Old 14-04-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Greenhouse installation

Just got a 10' x12' x 10' height polycarbonate greenhouse with aluminum
structure kid for the wife:
The instruction is to excavate the area to a depth of 5" and bury the
greenhouse base frame in it with gravel. No other anchoring method is
provided. Even though I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area with not
that much wind but I'm concern about wind loading after installation. Has
anyone installed one of this?

Old 14-04-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had 65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last about 10
secs out here.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

. ..

Old 14-04-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had 65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last about 10
secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

Old 15-04-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..
Just got a 10' x12' x 10' height polycarbonate greenhouse with aluminum
structure kid for the wife:
The instruction is to excavate the area to a depth of 5" and bury the
greenhouse base frame in it with gravel. No other anchoring method is
provided. Even though I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area with not
that much wind but I'm concern about wind loading after installation. Has
anyone installed one of this?

The Greenhouse Forum on Gardenweb (
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs/ ) has a lot of information on
installing and reinforcing that greenhouse. If you read the FAQ for the
forum and do a search for HFGH you will find plenty of information.

Bill

Old 15-04-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

What greenhouses? No such thing out here where we can get to 120F in bid
summer and -20F in winter and right now I'm watching the 50mph winds blowing
threw the area.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

. ..

Old 15-04-2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Starlord" wrote:

What greenhouses? No such thing out here where we can get to 120F in bid
summer and -20F in winter and right now I'm watching the 50mph winds blowing
threw the area.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had 65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last about
10 secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

Ya know Mr. Lord, just because trans-semenation of DNA is possible, or
even likely, doesn't doesn't mean that we are the descendants of milk
giving, tree swingers from outer space. We still had to modify our
franchise through evolution to make us pertinent to our local ecology.
Like evolution started here before there was oxygen to breath, ya know.
Just thought I'd mention it.
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 15-04-2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

The Greenhouse Forum on Gardenweb (
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/strucs/ ) has a lot of information on
installing and reinforcing that greenhouse. If you read the FAQ for the
forum and do a search for HFGH you will find plenty of information.

Bill

Thanks Bill, lots of good info.

Old 15-04-2007, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"** Frank **" wrote:

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had 65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last about 10
secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

We get "hurricane" force winds here in southcental Alaska all the
time, but our greenhouses survive. We build with the wind in mind.
Peg 'em down good and build them in the lee of timber, alders, a
tall building, a hillside, whatever.

We built our house with a prow-point, like the bow on a ship. It's
pointed right at the glacier winds we get. This timber-framed house
shudders once in awhile, but it won't blow down. We get 100 mph wind
at least once every winter here. And earthquakes. (We're about 50 miles
from the epicenter of the largest EQ ever in N. America. The 1964
Alaska quake. A 9.4 -- my DH was a little boy -- he said the cows
and horses all fell down from the ground waves.)

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Old 15-04-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

good for you, only this is DESERT land, no forest unless you could the
limited number of the johus trees around anyplace. This trailer park has the
trailers in such a way the the trailers for the most part point North/South
bradside to the wind and my gardenfield is wide open to the winds, no
buildings at all and you can't go deep here as the hardpan botten in only
about 5inch down, and over on edwards afb the suttle lands on a oil covered
hardpan runway. On thursday the 65mph winds took down 4 good sized tree
branchs and one storage shead is being riped apart by the winds, last year 2
such sheads where ripped apart in just about 30 mins, so if the owner gets
the stuff, he might fix his, but the ones we lost last year turned into
shreads from the winds and it's plain and simple, There are ZERO greenhouses
standing in the area, the feds raded a farm out in the area of 200th st west
because they where trying to grow pot, but the green houses they have buid
had been tore apart by the winds during the week before, that's why someone
found out what they where doing and had reported them, it was in the
newspaper the next week. So there are no sales of GH's in this area, oh ya,
up around the city of Mojave, home for the Mojave Space Port, they get winds
of 100mph at night, and because of the hills up there covered with the
windmills for power they get wind almost all the time and no GH's up there
at all either. Right now we've got 40mph winds flowing past the trailer and
it's been blowing all night too. I dread to think what my iris are like
today.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

Old 15-04-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

live out in the High Mojave Desert, you'd be singing another turn. One that
everyone knows out here.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the
Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that they may yet be
brothers of man, who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the
heavens.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Jan Flora contains these words:

In article ,
"** Frank **" wrote:

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had
65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight.

65 mph? That's only a breeze :-

That thing would last about 10
secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

We get "hurricane" force winds here in southcental Alaska all the
time, but our greenhouses survive. We build with the wind in mind.
Peg 'em down good and build them in the lee of timber, alders, a
tall building, a hillside, whatever.
We get 100 mph wind
at least once every winter here.

Ditto, here in west Scotland. Last winter, the anemometer broke off
when the wind reached 120 mph. At my last place, the greenhouse we put
up in 1984 is still in perfect condition and has never lost a pane
(except once, when somebody shot it).

The most important thing to remember in a windy area, is to keep the
frame locked square and true. If the wind can distort it to even
slightly diamond-shaped, the glass will either crack or ping out. We dug
a rectangular trench and laid a level concrete foundation in it, then
bolted the bottom of the GH frame to it; cheap but that frame will never
distort. The second point, is to keep the doors and vents firmly shut
during very high wind (maintaining an even level of resistance inside,
to the external windpressure).

And earthquakes. (We're about 50 miles
from the epicenter of the largest EQ ever in N. America. The 1964
Alaska quake. A 9.4 -- my DH was a little boy -- he said the cows
and horses all fell down from the ground waves.)

Ow, that's a big one :-(

We're about one mile from a tectonic faultline producing around 30
minor earthquakes annually. (According to the meteorological survey,
which records them). Though in 30 years of living in two different
houses 60 miles apaprt but both on the fault-line, only three of the
quakes were strong enough to for us to feel them. The last noticeable
one in 1999 was a 4 on the richter scale.

Janet

Old 15-04-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
good for you, only this is DESERT land, no forest unless you could the
limited number of the johus trees around anyplace. This trailer park has
the trailers in such a way the the trailers for the most part point
North/South bradside to the wind and my gardenfield is wide open to the
winds,

Why are they placed broadside to the wind? Wouldn't that be less safe that
the wind hitting them head-on?

[...]

Old 15-04-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Starlord" wrote:

[...]

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

It would not last here in the High Mojave Desert, on friday we had
65mph
winds and they are coming bact for tonight. That thing would last
about
10 secs out here.

Wow, what do you guys do for greenhouses out where you are?

Ya know Mr. Lord, just because trans-semenation of DNA is possible, or
even likely, doesn't doesn't mean that we are the descendants of milk
giving, tree swingers from outer space. We still had to modify our
franchise through evolution to make us pertinent to our local ecology.
Like evolution started here before there was oxygen to breath, ya know.
Just thought I'd mention it.
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Na, the sulfuric acid rain would ruin my hair. But we digress:-)
Old 15-04-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Because to get most of the trailers onto the land, via the one road into it
calls for the trailers to be have their ends pointed north/south but with 28
trailers it's only the winds coming in between the trailers that does
anything. This is a small park, and it's been here since the early 1960's
too.

Old 16-04-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:51:44 -0700, "** Frank **"
wrote:

Just got a 10' x12' x 10' height polycarbonate greenhouse with aluminum
structure kid for the wife:
The instruction is to excavate the area to a depth of 5" and bury the
greenhouse base frame in it with gravel. No other anchoring method is
provided. Even though I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area with not
that much wind but I'm concern about wind loading after installation. Has
anyone installed one of this?

I have a 200 square foot greenhouse which is anchored using in ground,
auger-like thingies. They were sold as an accessory with the
greenhouse. I didn't visit the URL you provided, but we have strong,
straight line winds here in S. Central TX and those winds can last
many hours, sometimes days. So far, the greenhouse hasn't flown away.
If you are concerned about high winds you can actually have someone
come in and pour a foundation with the frame in it. I still say you
should take a look for accessories to hold it down.