Old 13-07-2007, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default pools - slightly off topic

hey y'all,

dummy needs help again...........lol

my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was
wondering this:

is there anything i can add to the water (besides chlorox) to keep the
mildew and algae from building up in it? i need something that will be
gentle to his skin. currently, i am draining the pool and cleaning it,
then filling it back up again the next time i need to work in the
garden. with the drought, i need to cut it back on water use. does
anyone have any suggestions on what i can use to let the water last a
few days before i need to drain and clean again?

thanks,
rae
Old 13-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

hey y'all,

dummy needs help again...........lol

my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i
work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was
wondering this:

is there anything i can add to the water (besides chlorox) to keep the
mildew and algae from building up in it? i need something that will be
gentle to his skin. currently, i am draining the pool and cleaning it,
then filling it back up again the next time i need to work in the
garden. with the drought, i need to cut it back on water use. does
anyone have any suggestions on what i can use to let the water last a
few days before i need to drain and clean again?

thanks,
rae

You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and
nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.

You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either.
Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is
effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And
filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is
not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.

Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.

Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that
way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)

Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants
and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're
not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.

If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates
encourage and feed algae.

Or, let him enjoy with algae. I remember swimming in farm ponds and
horse tanks when a kid and a little algae was ok. Good hose off after!
;-)

http://www.wikihow.com/Eliminate-and...-Swimming-Pool

Charlie

A pool guy can probably help you. A small amount of citric acid (I can't
remember the name of the acid that they use in pools) will make the Cl2
more effective. Also as Charlie said, if you could make a pool cover,
like an ol' tarp, for when the pool isn't being used.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 13-07-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

snip
You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and
nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.

You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either.
Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is
effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And
filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is
not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.

no deeper than the pool is, i would hate to have to use stuff like that

Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.

the dog thinks the current blue tarp is his blanket - keeps running off
with it.........

Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that
way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)

hadn't thought about that. romeo (the horse here at the house) has a
barrel that he drinks out of - normally i run the water hose to it, but
might try something different - skip to next comment

Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants
and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're
not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.

no higher than the pool is, that would be a bit of running back and
forth with a cup and bucket! lol, might could make a new game out of
that with wyatt.

If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates
encourage and feed algae.

yep, on well water - don't know anything else about it........don't even
know that it's ever been tested.

Old 13-07-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:

A pool guy can probably help you. A small amount of citric acid (I can't
remember the name of the acid that they use in pools) will make the Cl2
more effective. Also as Charlie said, if you could make a pool cover,
like an ol' tarp, for when the pool isn't being used.

ahhh, something to find out about............the citric that is.
Old 13-07-2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:

Citric Acid? Hmmmm. Cyanuric acid is what is used to maintain and
slow chlorine degradation in the baggie pool things we have.

Once it is at proper levels, it remains all season. I asssume, being
no chemist, that citric acid would be similiar, and safer?

Charlie

any chemists here?? chemistry wasn't my strong point.......

Old 13-07-2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:06:58 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

A pool guy can probably help you. A small amount of citric acid (I can't
remember the name of the acid that they use in pools) will make the Cl2
more effective. Also as Charlie said, if you could make a pool cover,
like an ol' tarp, for when the pool isn't being used.

Citric Acid? Hmmmm. Cyanuric acid is what is used to maintain and
slow chlorine degradation in the baggie pool things we have.

Once it is at proper levels, it remains all season. I asssume, being
no chemist, that citric acid would be similiar, and safer?

Charlie

Too sleepy to look it up right now. Go with cyanuric. But if you have
wine stains on your hands, or want to find where the cuts are on your
hands, citric is the stuff. But I'm afraid it is very degradable, so
like I said, go with the cyanuric.

Old 14-07-2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Those are pretty harmless. Water attracts rats which are more likely
disease vectors. I'd be more wary about Weils Disease/leptospirosis,
which is spread to humans via rat pee in water .

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-weils-disease.htm

Our toddlers enjoyed a baby-bath of water to play in/with in the
garden, that's a small enough water volume to just fill with fresh
every time he's going to play, and empty after.

Incidentally after an exceptionally mild winter I'm seeing more rats
than usual here, even in the garden in broad daylight. So far we've
caught just one in the trap.

Janet

no sign of rats around here, got plenty of possum though! lol
what i forgot to mention in the original post is that the pool is
inflatable. in order to remove every trace of the water, i have to
deflate and then re-inflate after it's dry. while i know that some
algae won't really hurt him, it looks really ugly in the pool like that.
besides, if algae is present, i can't help but wonder what other
bacteria might be present...............

while wyatt's pool doesn't hold a lot of water, it does hold more than i
like to replenish every day. we used the old water from today's play
to water the garden with. made a little game out of it with wyatt.
(who could get the most water to the garden the quickest.) might keep
doing that.

some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool.
I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to
add chlorox bleach to his play water..........

rae

ps: excuse typing skills again.......holding baby
Old 14-07-2007, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Try using a chlorine alternative called Baquacil. It's sold at most pool
and spa stores. No irritation or odor. Worked great in our swimming pool
and spa.

Bioguard makes a similar product called "SoftSwim," which is also a chlorine
alternative.
Here's a link for the Bioguard products:

http://www.poolmart.com/productlistc...EM&category=75

Hope this helps.
CactusGirl

Old 14-07-2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cactusgirl" wrote:

some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool.
I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to
add chlorox bleach to his play water..........

It's the same thing they add to our drinking water except it is below
sensory threshold.

Old 14-07-2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

thanks, i'll check it out.
rae
Old 14-07-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

leaving water in it also attracts mosquitoes, which is certainly not a
good thing at all. it needs to be covered to keep mosquitoes, rats,
etc out. teach the dog to leave it alone.
Ingrid

Old 14-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:53:42 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

no sign of rats around here, got plenty of possum though! lol
what i forgot to mention in the original post is that the pool is
inflatable. in order to remove every trace of the water, i have to
deflate and then re-inflate after it's dry. while i know that some
algae won't really hurt him, it looks really ugly in the pool like that.
besides, if algae is present, i can't help but wonder what other
bacteria might be present...............

I can pretty much guarantee you have rats and mice in your yard. There
isn't a part of land which has no rats or mice on it. I can't believe
there is this much uproar about an inflatable pool! Drain it, wash it
out with soapy water and fill it again. I wouldn't suggest you put
any chemicals in the inflatable pool or the pool may disintegrate. I
wouldn't let my pets go into an algae pool, so a child? I don't think
so. I assure you stagnant water is loaded with anerobic bacteria and
it 's a matter of time before they can be ingested. Please, an
inflatable pool...drain it and refill it.

Old 14-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee you have rats and mice in your yard. There
isn't a part of land which has no rats or mice on it. I can't believe
there is this much uproar about an inflatable pool! Drain it, wash it
out with soapy water and fill it again. I wouldn't suggest you put
any chemicals in the inflatable pool or the pool may disintegrate. I
wouldn't let my pets go into an algae pool, so a child? I don't think
so. I assure you stagnant water is loaded with anerobic bacteria and
it 's a matter of time before they can be ingested. Please, an
inflatable pool...drain it and refill it.

well excuse me..........................................

Old 14-07-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58:35 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

jangchub wrote:

I can pretty much guarantee you have rats and mice in your yard. There
isn't a part of land which has no rats or mice on it. I can't believe
there is this much uproar about an inflatable pool! Drain it, wash it
out with soapy water and fill it again. I wouldn't suggest you put
any chemicals in the inflatable pool or the pool may disintegrate. I
wouldn't let my pets go into an algae pool, so a child? I don't think
so. I assure you stagnant water is loaded with anerobic bacteria and
it 's a matter of time before they can be ingested. Please, an
inflatable pool...drain it and refill it.

Sorry, there is no excuse for this. I don't tip toe around and I also
don't apologize for it. It is a BLOW UP POOL. I have a fifty foot
long pool and don't have this much trouble.