Old 14-07-2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Blueberries: Mason-Dixon

Why are blueberries grown in the South bland while those grown in the
North are tart and tasty? Different cultivars or different climate? I live
in North Carolina but will not plant blueberries because I have never tasted
a blueberry grown south of New Jersey that tastes good. I have had a few
huckleberries from North Carolina and they were great.

Cheers,

Karl W., Eastern North Carolina

Old 14-07-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 13, 10:21 pm, "Wuensch, Karl L." wrote:
Why are blueberries grown in the South bland while those grown in the
North are tart and tasty? Different cultivars or different climate? I live
in North Carolina but will not plant blueberries because I have never tasted
a blueberry grown south of New Jersey that tastes good. I have had a few
huckleberries from North Carolina and they were great.

Karl,

The blueberries grown here in Florida are yummy! You might want to
have your soil tested. Plants grown in the proper soil and are
getting enough nutrients/sunlight/water should be bearing tasty
fruit.

Patrick

Old 15-07-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:40:48 -0700, wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:21 pm, "Wuensch, Karl L." wrote:
Why are blueberries grown in the South bland while those grown in
the
North are tart and tasty? Different cultivars or different climate? I
live
in North Carolina but will not plant blueberries because I have never
tasted
a blueberry grown south of New Jersey that tastes good. I have had a
few
huckleberries from North Carolina and they were great.

Karl,

The blueberries grown here in Florida are yummy! You might want to
have your soil tested. Plants grown in the proper soil and are
getting enough nutrients/sunlight/water should be bearing tasty
fruit.

Patrick

Blueberries supposedly need winter chill. I always wanted to grow
them, but for years, there was no variety that would do well, say, in
So.Calif. Eventually, I understand, a variety was developed, but I had
lost interest, so never tried it.

Would be interesting to hear from a food scientist what it is that
makes Northern berries so much tastier.

I devour them by the bushel when they come in from Canada
and Oregon. Starting to come in from S.America too.

Persephone

I don't know why, but I do know that the small amount I consume at high
altitude in the Northern Cascades are infinitely better than the ones I get
in the store - or even the ones I get from the Blueberry farms that dot
Bellevue/Seattle.

Note I said small amount - plants above 5,000 feet have enough trouble
without having to worry about humans eating all their offspring.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Eigenvector" expounded:

I don't know why, but I do know that the small amount I consume at high
altitude in the Northern Cascades are infinitely better than the ones I get
in the store - or even the ones I get from the Blueberry farms that dot
Bellevue/Seattle.

Note I said small amount - plants above 5,000 feet have enough trouble
without having to worry about humans eating all their offspring.

Our home in Maine is in a pine barren (as I've mentioned before).
About 2 acres are in wild .low-bush blueberries, planted by Mother (as
in nature). Today I picked probably 2.5 lbs before the horrendous
thunderstorms forced me inside. We do very little for them, other
than removing competitive growth. Now that hubby isn't up there
fulltime we've just purchased a DR brush cutter to try to get things
under more control (the sweet fern, low growing junipers and poplars
love the same soil and will shade out the blueberries).

These berries are the tastiest things, a pain to pick, but well worth
the effort! Now for some blueberry jam making......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

Wanted: Stone mason for indoor fireplace Wayne North Carolina 1 10-11-2005 05:44 AM
mason bees [email protected] Lawns 7 12-05-2004 08:02 PM
mason jar method? caterbro Roses 5 03-06-2003 04:56 PM
Rock Mason charges?? CP Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:08 AM