Old 14-06-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What the heck is this monster?

A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while on a
bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637
Old 15-06-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while on a
bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

I doubt it's cactus... I'd say it's a bromeliad. Could even be a
doctored picture. I don't feel like spending my time searching right
now but I found this: http://www.mrbig.com/cpg/displayimag...lbum=73&pos=18

Old 15-06-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while on a
bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

Its a century plant, or Maguey.
--
Grandpa

Old 15-06-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Grandpa wrote in news:T_jci.7901$1o.5514@trnddc01:

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while
on a bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

Its a century plant, or Maguey.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored photo.

Old 15-06-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while
on a bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

Its a century plant, or Maguey.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored photo.

Unfortunately, this form of agave will die after flowering. It does
leave what are called pups, which can be cut from the mother plant and
replanted after the mother plant is removed.
Old 15-06-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Here are a few more photos. One has a human in it for scale:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504651
Old 15-06-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

Here are a few more photos. One has a human in it for scale:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504651

Ayup, like the first picture says, it's a Bit Mutha Cactus! G

I like the way they clipped the ends off so pedestrians didn't impale
themselves on it, good thinking! ;-

(and yes, I realize it's an agave, but when I saw that caption I LOLd!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 15-06-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday while on a
bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

I doubt it's cactus... I'd say it's a bromeliad. Could even be a
doctored picture. I don't feel like spending my time searching right
now but I found this:
http://www.mrbig.com/cpg/displayimag...lbum=73&pos=18

Don't mind him. He's a pervert. Tequila on the hoof,
huh?

- Billy
Old 15-06-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
:

FragileWarrior dropped this turd
: in rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday
while on a bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

Its a century plant, or Maguey.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored
photo.

I saw it in the other group. Awesome thing isn't it?

Michael

It's really cool. I want one. But I want one that eats little kids.

Old 15-06-2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday
while on a bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637
Its a century plant, or Maguey.
Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored
photo.

I saw it in the other group. Awesome thing isn't it?

Michael

It's really cool. I want one. But I want one that eats little kids.

Then get two or three, and space them about 10 feet apart. They are
a southwest desert plant (notice the Arizona license plate?). If you
get them from the same mother plant, they usually bloom the same
year. That makes an impressive display.
--
Grandpa

Old 15-06-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
A friend posted this on another newsgroup. He saw it yesterday
while on a bike ride. This is scary.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=504637

Its a century plant, or Maguey.

Thanks, I'll pass the info along. (And, no, it's not a doctored
photo.

I saw it in the other group. Awesome thing isn't it?

Michael

It's really cool. I want one. But I want one that eats little kids.

We had some in Hawaii that would. Very sharp points, and recurved
spikes along the edges of the leaves. Not something to get tangled up
in.
Old 15-06-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:47:07 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Then get two or three, and space them about 10 feet apart. They are
a southwest desert plant (notice the Arizona license plate?). If you
get them from the same mother plant, they usually bloom the same
year. That makes an impressive display.

I have a bunch of these and they are starting to grow and do their
thing now. I got them all from the same mother, so will have that
awesome display.
Old 15-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:47:07 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Then get two or three, and space them about 10 feet apart. They are
a southwest desert plant (notice the Arizona license plate?). If you
get them from the same mother plant, they usually bloom the same
year. That makes an impressive display.

I have a bunch of these and they are starting to grow and do their
thing now. I got them all from the same mother, so will have that
awesome display.

envy Please post some pictures when they bloom. Mine are going to
be at least a decade away.
--
Grandpa