Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Disaster or Nightmare, Whatever.

I would like to take some good suggestions/advices here because I
guess the garden people are all here.

I am not a garden person myself, I hate lawn care. I did some crazy
things, and probably ruined my backyard, (which is about 33'x33') --
took away all the grass, lay down filters, and pave the yard with 4"
G.A., and on top of the compacted G.A., I put 2" pebbles. I still
leave 3 8'x10'-sqared bare-earth areas, now I am planting some trees
and peony on them. And my house is very close to my neighbors, even
the smallest truck can not pass to the backyard, I did all the above
stuffs with a small cart. If I had known the drawbacks, I would not
have ever done so.

I did these last year, thought it could stop the weeds, but I started
seeing the weeds soon. Now it is the second year, and now more weeds
are poping up the pebbles. Currently I spray salt on the weeds, in
order to kill them.

What would be an easy way to prevent the weeds on the pebbles?

Also if I do not have to remove all the pebble and GA, what can I do
to improve the yard? I wish I could have some simple solution, say how
about put concrete on the yard? I know this is some kind of madness.
But any good ideas?

Thanks a millions.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:27:39 -0700, wrote:

I would like to take some good suggestions/advices here because I
guess the garden people are all here.

I am not a garden person myself, I hate lawn care. I did some crazy
things, and probably ruined my backyard, (which is about 33'x33') --
took away all the grass, lay down filters, and pave the yard with 4"
G.A., and on top of the compacted G.A., I put 2" pebbles. I still
leave 3 8'x10'-sqared bare-earth areas, now I am planting some trees
and peony on them. And my house is very close to my neighbors, even
the smallest truck can not pass to the backyard, I did all the above
stuffs with a small cart. If I had known the drawbacks, I would not
have ever done so.

Amen on the lawn care hatred.....that isn't gardening.

I hate lawn care too, waste of fuel, bad juju for the environment, etc.

What is G.A.?

I did these last year, thought it could stop the weeds, but I started
seeing the weeds soon. Now it is the second year, and now more weeds
are poping up the pebbles. Currently I spray salt on the weeds, in
order to kill them.

salt definitely kills weeds,,,,,what about a wider application. This
may sound smarty, it's not, but just keep pulling and salting them.
It is a meditational thing, does help one relax and ease stress.

What would be an easy way to prevent the weeds on the pebbles?

Also if I do not have to remove all the pebble and GA, what can I do
to improve the yard? I wish I could have some simple solution, say how
about put concrete on the yard? I know this is some kind of madness.
But any good ideas?\

Concrete is expensive.......really expensive if you can't get a truck
close. Plus it is really ugly....I know. It has all the beauty and
warmth of ........ahhh, never mind,,,,,it's ugly.

Thanks a millions.

Think zen garden.

And ignore the chemical-heads, they want to poison all of us.

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie
Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:09:05 -0500, Charlie wrote:

[...]

And let me disagree. Salt is a poison, just not a very effective one.
Garden shops sell stuff like soil sterilants, with chlorates and
borates. A problem with these, and salt as well, is that they don't
stay where we put them, they go off to poison the water table.

I'd look into some of the soap based products, Safer is a good brand,
in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie

That was the only line from that song I actually liked. Even if it didn't
seem to make sense with the rest of the song. I've seen beautiful land
turned into a strip mall before, and I found it disgusting. Fred Meyer's
sucks anyways.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 05:23:29 GMT, Charles
wrote:

[...]

Hmmmmm....let's see...I assumed the area had a high saline content
......like Bonneville...yeah that's it! (somebody help me out here!)

Fine.

Must of been that delicious bacon that the Lovely just fixed.....I
*know* that's pretty effectively killin' me. Addled my brain.

Thanks Charles
Charles, er, Charlie

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 05:27:36 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
.. .

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie

That was the only line from that song I actually liked. Even if it didn't
seem to make sense with the rest of the song. I've seen beautiful land
turned into a strip mall before, and I found it disgusting. Fred Meyer's
sucks anyways.

You're one of the good ones, Lilah.

sweet dreams, my dear.

I'm off to bed for my Sleeping Beauty awaits me.

Care
Charlie
Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/4/07 1:27 AM, in article
. net, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot"

Charlie

That was the only line from that song I actually liked. Even if it didn't
seem to make sense with the rest of the song. I've seen beautiful land
turned into a strip mall before, and I found it disgusting. Fred Meyer's
sucks anyways.

What's a Fred Meyer's?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 4, 1:09 am, Charlie wrote:
[...]

G.A. is the crushed stones, they call it gravels, if I spell it
correctly.

I know people here are laughing at what I have done so far. Please if
someone can give some good advice. I am desperately looking for some
good hints.

Do I have to remove all the pebble and G.A. out of the yard? And put
back soil and sod? That could be an impossible task so far. -- Is
there any other solutions?

What is a "zen" garden in your mind? Is that going to be good? I will
have to need some ideas.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:57:36 -0700, wrote:

G.A. is the crushed stones, they call it gravels, if I spell it
correctly.

Right

I know people here are laughing at what I have done so far. Please if
someone can give some good advice. I am desperately looking for some
good hints.

Do I have to remove all the pebble and G.A. out of the yard? And put
back soil and sod? That could be an impossible task so far. -- Is
there any other solutions?

What is a "zen" garden in your mind? Is that going to be good? I will
have to need some ideas.

http://www.phototravels.net/photo-gu...e-gardens.html

Google "zen rock garden".

In my opinion, it is very good.

In my opinion too.

Look for"A Japanese touch for your garden".

ISBN 0-87011-391-7

If you got money or know how to make things and perhaps like simple
things like driftwood.

Look for " A Japanese touch for your home".

ISBD 4-7700-1015-X

Then there is "The art of Setting Stones".

ISBD 1-880656-70-1

"Essays for the philosophical gardener (Or the gardening philosopher )
that revel the beauty and meaning of traditional Japanese gardens."
From the back cover but I'd rather weed now and propagate. Still in
winter the garden thru books calls even with snow and deciduous hollies
in glory. Heart stuff nags me.

And then there is my first hook into "Japanese Gardens"

From the Time Life Encylopedia of Gardening

ISBD 0-8094-2631-5

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
wrote:

What is a "zen" garden in your mind? Is that going to be good? I will
have to need some ideas.

I think what bro' Charlie be having in mind is sort of something like
this
http://www.phototravels.net/japan/ph...ck-gardens.htm

You don't have to take the philosophy behind it but,
I couldn't hurt. Poetry is one of the deepest ways to learn. Especially
in a toxic world.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 3, 9:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the most sane thing would be a torch attached to a grill sized
bottle of to flame the weed seedlings periodically.
Seeds will come in on the wind and in the birds and soil sterrilants
are less than eco friendly.
You could get yourself a nice sized scrap of black rubber roofing/
pond liner and move it over areas you want dead during the heat of the
day.

Forget a Japanese garden as they require meticulous care and
maintainance to not look foolish and that doesn't sound like it fits
your lifestyle .

Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 3, 9:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

I suggest using vinegar on your weeds. You can read about ti he
http://raised-garden-bed.com/chapt2.html

Some hardware stores sell concentrated vinegar in contrast to the
diluted found at the food market.

Good luck,
Jay

Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

What's a Fred Meyer's?

It's a department(chain) that likes to pave over beautiful fertile land and
put up one of its ugly stores.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/4/07 6:40 PM, in article
. net, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

What's a Fred Meyer's?

It's a department(chain) that likes to pave over beautiful fertile land and
put up one of its ugly stores.

Oh - like Walmart

[IMG] code is On

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
leylandii nightmare Richard United Kingdom 22 15-07-2003 07:54 PM
Weekend nightmare Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-04-2003 06:44 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM