Old 15-06-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default attack of the bunnies

We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Old 15-06-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
Tater wrote:

We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Sprinkle some dried blood on your plants. Expensive stuff though.
Red pepper may work and is cheaper.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 15-06-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tater" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Are they mostly eating flowers, vegetables, or what? If vegetables, which
ones?

Old 16-06-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:11:49 -0700, Tater wrote:

We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Study up on rabbits a bit, and they are not so likeable.

Rabbits *may* be cute, but they are The Enemy, as much as the bug
hoard.

Rabbits harbor tapeworms, fleas, and tularemia, caused by a bacterium,
Francisella tularensis, transmitted to humans by insects or ticks.

Wild rabbits are not your friends, nor your pet's friends, nor your
gardens friends.

And they breed like, well, rabbits.

They destroy young trees, shrubs, infest your yard and garden with
fleas, may give your cat, or dog, tapeworms and fleas when your cat, or
dog, catches and eats them, which can then be transmitted to you.

I have my cat on a regular routine of Droncil to eliminate the damn
parasites he gets from them. I keep a Gamo handy to eliminate the ones
he misses, or get too big for him to handle.

Rabbits are an important link in the food chain, but not in your yard
and garden.

Nature is tough, you gotta be as well.

Charlie

Reminds me of an article I just read about reintroducing large predators
buck into the lower 48. Seems with out them, the ecology gets all wacked
and you end up with population booms and collapses. Maybe we run you out
some wolves Charlie;-)

- Billy

Old 16-06-2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:04:12 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Gawd...shades of Jack London as a child...scared the bejeebers outta
me, those tales did......yet check out the number of wolf attacks on
humans.......negligible.

Anyhoo.....Please run us out some.

Whitetails are a bad problem here. The MoDNR, in it's great wisdom,
re-intoduced them and managed the re-population several decades ago.
It was a grand success. Your auto insurance rates probably reflect
this. THe damn things are everywhere... lots of them.....Been called
horned urban rats by some. I drove thru KC last year and had to avoid
a dozen on eight lanes of 435. Mixups with vehicles are as common as
nail fungus.

The only predators to control them are us. The number of deer allowed
for harvest increases drastically every year. You can basically
harvest all you want for a small fee for each permit. Yet they still
increase and cause untold vehicular and crop/garden damage.

Everytime we humans get involved in the balance of things, it seems to
go to shit.

"Better Living Through Chemistry", my ass. Extrapolate that to other
things to get my point, folks.

Aside: Ya' never know when someone is gonna come knockin' and throw a
wooden shoe in the works. Maybe tomorrow nite will work for a romantic
interlude.

Drinks are still on, and I am loose online.

Rabbits and deer may be cute, but Walt ruined the reality of it.

Charlie

The works at least is screwed. Walt has ruined reality. And your cup is
half full. All in all, it's not that bad. It's a wonderful life ain't
it? Could be a world of misery worse, like the end of the world or a
half empty bed.

a ta sante,
- Billy
Old 16-06-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any
good deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Get a dog - my dogs keep the animals, including the geese, away from
everything - the only had thing is that they eat the green tomato's
before they ripen.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Our horse works well in that department. His fence runs right up the
sides of the garden. Anything gets near "his territory", he behaves
like a guard dog - nothing stands a chance!

My horse doesn't care. We were riding in the pasture when we spooked a
rabbit and the stupid thing ran right into his leg. I thought he was
going to spook and I was going to go flying but, no, he never even batted
an eye. He likes to go over and look at the skunks that wander through
the pasture occasionally, too. He's VERY friendly.

Oh, Romeo is people and dog friendly - he just loves to play - if he sees
something running or hopping thru his pasture (or near it), the chase
begins. He's really just playing - but he can do some damage! Really
effective at controlling garden "pests". The other 9 horses don't care or
pay the smaller creatures any mind.

Old 16-06-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
We have some rabbits eating some of the plants in our garden. any good
deternts?

we like the bunnies, and prefer them to be here, and eat somethign
besides our garden. it's not like there isnt 1000 other plants out
there for them

Get a dog - my dogs keep the animals, including the geese, away from
everything - the only had thing is that they eat the green tomato's
before they ripen.
Leythos

But, then he'll have a dog. That's just trading one problem for another.

You could look at it that way, or you could look at it as a great thing.

I've had Shepard's or huskies all my life, best dang animals I've ever
worked with and owned (like they really let you own them). I had a real
wolf for several years, that was the best years in my life.

My huskies will snatch a bird out of the air if they get close to the
plants, they have taken 6 geese in the last few years - they would fly
in to get the plants and never make it out - funny thing is the heads
are missing and no other damage to the birds.

The dogs, until they started eating the green tomato's

Old 16-06-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
[...]

I see people walking dogs here when it's 3 degrees and snow's blowing
sideways, or, constantly shoveling snow off the lawn to make a space for the
dog to crap, and I think........you don't wanna know.

Old 16-06-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.boats,alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
[...]

Tell them about your anti freeze in a bowl trick.

Old 16-06-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,

says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
[...]

My dogs crap on top the snow, it melts down, then freezes - as the days
progress it's easy to pickup as a chunk, almost like a (never mind). I
have a hard time getting the huskies in out of the cold, doesn't matter
if it's snow, sleet, etc....

What I hate is when people let their dogs loose or let them crap in my
front yard without cleaning it up.

Old 16-06-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,

says...
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
[...]

Here's one you'll love: About 6 weeks ago, I'm working in the yard and some
putz with a pistol target dog (those little shits that nobody likes) comes
along, lets the dog stop on my lawn, and I see that he's got nothing with
him to clean it up. I smiled and said "Excuse me. Would you please pick that
up?" His answer: "No, I won't". I told him that was illegal (which it is).
He gave me the usual dog criminal bullshit about how the first so many feet
of property belongs to the town (which it does not).

That problem got solved very quickly and creatively. He doesn't even come
down this street any more.

[IMG] code is On

Bunnies Jo North Carolina 6 02-05-2006 01:35 AM
Bunnies Not So Cute Anymore Key Bored Gardening 6 18-08-2004 04:47 PM
Bunnies LeeAnne Gardening 15 29-05-2004 04:02 AM
Bunnies LeeAnne Gardening 0 08-03-2004 04:48 PM
Bunnies and raised beds rudy Gardening 8 18-06-2003 05:32 AM