Old 15-09-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Norway Maple - Northern California

Sheldon wrote in
oups.com:

On Sep 13, 4:32?pm, Myrl wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:50 am, Sheldon wrote:

Sorry, forgot the
link:http://i15.tinypic.com/52olwd0.jpg-

That's an incredibly beautiful setting. I'm also fond of
Ginkos, but prefer the shape of the Sycamores.

Please tell me that massive lawn in the picture, doesn't
have little worm mounds on the surface, and mole tunnels
running through it;-)

It depends on time of year, early spring and fall there are
some worm castings at the surface but they don't last long,
the robins see to that. And as for moles, voles, and field
mice, snakes, frogs, etc. that population stays under
control, that's the raptor's job. I don't apply any lawn
chemicals, no one around here does. I much prefer healthy
critters than perfect golf course. Actually I never see
mole holes in my lawn except some at the extreme edges,
small animals know better than to surface out in the open,
even the rabbits know to keep to the very edges of the
woods. No one leaves their cats and dogs out here either,
they wouldn't last more than a day or two before they'd
become a meal... a house cat wouldn't make it across my
lawn even once before some raptor carries it off, and even
the largest most ferocious dog, if it survived through the
day it wouldn't make the first night, if a mountain lion
doesn't get it the coyotes will.

more crap. really Sheldon, unless you have eagles & possibly
Great Horned owls, no raptor is going after a cat. they're too
big. my barn cats are free ranging & i have all kinds of
hawks, vultures, & owls (including Great Horned), and the cats
are 5 years old, healthy & still alive. cars are far more of a
danger to outdoor cats than raptors or coyotes. (if you had
mentioned fisher cats, i'd agree. fishers will break into a
house to eat fresh cat.)
the coyotes would be more of a threat, but they seldom come
down from the mountain & across the pasture (where the llamas
are waiting to stomp them into goo). besides, the standard
diet for a coyote is the same as a fox: mice, moles, voles,
frogs, snakes, & the occaisional rabbit or chicken.
as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything but
a kick-me size "dog".
and i sincerely doubt you have any mountain lions in your
neighborhood.

lee
--
"the Government of the United States is not, in any sense,
founded on the Christian religion."
Old 15-09-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything but
a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

Old 15-09-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 15, 12:29?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything but
a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

You're more ig'nant/smarmy than lee, the length of your nose is
quickly catching up with his too... ONE coyote. Ahahahaha

Old 15-09-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything
but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

you're welcome.
my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets
really ****ed off.
lee has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute.
neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors

Old 15-09-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything
but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

you're welcome.
my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets
really ****ed off.
lee has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute.
neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors

One of my favorite Far Side cartoon shows a kick-me dog standing on a
stepstool, little cup in hand, at an espresso machine on the counter.
Caption: "While their owners sleep, small dogs prepare for their day."

Pass the ammo.

Old 15-09-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in
ups.com:

On Sep 15, 12:29?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with
anything but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

You're more ig'nant/smarmy than lee, the length of your
nose is quickly catching up with his too... ONE coyote.
Ahahahaha

you know damn well i'm not a "he", you ignorant cityboy.
coyotes hunt in small family groups or alone. we're not
talking wolves here. even a family group of coyotes isn't
going to mess with a real dog.
i actually haven't heard the local coyotes since i shot the
rabid mom with her pup in my front yard last summer... pity. i
like listening to them.

lee
Old 18-09-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything
but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

you're welcome.
my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets
really ****ed off.
lee has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute.
neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors

I call them blender dogs BSEG
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 18-09-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
enigma expounded:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything
but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

you're welcome.
my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets
really ****ed off.
lee has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute.
neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors

I call them blender dogs BSEG

You sick woman. That's wonderful. :-)

Old 18-09-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in
:

enigma expounded:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..

as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything
but a kick-me size "dog".

kick-me size
ROFL!
Thanks. :-)

you're welcome.
my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets
really ****ed off.
lee has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute.
neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors

I call them blender dogs BSEG

oooh! i like that.
Snack is the niece's 2nd chihuahua. the first one she got for
Christmas & her brother accidentally stepped on it. it died.
not the type of dog a person with a toddler should own, if
it's that fragile!
i really do prefer dogs that you can at least see, but i'm
more of a cat person at heart.
lee

Old 18-09-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

Snack is the niece's 2nd chihuahua. the first one she got for
Christmas & her brother accidentally stepped on it. it died.
not the type of dog a person with a toddler should own, if
it's that fragile!

Oooh, yes, I agree completely.

i really do prefer dogs that you can at least see, but i'm
more of a cat person at heart.

I'm both. I love my kitties, but miss my four-legged daughter, who
was definitely easy to see (basset hound). Well-behaved, on a leash
always, and always picked up after (Promise, Joe)