Old 14-07-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default pools - slightly off topic

jangchub wrote:

Sorry, there is no excuse for this. I don't tip toe around and I also
don't apologize for it. It is a BLOW UP POOL. I have a fifty foot
long pool and don't have this much trouble.

and it takes how long to drain and clean and re-fill?? oh, yeah, you
must use chemicals then huh?

just because it is inflatable doesn't mean that it is something easy to
do everyday. personally, i didn't know that my post was causing so much
up-roar as you put it. i simply asked if anyone knew of anything i
could use to keep from having to re-fill it everyday. we are in a
drought and trying to preserve water. we are now 13+ inches below. i
make my own household cleaners, so i thought maybe someone on here knew
of something that was non-chemical that i could use. my son has severe
eczema, and i am careful what i use around him. he cannot play in
"bigger" pools that require chemicals because of the severity of his
skin condition. besides the drought, i have a very busy home-based
lifestyle, which sometimes prevents me from being able to clean the pool
right away. while it may be inflatable, it is not a very small pool. it
takes time to deflate and re-inflate. add to that the non-existence of
an air pump or air compressor to our household. so, in short, i was
looking a way to simplify the task, also. i have had several replies
(is that what you were calling up-roar??), and to be nice, i like to
reply back. my reply to Janet was simple enough - she knows what it is
like with kids with eczema, she has given me a few tips in the past on
this. i also took Charlie's advice to recycle the water by using it on
the garden, which in short helps conserve the water we have.

however, i will apologize that my posts (and it's subsequent posts) have
offended you. for that i am truly sorry.............
Old 14-07-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:20:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
"cactusgirl" wrote:

some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool.
I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to
add chlorox bleach to his play water..........

It's the same thing they add to our drinking water except it is below
sensory threshold.

Some of us filter it out after it has done it's duty.

Even below sensory threshold, which is not always true in the case of
drinking water, I don't drink it. There are some theories and articles
floating about that claim dermal absorption of chlorine is a not good
thing, even at low levels.

Thus having said this, hypochlorites are good disinfectants and degrade
rapidly and are good to keep on hand, both in liquid (sodium) and
granular (calcium) form in case of emergencies.

Charlie

You talking charcole filters Charlie?
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 14-07-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

rachael simpson wrote:

dummy needs help again...........lol

my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep.

Dummy is right.

Your son is much too young to be left with that pool unsupervised... a
child can drown in less than 2 inches of water. Get rid of that pool
now... before you wish you did. Your child will have more fun cooling
off with a small lawn sprinkler, the water will be clean and at the
same time it'll water your lawn... and no one has been known to drown
from a lawn sprinkler.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/fir...er_safety.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/nsn/inflatable.pdf

Old 14-07-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 14, 4:34 pm, Sheldon wrote:
rachael simpson wrote:

dummy needs help again...........lol

my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep.

Dummy is right.

Your son is much too young to be left with that pool unsupervised... a
child can drown in less than 2 inches of water. Get rid of that pool
now... before you wish you did. Your child will have more fun cooling
off with a small lawn sprinkler, the water will be clean and at the
same time it'll water your lawn... and no one has been known to drown
from a lawn sprinkler.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/fir...er_safety.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/nsn/inflatable.pdf

trust me........wyatt is well supervised. the pool is in the garden
area. i am never more than 10 feet away from it. as a trained nurse
and former lifeguard, i know what i am doing............and he plays
in the sprinkler too, when i have it running in the garden!

Old 14-07-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

rachael simpson wrote:

[...]

If you're gardening you're not watching.

Old 14-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

jangchub wrote:

[...]

Good idea!

I just bought one of these. $49 Set the pressure and done. Does 80
Lbs on my bike or 35 Lb on a car tire.

Bill who gave one of his sons his old hand pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-A...dp/B000IE0YIQ/
ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9391882-1140908?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1184445955&sr=8-1

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/38n8ks

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 14-07-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:24:30 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

jangchub wrote:

[...]

I am not offended, but if your child has a skin condition what could
you possibly be thinking allowing him in a pool with algae? Did you
know algae is a pathogen vector for several serious problems to the
skin? How big can an inflatable pool be?

And yes, of course I use chemicals in my in ground pool, but it is
very limited and we keep chlorine to 3ppm. I guess I'm tired of
hearing excuses. If your child has skin problems, a blow up pool may
not be the ideal situation for the child. Get sprinklers. Oh wait,
your water from the hose, if city water, has hundreds of chemicals in
it. Just be careful with algae.
Old 14-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Concerning kids with eczema.

http://206.188.28.100/search?site=my...lection&pro x
ystylesheet=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&q=ecze ma&x=0&y=0

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/25ktgz

In our family 50 years ago it was a shot of cod liver oil washed down
with milk. At the same time I drank some black stuff advertised on Ted
Mack which I have forgotten the name of for mental health reasons.
Nasty! Must be good if tastes bad Right ).

Anyway Dr Weil offers some nutrition advice perhaps worth a ganger.

Best

Bill 5 kids youngest 22.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 14-07-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 14, 5:28 pm, jangchub wrote:

I am not offended, but if your child has a skin condition what could
you possibly be thinking allowing him in a pool with algae? Did you
know algae is a pathogen vector for several serious problems to the
skin? How big can an inflatable pool be?

ok, so that's it. i was kinda joking with charlie about playing in
the algae..........sorry if that didn't come across too clear.

the pool is an animal park playground. it's exact measurements are
93in L x 83 in W x 14.5inH. I don't fill it full. it has a main pool
and a wading pool. the main pool area holds 71 gallons and the wading
pool holds 16 gallons. there are little holes in all corners to let
over-flow out. it also has an inflatable slide and a palm tree water
sprayer. so that's a lot of air! especially when using my own air to
blow the thing up.........

I guess I'm tired of hearing excuses.

wasn't trying to make excuses..........

Old 14-07-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://206.188.28.100/search?site=my...my_collection&...
ystylesheet=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&q=ecze ma&x=0&y=0

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/25ktgz

In our family 50 years ago it was a shot of cod liver oil washed down
with milk. At the same time I drank some black stuff advertised on Ted
Mack which I have forgotten the name of for mental health reasons.
Nasty! Must be good if tastes bad Right ).

Anyway Dr Weil offers some nutrition advice perhaps worth a ganger.

Best

Bill 5 kids youngest 22.

thanks, have checked out his site before for this as well as other
things!
rae

Old 15-07-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
Must be the heat and the damned politicians.......this thread got
grumpy in a hurry! ;-)

Ahhhhhh........another fine day on The Usenet.

Charlie

grumpy?? where??? he was on tv last night...........(wyatt was watching
"snow white")

you could blame it on the heat i guess........
Old 15-07-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

Concerning kids with eczema.

http://206.188.28.100/search?site=my...lection&pro x
ystylesheet=my_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&q=ecze ma&x=0&y=0

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/25ktgz

In our family 50 years ago it was a shot of cod liver oil washed down
with milk. At the same time I drank some black stuff advertised on Ted
Mack which I have forgotten the name of for mental health reasons.
Nasty! Must be good if tastes bad Right ).

Anyway Dr Weil offers some nutrition advice perhaps worth a ganger.

Best

Bill 5 kids youngest 22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geritol

Yuck!!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 15-07-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:20:51 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
"cactusgirl" wrote:

some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool.
I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to
add chlorox bleach to his play water..........

It's the same thing they add to our drinking water except it is below
sensory threshold.

My pool has 3ppm and my tap water has 5ppm of chloramine...which is
harder to detect because it doesn't have a harsh smell.
Old 15-07-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

Maybe I'll go bite Sherwin later, after a bit of study and a few more
cold ones. Did I mention I am hot and grumpy?

Charlie

Just stay away from the water, ya know what fish do in it.