Old 31-08-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need help ID-ing a caterpillar

Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have
never seen before on my witch hazel.

It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll
take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get
binary groups.

Cheryl

Old 31-08-2007, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have
never seen before on my witch hazel.

It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll
take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get
binary groups.

Cheryl

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/MODELS/index.html

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il...s/bugmenu.html

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegallery/

The last url may be the place to start.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 31-08-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:03:27 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have
never seen before on my witch hazel.

It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll
take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get
binary groups.

Cheryl

A good little book to have:

Peterson First Guide to Caterpillars of North America
by Amy Bartlett Wright

Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin; 2Rev Ed edition (May 15, 1998)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0395911842
ISBN-13: 978-0395911846
Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 3.7 x 0.4 inches
Price: $5.95

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-First.../dp/0395911842

Short and sweet book that is easy to thumb through and look
at the pictures/drawings. There are some larger, more in
depth books but this one isn't bad for the money (yes I have
one and it gets used

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 31-08-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Got my answer ! Need help ID-ing a caterpillar

It's a red humped caterpillar - I found the Princeton Guide to Caterpillars
at the library. It doesn't even become a pretty butterfly but a rather drab
moth....
Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 31-08-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 8/31/07 2:46 PM, in article
, "Leon Fisk"

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-First...a-Guides/dp/03
95911842

Short and sweet book that is easy to thumb through and look
at the pictures/drawings. There are some larger, more in
depth books but this one isn't bad for the money (yes I have
one and it gets used

I may nab that

Cheryl

Check for best pricing at www.fetchbook.info which searches through
hundreds of online book stores for the best available price.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/31/07 7:04 PM, in article ,
"Lar" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Does any know of an outstanding site? I have one (actually it is two) I have
never seen before on my witch hazel.

It has a red head and "red hunchback" if those traits ring any bells. I'll
take a picture and throw myself on someone's mercy to post it - I don't get
binary groups.

Cheryl

The caterpillars of "Hairstreak butterflies" come in various colors, but
are described as slug shaped (hunch backed?)

http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/CaterpillarGreen03.jpg
this is not the color of yours, but possibly the same shape?

Lar

I've found it - a red humped caterpillar.....

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:38:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

It's a red humped caterpillar - I found the Princeton Guide to Caterpillars
at the library. It doesn't even become a pretty butterfly but a rather drab
moth....
Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi Cheryl,

That is a relatively new book and is on my wish list It
isn't all that expensive either. Just shy of $20 via Amazon.

The small Peterson book has been around for awhile now and
used to be about the only decent reference available for
caterpillars. It was recommended to me by a respected
Naturalist (at least respected by me .

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b