
hours each year digging it up. is there a better solution?

When you pull bindweed out, each root fragment grows into a new plant.
The only way is to kill the plants and roots. I have used two methods,
smothering under a barrier and Roundup. Roundup kills the plants roots
and all. Smothering is slow but eventually again.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/weeds/w802w.htm

Regarding the plant that is used as a treatment for poison ivy, it is
jewelweed.

PRO: http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/jewelwed.htm

CON:
http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline/...issn=0953-9859
&volume=002&issue=03&page=0178

Thanks for the correction!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 20-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Dilligent and relentless cutting it off at the base at least once a
week. If the plant doesn't produce foliage it will eventually run out
of life. This procedure must be done at least once a week, if not
every four days. If it goes to flower and sets seeds, which it does
at a remarkable rate, you're toast. Also, it's called bindweed, not
bineweed, if it's the plant I'm thinking of.

It's also called field bindweed. I have a few bindweed vines that try
to grow in my yard each year and I quickly pull them out with my weed
twister.

I've been told by an expert (Dr. Tom Lanini, UC Davis) that the roots
of bindweed are connected to a deep network of roots that cover a
large area. I showed Tom how my weed twister can easily pull out deep
or shallow bindweed roots very thoroughly, but he wasn't impressed.
Nonetheless, in my home garden, I've been able to keep this stubborn
weed in check each year by twisting out a few new sprouts of bindweed
as soon as I spot them. If you catch them early, as Jangchub advises,
the work is minimal.

Go for the roots!

RayCruzer

-----
A little work ain't going to kill ya!

Old 20-03-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

I grow morning glorys and they can spread just as fast and far as blindweed.
The jackribbits here in the high mojave desert love to eat both of them.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

Old 20-03-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:

I am not suggesting anyone use "sorta like agent orange!" But there
are those out there who still hanker for Kelthane. Go figure.

Kelthane is a miticide, not a herbicide. Bindweed does attract spider
mites so Kelthane would make it healtheir.

Old 20-03-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:29:18 -0400, Stephen Henning
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I am not suggesting anyone use "sorta like agent orange!" But there
are those out there who still hanker for Kelthane. Go figure.

Kelthane is a miticide, not a herbicide. Bindweed does attract spider
mites so Kelthane would make it healtheir.

With all due respect, I was not talking to you. Kelthane has been
banned from the market. It's one of the most toxic chemicals on earth
and pesticides are all pesticides, even if they are herbicides, still
covered under the pesticide umbrella. Kelthane could never make any
plant healthier. It's soil and cultural practices which gives plants
health.