Old 19-07-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default sunflowers and squirrels

I am...was...so very proud of my dwarf sunflowers this year.
I grew them from seed, and they ALL came up! All 40 of them!
Happy little sunflower faces...sigh....
Now there are none.
I found 'evidence' along the top of the wooden fence that surrounds
the yard, leading me to believe it was a nasty SQRL! We have rabbits
too but they can't climb the fence.
There are a few sunflower plants that don't yet have flowers. Any
ideas on keeping the evil beasts from eating the next ones to come up?
Thanx!

Old 19-07-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Xoobee" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am...was...so very proud of my dwarf sunflowers this year.
I grew them from seed, and they ALL came up! All 40 of them!
Happy little sunflower faces...sigh....
Now there are none.
I found 'evidence' along the top of the wooden fence that surrounds
the yard, leading me to believe it was a nasty SQRL! We have rabbits
too but they can't climb the fence.
There are a few sunflower plants that don't yet have flowers. Any
ideas on keeping the evil beasts from eating the next ones to come up?
Thanx!

Ask everyone you know (including yourself) to save those mesh bags that
onions come in. Put them over the developing flowers and tie with any
non-plastic string. Ugly, but they work.

Old 19-07-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
I am...was...so very proud of my dwarf sunflowers this year.
I grew them from seed, and they ALL came up! All 40 of them!
Happy little sunflower faces...sigh....
Now there are none.
I found 'evidence' along the top of the wooden fence that surrounds
the yard, leading me to believe it was a nasty SQRL!

Evidence? What evidence do squirrels leave on a fence; paw prints,
DNA? I seriously doubt squirrels got your sunflowers, not if the
entire flower head is gone. And btw, because of their configuration
and how they grow sunflower seeds are essentially bird and squirrel
proof. I've watched squirrels and blue jays have conniptions trying
to find a way to get to my sunflowers, can't be done. I'd suggest
thinking about raccoons, they can easily scale most any fence and
they'd have no problem ripping off the entire flower heads and
carrying them off.

Old 19-07-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
[...]

well your blue jays may have problems with it, but the turtle doves here
love the sunflowers...........they scatter quite a few seeds, but they
get the job done!
Old 19-07-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
[...]

Same with the cardinals here.

Old 20-07-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
[...]

I don't believe yoose... unless what yoose call sunflowers ain't. No
bird on the planet can scavange a real sunflower while it's still on
the plant... just not a possibility. The sunflower head grows upside
down, and has a natural barrior all around the circumference that no
bird or squirrel can penetrate. I've been growing sunflowers for nigh
on 50 years, no bird or squirrel has ever gotten to my sunflower seeds
until I whack off the flower and allow them access.

I don't know what kind of wussy pansies yoose grow but these are
sunflowers:

http://i19.tinypic.com/4losnxj.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/6fqklmu.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/4tsxam8.jpg

Old 20-07-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

ups.com...

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
[...]

Whatever you say, Sheldon. My 7 foot tall sunflowers, grown from a packet of
seeds labeled "sunflowers", are not really sunflowers. And, the birds which
look look just like all other cardinals are actually cockatiels.

Old 20-07-2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

ups.com...

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:20?pm, Xoobee wrote:
[...]

A fine waste of breath Joe. Just leave the man alone on his street
corner, telling at the sky. God protects drunks and fools and Sheldon
must be covered by both.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 20-07-2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:17:02 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

A fine waste of breath Joe. Just leave the man alone on his street
corner, telling at the sky. God protects drunks and fools and Sheldon
must be covered by both.

And if he had a dog, he wouldn't need that butt-ugly welded wire crap
encircling his home, protecting his stuff.

Charlie

Most of us are happy when diaper-changing days are over, and prefer not to
be cleaning up crap for other creatures. It's nice to be able to wander out
in the yard at night, without having to watch where you're stepping.

Old 20-07-2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Most of us are happy when diaper-changing days are over, and prefer not to
be cleaning up crap for other creatures. It's nice to be able to wander out
in the yard at night, without having to watch where you're stepping.

Yea, but most of us don't hate dogs with a passion that will never
die. At least here in wreck.gardens I'm afraid it's only you who
lets such hatred cloud his heart (and mind!).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 20-07-2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Most of us are happy when diaper-changing days are over, and prefer not to
be cleaning up crap for other creatures. It's nice to be able to wander
out
in the yard at night, without having to watch where you're stepping.

Yea, but most of us don't hate dogs with a passion that will never
die. At least here in wreck.gardens I'm afraid it's only you who
lets such hatred cloud his heart (and mind!).
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

It's not hatred. It's realism. You probably don't much like mosquitoes, and
you probably kill a few now and then when they affect you too closely.
There's no fundamental difference between a dog and a mosquito.

Then, there's coprophilia, something which many dog owners are afflicted
with. Why they don't seek treatment is unexplainable.

Old 20-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

It's not hatred. It's realism. You probably don't much like mosquitoes, and
you probably kill a few now and then when they affect you too closely.
There's no fundamental difference between a dog and a mosquito.

You're so immersed in your hatred you've lost all sense of proportion
or reason. I don't much like mosquitoes, but my dislike of them
doesn''t cause me to diagnose other people with ailments, that's for
sure....

Old 20-07-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

It's not hatred. It's realism. You probably don't much like mosquitoes,
and
you probably kill a few now and then when they affect you too closely.
There's no fundamental difference between a dog and a mosquito.

You're so immersed in your hatred you've lost all sense of proportion
or reason. I don't much like mosquitoes, but my dislike of them
doesn''t cause me to diagnose other people with ailments, that's for
sure....

Then, there's coprophilia, something which many dog owners are afflicted
with. Why they don't seek treatment is unexplainable.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

Everybody is required to like dogs? Is that it? Some people find frogs
revolting. Some people totally freak out when they see a bee, even if they
are not allergic.

Why do you think dogs are so special?

Old 20-07-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Don't they have leash laws in western New York? I have dogs but my yard
is fenced. My dogs know where they can toilet and where they can't. It
was just a matter of scolding them when they picked an inappropriate
spot.

As tacky as it sounds, if an owner isn't going to clean up a mess that
they are responsible for, the street would be a better place than the
sidewalk.
Old 20-07-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

I'm addressing an attitude more than the physically dangerous or disgusting
things dogs do. In places where you're not allowed to keep a goat or some
chickens, people are allowed to keep dogs in the exact same phyical
confines. It's as if they're somehow considered a cut above other animals,
in a category of their own. They are not.