Old 21-05-2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

Default lining a whiskey barrel

Bill Rose wrote:
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:48:19 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume
it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I
want
to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial
barrel
liner. Thanks.

Bob
Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like
human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical
care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that
they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their
jobs.

Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago
aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our
economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Persephone

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition! ;-)

Bob, as I mentioned in an earlier post, tightening the hoops on the
barrels, while they are dry, will probably be sufficient to make the
barrels water tight. Once you have the tools, it takes about 5 min. When
the wood gets wet, which may take a few days, it swells and seals
itself. If that doesn't work, drop me a line or you can still buy a
liner from Myanmar if you want. What you don't pay at Walmart as a
consumer, you pay for as a tax payer.

Think globally, buy locally.

Persephone, your hot today girl.

- Bill

I'm going to try tightening the hoops, just like you said. I need to
pick thru the barrels and make sure I buy one with a good bottom. If it
still leaks after a week, I have a big roll of 6 mil plastic already; I
don't need to buy a shower curtain liner from Walmart or anybody else.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 21-05-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 23:27:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Pardon my French, but it's ****ing stupid is what it is. Twice a year, since
Wal Mart came to town, our local newspaper's been sending reporters into WM
and the two real stores with a grocery shopping list. WM has never EVER been
cheaper. The list totals out around $100. WM has never EVER been cheaper.
I've mentioned this to a couple of WM sheep in my family, and they say
"Duh...yeah whatever". To them $109.38 is a lower number than $97.23,
because WM told them so.

"****" is French?

Hey, I'm on the same page as you. People are ignorant and they prefer
to be ignorant even though evidence proves them wrong. Uh, they voted
for Bush twice...or did they? Hmmmm. Don't get me on that subject of
the stolen/appointed president.
Old 21-05-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:14:34 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

Actually, that's the ignorance of the consumer, not the fault of
Walmart prices. People are very lazy and they don't know what the
relative prices for merchandise actually are.

You are such a steaming pile. People are lucky if they have time to help
their kids with their homework much less learning to count threads for
material they can't afford. Poverty is built into the system so that
there will be cheap labor. "The Protestant Work Ethic" was designed to
suck the joy out of life and to blame the poor for their own misery.
Walmart has 300%-400% turnover in their employees so that they don't
have to pay benefits. Walmart was referring their staff to the local
emergency rooms for health care, where, of course, they pay more than
the insured. Here are people, who are willing to work and, the system
games them. It is obvious that you don't even have a nodding
relationship with humility or compassion. You are beneath contempt.

- Bill

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (not this time)

Bone up on your reading comprehension...or not.
Old 21-05-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Bill Rose wrote:

wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

Let's talk before you spend any money. There is more than one way to . .
.. uh, hold the thought. If you run into problems, give us a call.

- Bill

Old 21-05-2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume
it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I
want
to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial
barrel
liner. Thanks.

Bob

Buy a cheap shower curtain liner at WalMart.

Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like
human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical
care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that
they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their
jobs.

Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago
aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our
economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Persephone

They cost less than $4. Line
barrel and cut of excess. They're heavy enough to last several years, if
not
longer.

Not eveyone has acess to a Costco. Everyone has a WalMart. Yes, I agree,
they're pretty bad but you can find anything there for less than anywhere
else. For those of us who are retired or making a low income, they're the
place to shop.

The closest Wal*Mart here is 300 miles away. We shop at locally-owned
stores and buy our big-ticket items (TV's, winter coats, etc) used.
You can live frugally without shopping at WalMart...

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Old 21-05-2007, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:09:58 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

[...]

Nothing I do will ever change anything.

History is full of examples of one person doing something that
changed everything.

All of
America has to rise up to put an end to Walmart and that is not about
to happen any time soon.

[...]

Yeah, if they all think like you, right, it won't happen.

Old 21-05-2007, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:06:06 -0500, jangchub
wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 14:37:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like
human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical
care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that
they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their
jobs.

I assure you Costco buys merchandise from China where they pay 20
cents an hour.

Of course they do; everything is made in China now. Partly due to the
effect of squeeze artists like Walmart that force American suppliers
who would LOVE to stay here and employ Americans --
to offshore just so they won't lose their contracts with Walmart.

We *were* talking about the way Costco pays and treats their employees
(well!) as opposed to Walmart's philosophy. And did we mention
sex discrimination and forcing employees to work extra hours without
compensation, and...and...

Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago
aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our
economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Persephone

Netflix, if you belong, has a great documentary called:

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

I highly recommend it. Netflix will give a two week free trial to
anyone who wants to try it.

Old 21-05-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

wrote:

Pardon my French, but it's ****ing stupid is what it is. Twice a year,
since
Wal Mart came to town, our local newspaper's been sending reporters into
WM
and the two real stores with a grocery shopping list. WM has never EVER
been
cheaper. The list totals out around $100. WM has never EVER been cheaper.
I've mentioned this to a couple of WM sheep in my family, and they say
"Duh...yeah whatever". To them $109.38 is a lower number than $97.23,
because WM told them so.

"****" is French?

Hey, I'm on the same page as you. People are ignorant and they prefer
to be ignorant even though evidence proves them wrong. Uh, they voted
for Bush twice...or did they? Hmmmm. Don't get me on that subject of
the stolen/appointed president.

It's simple math, ya know?

Old 21-05-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jangchub"

Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as
and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

- Bill
Old 21-05-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jangchub"

Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as
and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

- Bill

What are you talking about???

Old 21-05-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:05:52 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jangchub"

Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as
and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

- Bill

No, actually. I rarely if ever get rejected. I have a new computer
and my husband set up the fake name for good reasons. It does seem
you have a social problem in that you feel using a kill file is the
answer to your ineptitude to converse with other humans.
Old 21-05-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:36:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jangchub"

Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as
and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

- Bill

What are you talking about???

He's trying to belittle me for some reason. Hahahahahahahahaha. Like
that's easy to do. I guess I'm killed from his sight. Yavo!
Old 21-05-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jangchub"

Zombies back from the dead. I killed this author as
and here it is, back from the grave. Get a lot of rejection do you?

- Bill

What are you talking about???

You'd be amazed how often I get that JoeSpareBedroom. Sorry I had to
piggy-back off of your post but I went and "kill filed"
a.k.a. . Boy, I hate doing
re-work. There is enough stupid in the world already so, I try to trim
some of it out of my life. Last time around "it" was leaving the country
because of some radio commercial. This time "it" blames the victims for
shopping at Wally World because they hope to save a few dimes to pay for
electricity or fix the car before it dies. Not everyone knows about the
book "Fast Food Nation" or has the time to watch the DVD "The High Cost
of Low Price". Those of us that do, need to bang the pots and point out
how we are getting ripped-off. Do you (I know you know JoeSpareBedroom
but since I got the soapbox, I might as well preachify a little.) really
want to wear Nikes, when you know the person making them got a couple of
dollars a day, if they are lucky? Do you really want to raise the price
of food by chasing off the Mexicans? Some of whom came to their old
country because, welfare for agri-corporations in the US of A in 2005
totaled a staggering $21,057,000,000. Would you be surprised to know
that Mexican farmers have a hard to impossible time competing against
American grown corn? Harumph!

Anyway, I've had enough vain, arrogant, stupid to last me a life-time.
Jangchub goes in my "kill file". I got more important things to **** me
off.

Sorry for the misunderstanding JoeSpareBedroom. Your one of the
good-guys in my book.

I really got to talk to my doctor about my meds. Well, that's all from
ol' alligator mouth for now.

- Bill

Affirmations for Personal Growth

1. As I let go of my feelings of guilt, I am in touch with my inner
sociopath.
2. I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels
of suspicion and paranoia.
3. I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are
someone else's fault.
4. I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise myself, unless I
want to stay employed.
5. In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
6. Having control over myself is almost as good as having control over
others.
7. My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of self-judgment.
8. I honor my personality flaws for without them I would have no
personality at all.
9. I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious,
self-righteous people around me.
10. I need not suffer in silence while I can still moan, whimper, and
complain.
11. As I learn the innermost secrets of people around me, they reward me
in many ways to keep me quiet.
12. When someone hurts me, I know that forgiveness is cheaper than a
lawsuit, but not nearly as gratifying.
13. The first step is to say nice things about myself. The second, to do
nice things for myself. The third, to find someone to buy me nice
things.
14. As I learn to trust the universe, I no longer need to carry a gun.
15. All of me is beautiful, even the ugly, stupid, and disgusting parts.
16. I am at one with my duality.
17. Blessed are the flexible, for they can tie themselves into knots.
18. Only a lack of imagination saves me from immobilizing myself with
imaginary fears.
19. I will strive to live each day as if it were my 50th birthday.
20. I honor and express all facets of my being, regardless of state and
local laws.
21. Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no
sweeter words than "I told you so!"
22. False hope is better than no hope at all.
23. A good scapegoat is almost as good as a solution.
24. Who can I blame for my problems? Just give me a minute.... I'll find
someone.
26. Why should I waste my time reliving the past when I can spend it
worrying about the future?
27. The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy
is working.
28. I am learning that criticism is not nearly as effective as sabotage.
29. Becoming aware of my character defects leads me naturally to the
next step of blaming my parents.
30. To have a successful relationship I must learn to make it look like
I'm giving as much as I'm getting.
31. I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else is willing to
learn from them.
32. Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if
he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Old 21-05-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Keep your day job. A writer you're not.

Anyway, I've had enough vain, arrogant, stupid to last me a life-time.
Jangchub goes in my "kill file". I got more important things to **** me
off.

I'm sure the killfile gives you immense feelings of power.

Sorry for the misunderstanding JoeSpareBedroom. Your one of the
good-guys in my book.

Not any more.

I really got to talk to my doctor about my meds. Well, that's all from
ol' alligator mouth for now.
- Bill

I was just going to suggest that you check your meds.

Old 21-05-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

And what brings you to this epiphany? I'm just banging on a pot. A
little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism never hurt. Don't be so terse.

Anyway, I've had enough vain, arrogant, stupid to last me a life-time.
Jangchub goes in my "kill file". I got more important things to **** me
off.

I'm sure the killfile gives you immense feelings of power.

No feeling of power. I'm just tired of the barking so, I'll shut the
window.

Sorry for the misunderstanding JoeSpareBedroom. Your one of the
good-guys in my book.

Not any more.

Sorry Joe, I'm not that fickle. You're stuck with me liking you.

I really got to talk to my doctor about my meds. Well, that's all from
ol' alligator mouth for now.
- Bill

I was just going to suggest that you check your meds.

Gotta' work on your sense of humor boy. You're to young to be that old.
If you can't indulge in a little self-deprecation once and awhile, who
can you deprecate?

- Bill

[IMG] code is On

Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Benign Vanilla Ponds 3 27-07-2004 04:06 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Bill Stock Ponds 7 23-07-2004 05:04 PM
whiskey barrel pond Sandy Ponds 7 25-06-2003 04:44 AM
Planting in whiskey barrel Guendol Gardening 1 01-06-2003 12:44 PM
planting in a whiskey barrel seepnezorf1 Gardening 3 27-05-2003 12:56 PM