Old 28-04-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default What is wrong with my peach trees?

Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg

Old 28-04-2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:56:29 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg

Peach leaf curl. this batch of leaves will fall off, and another
batch will come on later in the year.

Better story here than I can tell

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r602100311.html
Old 28-04-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

spam wrote:

Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what
is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them
winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty
bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg

Peach leaf curl. this batch of leaves will fall off, and another
batch will come on later in the year.

Better story here than I can tell

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r602100311.html

Yeah, I see that. They say to spray in the fall or spring before it starts
to grow. Is there anything that I can do now, or is it too late?

Old 28-04-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:40:28 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

.. .
spam wrote:

Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what
is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them
winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty
bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg

Peach leaf curl. this batch of leaves will fall off, and another
batch will come on later in the year.

Better story here than I can tell

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r602100311.html

Yeah, I see that. They say to spray in the fall or spring before it starts
to grow. Is there anything that I can do now, or is it too late?

Just clean up the leaves that fall now, destroy them. Somewhere in my
memory it seems like you can spray now, which will kill the leaves
that are out, but it's been many years and I can't find my books.
Old 28-04-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:40:28 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

. ..
spam wrote:

[...]

I found a copper based fungicide, but it says to not use once leafs start to
grow. I have some calcium polysulfide which can be used in a dilute form
once leafs bloom. sigh...guess I'll watch and see what happens.

Old 28-04-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:40:28 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

. ..
spam wrote:

Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what
is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them
winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty
bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...e/images/DSCF8
536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...e/images/DSCF8
538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...e/images/DSCF8
536.jpg

Peach leaf curl. this batch of leaves will fall off, and another
batch will come on later in the year.

Better story here than I can tell

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r602100311.html

Yeah, I see that. They say to spray in the fall or spring before it starts
to grow. Is there anything that I can do now, or is it too late?

Just clean up the leaves that fall now, destroy them. Somewhere in my
memory it seems like you can spray now, which will kill the leaves
that are out, but it's been many years and I can't find my books.

I found a copper based fungicide, but it says to not use once leafs start to
grow. I have some calcium polysulfide which can be used in a dilute form
once leafs bloom. sigh...guess I'll watch and see what happens.

Well, as far as making a sweeping generalization from a random sample, I
can tell you I had peach leaf curl (curly leaves anyway) last year on my
dwarf peach and, had a bumper crop. Go figure. Maybe I get an exemption
for living in the land of fruits and nuts. Given up on figuring-out who
is who though.

Another warm day in Sonoma County, 82 F. Butter flies all over the
verbenas.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Old 29-04-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ook wrote:
Can some kind soul look at these pics and offer their opinion as to what is
wrong with my Peach trees, and what I can do about it? I planted them winter
before last, and last year they grew great. This year they look pretty bad,
and they are barely starting to grow:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8538.jpg
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...s/DSCF8536.jpg

Leaf curl.

You can't do anything about it during the growing
season this year. When the trees go dormant, you need
to give them three applications of dormant spray.
Old 29-04-2007, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

It is recommended that you give at least one good fungicide spray to control this
problem. Cleaning up and discarding the leaves is a good practice, as is aggresively
thinning the fruit while the problem persists, since there may not be enough leaves
left to sustain the fruit and maintain tree health.

Sherwin D.

Charles wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:40:28 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

.. .

Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

someone on the group said in the past
"The only effective treatment of peach leaf curl that I have used in
fungicide applied during dormancy. Ferbam after leaf drop or just
before buds swell. Severely infested trees both fall and late winter
applications are recommended, I also use lime and sulphur and dormant
oils for other problems but it did not suffice for peach leaf curl."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

That is the information I keep coming across. I wish I could do something
about it now - one tree looks so bad, I don't see how it can survive.

wrote in message
someone on the group said in the past
"The only effective treatment of peach leaf curl that I have used in
fungicide applied during dormancy. Ferbam after leaf drop or just
before buds swell. Severely infested trees both fall and late winter
applications are recommended, I also use lime and sulphur and dormant
oils for other problems but it did not suffice for peach leaf curl."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan