Old 13-09-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Norway Maple - Northern California

Myrl expounded:

On Sep 13, 4:09 am, Ann wrote:

The Norway Maple is on many states' invasive plant list. I'd pick
another tree.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Back to the drawing board. . .Do you happen to know of any other trees
that would be similar in appearance, but wouldn't be considered
"invasive"???

That term "invasive" reminds me too much of the worm and mole problem,
I'm also experiencing;-(

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Please ignore Sheldon's idiocy. He's already been proven wrong on
this, but I guess I'll have to do it again.

Follow any of these links to see how bad Norway Maples actually are.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Norwa...ient=firefox-a

Then I would go to a local nursery and discuss your needs with them.
They will be able to give you better, more specific recommendations
than I can, since I'm on the right coast and you're on the left )
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************
Old 13-09-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Myrl expounded:

I'm still trying to figure out what an "invasive" tree does? Does
that mean it volunteers, and sends out seedlings far and wide?

In the Norway Maple's case, it seeds itself prolifically, and the
seedlings grow voraciously, shading out any of the native tree
seedlings. They do make great shade trees if you're a self-centered
human like someone else in this thread, but if you care a bit about
the environment you won't grow them.
Old 13-09-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Myrl" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 13, 10:57 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 13, 9:59?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

The Norway maple will have a shallow root system, and eventually,
nothing
will grow under the tree but weeds.

BS

People sometimes try and create raised
beds under these trees, filling the area with soil. The tree laughs
and
sends its roots upward, thereby creating the same situation as before.

BS

Sorry, Shelly, but I've seen this happen in at least a half dozen
instances.
Now, if you have an acre or more, and you can stick the tree far from any
other plantings you might want, I'm sure it would be fine.

This cannot be debated. I never lie and I'm always right. You, on the
other
hand, are over it. Way over it.

LOL - I have never seen you two go at it like this on the "Cooking"
newsgroup;-)

If he gives incorrect advice for cooking, the mistake only lasts a little
while, or until the leftovers are gone. A tree is a different story.

Old 13-09-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Myrl wrote:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/

Incredibly beautiful Sycamores on the webpage link you sent.

Probably my favorite tree. I planted two here when I first moved
in... of course even though planetrees grow fast I won't be here when
they actually become trees, but people plant trees for the next
generation. I'm sure the trees in that photo are at least 150 years
old. Mine were bare root seedlings not much larger than a stick of
spaghetti about 4 years ago. I wanted larger but after extensive
searching no one nearby had any, it's rare to find them at nurserys.

There are those two planetrees on either side of the road to my barn,
about 9-10 feet tall now, but still mere babies. The tree planted to
the left is a ginko, that will take much longer to become a tree,
ginkgos typically live more than 2,000 years, some twice that.
Ginkgos are another of my favorites, I planted two of those also...
those need a lot of space too, but none of us, our great grand
children or even their great grand children will be around anymore
when my gingkos get to where they need half the space I provided.

A very interesting and beautiful site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten

Old 13-09-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry, forgot the link: http://i15.tinypic.com/52olwd0.jpg

Old 13-09-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 11:50 am, Sheldon wrote:

Sorry, forgot the link:http://i15.tinypic.com/52olwd0.jpg-

That's an incredibly beautiful setting. I'm also fond of Ginkos, but
prefer the shape of the Sycamores.

Please tell me that massive lawn in the picture, doesn't have little
worm mounds on the surface, and mole tunnels running through it;-)

Old 13-09-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 11:15 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

If he gives incorrect advice for cooking, the mistake only lasts a little
while, or until the leftovers are gone. A tree is a different story.-

You guys are killin' me;-). . .Play nice kids, it's just a tree;-) At
least you guys are interested in planting trees. I have had a couple
of relationships with guys that seem hell bent on chain sawing them
down. I came to the realization, they may have not wanted any trees
out there standing taller than their's;-(

Old 14-09-2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:57:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

This cannot be debated. I never lie and I'm always right. You, on the
other
hand, are over it. Way over it.

Et tu, Joe?

The attitude of *most* of us on the USENET, eh? ;-)

Charlie

But Charlie - it's true! I'm always right. :-)

Old 14-09-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 12, 8:08 pm, Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
I recall a few months back that I was involved in a discussion about
replacing a tree in my front yard. During the discussion, I pretty
much decided to select a Norway Maple.

I'm nearly ready to purchase that tree, but have one more question.
Do any of you know, if Norwa Maples do well in Sacramento - Northern
California (no snow, but lots of summer heat)?

Thank you!

Myrl Jeffcoathttp://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Hi Myrl
Nice to hear from you again.
Here is what Sunset Western Garden Book says about Norway Maple:
"Once a widely recommended street tree but now strogly objected to
because of voracious roots, sel sown seedlings, and aphid caused
honeydew deip and sooty mold." 50 to 60 feet tall!!

I have a Trident Maple, which has very good color, and gets about
25-30 feet tall. It does not produce seedlings, and seems (so far)
not to be susceptible to aphids. It's a very attractive tree. (I
started
it from a seed so it has taken a while to attain about 15-20 feet
right
now) Trident Maple is fairly popular here. Norways are not.
I live north of you in Butte County so our climate is very similar.

It might be interesting to see what the Sac. Tree Group has to
say anyway.

Good luck with your tree.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 14-09-2007, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 6:35 pm, mleblanca wrote:
[...]

Emilie - Thank you so much for the suggestion. . .Yes, that looks like
a really good candidate, and definitely worth considering!

By the way, I camped with my kids up at Black Buttes over Memorial Day
weekend. Very beautiful and interesting area!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 14-09-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 14, 7:14 am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

But Charlie - it's true! I'm always right. :-)

You must be wrong about some things , Joe, because your name is not
Sheldon (blame your parents for that, but it's never too late to
change).

Sheldette.

Ms. Baraclough,

A personal question, if you please. One acceptable answer is: "none
of your business".
I have come across your surname only once befo an officer and short
time friend (our assignments overlapped only a few months) at McChord
AFB in WA state in the late 70's. Any relation?

cheers

oz, who misses the sea run cutt fishing in the Nisqually River

Old 15-09-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from MajorOz contains these words:

Ms. Baraclough,

A personal question, if you please. One acceptable answer is: "none
of your business".
I have come across your surname only once befo an officer and short
time friend (our assignments overlapped only a few months) at McChord
AFB in WA state in the late 70's. Any relation?

No, not that I know of (I'm in the UK).

The people who rented my house before I bought it put their names
inside of the mailbox. One of the names, if I am not mistaken,
was Baraclough.

Old 15-09-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 14, 8:33?pm, "KarenCannoli" wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

... The message . com
from MajorOz contains these words:

Ms. Baraclough,

A personal question, if you please. One acceptable answer is: "none
of your business".
I have come across your surname only once befo an officer and short
time friend (our assignments overlapped only a few months) at McChord
AFB in WA state in the late 70's. Any relation?

No, not that I know of (I'm in the UK).

The people who rented my house before I bought it put their names
inside of the mailbox. One of the names, if I am not mistaken,
was Baraclough.

There probably aren't too many people named Karen Cannoli either.

Old 15-09-2007, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

ups.com...

Old 15-09-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 13, 4:32?pm, Myrl wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:50 am, Sheldon wrote:

Sorry, forgot the link:http://i15.tinypic.com/52olwd0.jpg-

That's an incredibly beautiful setting. I'm also fond of Ginkos, but
prefer the shape of the Sycamores.

Please tell me that massive lawn in the picture, doesn't have little
worm mounds on the surface, and mole tunnels running through it;-)

It depends on time of year, early spring and fall there are some worm
castings at the surface but they don't last long, the robins see to
that. And as for moles, voles, and field mice, snakes, frogs, etc.
that population stays under control, that's the raptor's job. I don't
apply any lawn chemicals, no one around here does. I much prefer
healthy critters than perfect golf course. Actually I never see mole
holes in my lawn except some at the extreme edges, small animals know
better than to surface out in the open, even the rabbits know to keep
to the very edges of the woods. No one leaves their cats and dogs out
here either, they wouldn't last more than a day or two before they'd
become a meal... a house cat wouldn't make it across my lawn even once
before some raptor carries it off, and even the largest most ferocious
dog, if it survived through the day it wouldn't make the first night,
if a mountain lion doesn't get it the coyotes will.