Old 28-04-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Coffee Plants

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jangchub wrote in
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:37:38 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/coffee.../a/chicory.htm
"... Many coffee producers offer blends with up to 30% chicory, which
cuts down on the caffeine content of your cup. But many folk enjoy a
cup of 'coffee' made entirely from ground, roasted chicory."

In the Internet, it must be so. In a magazine, must be so. Go buy
some and use it as coffee. Get back when you do.

I've listed herb books as well as sources from the internet. I've given
you the tools you need to go look at the sources yourself and read
articles written by people who have tried the coffee for themselves. What
more can I do to support a point I made?

Everyone else knows that chicory is found as either a coffee extender,
coffee substitue with other additives or as a stand alone drink. Why
bother with one person who doesn't appear to have ever looked at the
products on the shelves of a health food shop or even at the range of
products available in the beverages aisle of a supermarket?

Old 28-04-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You have a point. I did think the "in the internet, it must be so" point
was rather amusing, though, considering where we all are.
Old 28-04-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Living close to the chickory capital of the world, I must say that
chickory is nasty, more bitter than coffee, the only reason it was
proclaimed a substitute to coffee is because people were absolutely
desperate for their coffee fix. But that is only my Not So Humble
Opinion....

On Apr 27, 6:39 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"Lilah Morgan" wrote hlink.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Old 28-04-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Community Coffee is the brand down here...

On Apr 27, 7:11 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:39:22 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

wrote:
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
link.net:

Not likely that you will be able to grow coffee in Seattle and
harvest beans for your own brew.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not even in a greenhouse? Oh well. I just reminded myself in the
dandelion post that the roots make a good coffee substitute(I've
actually tried it), and I know those can grow pretty much anywhere in
the continental US. :-)

Chickory root is supposed to be a good coffee substitute but I've never
tried it.

Not a substitute, an additive to make coffee go longer. After our
first time in New Orleans many years ago, we now exclusively drink
Cafe du Monde ground coffee with chickory. Talk about your thick
coffee! It tastes like it is much stronger than it actually is. I've
been looking all over for expresso to no avail. Maybe my mom can mail
us some from New York. Down here in the hinterlands they don't sell
expresso in the grocery.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:50:52 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I've listed herb books as well as sources from the internet. I've given
you the tools you need to go look at the sources yourself and read
articles written by people who have tried the coffee for themselves. What
more can I do to support a point I made?

I never said chicory coffee was good; I said that coffee can be made from
chicory. Please try to read for comprehension instead of immediately
flying off the handle and attacking an opinion or viewpoint that differs
from your's.

You keep calling it chickory coffee. It is NOT coffee. It is
chickory drink or tea or whatever it is. It completely changes the
texture and taste of ordinary roasted coffee, so it is not as close to
the taste of coffee you insist it is.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Interesting assumption you make. I happen to food shop at Whole
Foods. Chickory is ten dollars a pound there.
Old 28-04-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

If by "down here" you mean Austin, TX, I buy my coffee in pound cans
by the case at Hong Kong Market on Research Blvd. aka 183. I pay
under four dollars a can. We've tried the Community Coffee brand and
didn't like it. They also sell vacuum bags of what they call CDM
which is actually Cafe du Monde coffee with chickory. I think I'll go
make a pot.

Old 28-04-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:

I've listed herb books as well as sources from the internet. I've
given you the tools you need to go look at the sources yourself and
read articles written by people who have tried the coffee for
themselves. What more can I do to support a point I made?

I never said chicory coffee was good; I said that coffee can be made
from chicory. Please try to read for comprehension instead of
immediately flying off the handle and attacking an opinion or
viewpoint that differs from your's.

You keep calling it chickory coffee. It is NOT coffee. It is
chickory drink or tea or whatever it is. It completely changes the
texture and taste of ordinary roasted coffee, so it is not as close to
the taste of coffee you insist it is.

Please cite where I said it was "close to the taste of coffee".

You REALLY need to work on your comprehension skills.