Old 19-05-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

Default lining a whiskey barrel

If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells
up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a
commercial barrel liner. Thanks.

Bob
Old 19-05-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I assume
it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I want
to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial barrel
liner. Thanks.

Bob

It'll work until it doesn't, and that moment cannot be predicted. But, since
you say you're cheap, you have alternative.

Old 20-05-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells
up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a
commercial barrel liner. Thanks.

Bob

Buy half-barrel. Turn it over so that the closed end is in the air. Use
flat ended tool like a file to hammer hoops down tight. Set hoops in
place with short nails. Turn half-barrel over, open end up. Splash
interior and fill with water. Half barrel will leak. Re-fill as needed.
Repeat for 4-5 days or until leaking stops. If leaks are small, insert
wooden tooth pick into crack and hammer in. If leak is large, get a
liner.

Good luck.

- Bill

Old 20-05-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:33:08 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells
up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a
commercial barrel liner. Thanks.

Bob

I had a half wiskey barrel now for five years and it swells and does
not leak at all. This year I have two ponds for my lotus and
waterlillies so I have the wiskey barrel used for a nice container
planting using phormium, variegated vinca minor, esperanza and
variegated morning glories. I'll take photos when it's filled in.
Old 20-05-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

Just be very chosey when you pick out the barrel half. snug up hoops
and fill with water., may leak for a day or two but it will eventually
stop. I have three halfs so far that hold water as good as a liner
does..We put aquatic flowers in them the first year or two as the
smell was a bit hard to try and remove, but now they also hold fish
without a problem.

-------

Old 20-05-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I assume
it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I want
to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial barrel
liner. Thanks.

Bob

Buy a cheap shower curtain liner at WalMart. They cost less than $4. Line
barrel and cut of excess. They're heavy enough to last several years, if not
longer.

Old 20-05-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 11:48:19 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I assume
it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells up. I want
to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial barrel
liner. Thanks.

Bob

Buy a cheap shower curtain liner at WalMart.

Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like
human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical
care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that
they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their
jobs.

Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago
aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our
economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Persephone

Old 20-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

Not eveyone has acess to a Costco. Everyone has a WalMart. Yes, I agree,
they're pretty bad but you can find anything there for less than anywhere
else. For those of us who are retired or making a low income, they're the
place to shop.

Old 20-05-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is that people believe what you just said is true for
everything. Here (Rochester NY), their groceries are NOT cheaper than at the
two real supermarkets. True believers have a hard time with this.

Old 21-05-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 14:37:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Or maybe some store, like maybe Costco, that treats their staff like
human beings, and doesn't throw them on the taxpayers for medical
care. And does not force their suppliers to cut prices so far that
they, in turn, are forced to go offshore, costing more Americans their
jobs.

I assure you Costco buys merchandise from China where they pay 20
cents an hour.

Frontline -- the best program on TV for my money -- a few months ago
aired a thorough examination of Walmart's ripple effect on our
economy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/

Persephone

Netflix, if you belong, has a great documentary called:

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

I highly recommend it. Netflix will give a two week free trial to
anyone who wants to try it.

Old 21-05-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:14:03 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

The problem is that people believe what you just said is true for
everything. Here (Rochester NY), their groceries are NOT cheaper than at the
two real supermarkets. True believers have a hard time with this.

Actually, that's the ignorance of the consumer, not the fault of
Walmart prices. People are very lazy and they don't know what the
relative prices for merchandise actually are.

I've gone into Macy's or Dillards at the end of a season and bought
beautiful linen shirts, pants, 400 thread count sheets, etc. all very,
very inexpensively. Probably less than Walmart and twice the quality.
Even Kohl's is a good alternative to Walmart. I shop Walmart because
it's convenient. Nothing I do will ever change anything. All of
America has to rise up to put an end to Walmart and that is not about
to happen any time soon.
Old 21-05-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

wrote:

The problem is that people believe what you just said is true for
everything. Here (Rochester NY), their groceries are NOT cheaper than at
the
two real supermarkets. True believers have a hard time with this.

Actually, that's the ignorance of the consumer, not the fault of
Walmart prices. People are very lazy and they don't know what the
relative prices for merchandise actually are.

I've gone into Macy's or Dillards at the end of a season and bought
beautiful linen shirts, pants, 400 thread count sheets, etc. all very,
very inexpensively. Probably less than Walmart and twice the quality.
Even Kohl's is a good alternative to Walmart. I shop Walmart because
it's convenient. Nothing I do will ever change anything. All of
America has to rise up to put an end to Walmart and that is not about
to happen any time soon.

Pardon my French, but it's ****ing stupid is what it is. Twice a year, since
Wal Mart came to town, our local newspaper's been sending reporters into WM
and the two real stores with a grocery shopping list. WM has never EVER been
cheaper. The list totals out around $100. WM has never EVER been cheaper.
I've mentioned this to a couple of WM sheep in my family, and they say
"Duh...yeah whatever". To them $109.38 is a lower number than $97.23,
because WM told them so.

Old 21-05-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

Bob, as I mentioned in an earlier post, tightening the hoops on the
barrels, while they are dry, will probably be sufficient to make the
barrels water tight. Once you have the tools, it takes about 5 min. When
the wood gets wet, which may take a few days, it swells and seals
itself. If that doesn't work, drop me a line or you can still buy a
liner from Myanmar if you want. What you don't pay at Walmart as a
consumer, you pay for as a tax payer.

Think globally, buy locally.

Persephone, your hot today girl.

- Bill

Old 21-05-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

Shopping Wally World for food is a crap shoot. Its not uncommn for lts
of folks to place refridgerated grocery items in a cart play around
the store for an hour or two and then slip it back on a shelf
elsewhere and let the clerks find it, or go back and put t in the
refer sectin and let John Q. Public buy it.....It is very common
espeically where yu have a large influx of so called minority foks
around........or old folks.and yes even middle or upper class other
folks.......not saying it doe snot happen in other grocery stores but
its prevalent in Wally World for sure.........

-------
Old 21-05-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

Actually, that's the ignorance of the consumer, not the fault of
Walmart prices. People are very lazy and they don't know what the
relative prices for merchandise actually are.

You are such a steaming pile. People are lucky if they have time to help
their kids with their homework much less learning to count threads for
material they can't afford. Poverty is built into the system so that
there will be cheap labor. "The Protestant Work Ethic" was designed to
suck the joy out of life and to blame the poor for their own misery.
Walmart has 300%-400% turnover in their employees so that they don't
have to pay benefits. Walmart was referring their staff to the local
emergency rooms for health care, where, of course, they pay more than
the insured. Here are people, who are willing to work and, the system
games them. It is obvious that you don't even have a nodding
relationship with humility or compassion. You are beneath contempt.

- Bill

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (not this time)

[IMG] code is On

Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Benign Vanilla Ponds 3 27-07-2004 04:06 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Bill Stock Ponds 7 23-07-2004 05:04 PM
whiskey barrel pond Sandy Ponds 7 25-06-2003 04:44 AM
Planting in whiskey barrel Guendol Gardening 1 01-06-2003 12:44 PM
planting in a whiskey barrel seepnezorf1 Gardening 3 27-05-2003 12:56 PM